Heading to AZ...by way of CA. Can I bring a few cased handguns?

This is a discussion on Heading to AZ...by way of CA. Can I bring a few cased handguns? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm flying to California for a two day biz trip then flying to AZ to visit friends before heading home. Any problem declaring my firearms ...

Thread: Heading to AZ...by way of CA. Can I bring a few cased handguns?

Heading to AZ...by way of CA. Can I bring a few cased handguns?

I'm flying to California for a two day biz trip then flying to AZ to visit friends before heading home. Any problem declaring my firearms in locked cases/ checked luggage? I'll keep them locked in CA, no ammo.
    Haven't researched yet.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Just make sure your mags are CA legal (10 round max) and that everything stays in the trunk and locked up. Then when you get to AZ, load it up and wear it. Just be aware of all applicable laws as always and IANAL.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Thanks for responding, glad it's reasonable.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

I think I would rather drive! And I would miss all the TSA groping, too.

Also, be aware that not ALL of AZ has the same level of gun-friendliness. Tucson is the center of liberalism in AZ, and the local cops (and Pima County Sheriff) are allegedly far less tolerant of open carry and an armed civilian populace than the cities and counties up north. Tombstone still expects (demands?) you to disarm, but maybe that's to preserve the Wyatt Earp mythology. If you're visiting, I suggest keeping a low profile and keeping Mr. Roscoe concealed.

And depending on where you're headed in AZ, we have some great public ranges - Ben Avery north of Phoenix, and Rio Salado to the east. Stay safe, and enjoy!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

CA laws are funky,They have gun lists that if the gun ain't on the list it can't be imported,not sure how that works with flying in,Need some CA members that know more than I ever will about the laws in CA
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Most of mine are not legal in CA for one reason or another.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

You can bring in your guns - regardless of whether they are on the CA "safe gun roster" - as long as they are your basic handgun. (Not talking AR pistols here, different considerations.) You must DISASSEMBLE any magazines over 10-round. Not a big deal but a PITA.

It does not make any difference if the magazine stays assembled in your gun case or locked away in luggage. It's a (stupid) felony to IMPORT a standard capacity (10+) magazine into CA. If you want to use the guns while in CA, just buy the 10-rd magazines that you need. You can have a loaded magazine locked inside the same case as your pistol but you cannot have that loaded magazine inserted into the grip of the handgun. That's the difference between "not loaded" and "loaded" here.

When you travel back to a more sensible gun state, just reassemble the magazines. (Think of this as a much needed opportunity to clean your magazines, something that many of us fail to do often enough. <sarcasm>No need to thank CA for that reminder. </sarcasm>

Thanks again for the aggregate responses. Glad I can pack a few M1911s in a case, nothing over 10 round mag. Will be shooting rounds of golf and out guns in AZ. Been to the Ben Avery complex a few times, great facility. Really cool sporting clay courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    You can bring in your guns - regardless of whether they are on the CA "safe gun roster" - as long as they are your basic handgun. (Not talking AR pistols here, different considerations.) You must DISASSEMBLE any magazines over 10-round. Not a big deal but a PITA.

It does not make any difference if the magazine stays assembled in your gun case or locked away in luggage. It's a (stupid) felony to IMPORT a standard capacity (10+) magazine into CA. If you want to use the guns while in CA, just buy the 10-rd magazines that you need. You can have a loaded magazine locked inside the same case as your pistol but you cannot have that loaded magazine inserted into the grip of the handgun. That's the difference between "not loaded" and "loaded" here.

When you travel back to a more sensible gun state, just reassemble the magazines. (Think of this as a much needed opportunity to clean your magazines, something that many of us fail to do often enough. <sarcasm>No need to thank CA for that reminder. </sarcasm>
    How is it that such restrictive gun laws can pass constitutional scrutiny?
    Everyday, amateur gun enthusiast. Active duty, Army.
    Read my gun blog!
    MyGunDiary.com

Quote Originally Posted by GunLover69 View Post
    How is it that such restrictive gun laws can pass constitutional scrutiny?
    That's easy. First, you have to draw your voting districts so they are filled with voters who will elect ultra-liberal legislators. Then those legislators redraw those districts to protect their own power bases and further weaken the opposition. Now these legislators cater to the liberal voters by creating entitlements and public employee unions getting other benefits (like pensions unsustained by employee contributions, etc.) Now the left essentially owns the legislative and executive branches. The executive branch appoints liberal state judges who sign off on whatever the left wants. Constitutionality is pretty much irrelevant in the state judicial realm.

The most successful legal challenges in CA have happened recently by targeting the RIGHT cause with the RIGHT plaintiff and in the RIGHT court, typically a FEDERAL court. Often a CA case is delayed by gun rights advocates here while awaiting a stronger ruling in another federal district. Then, with THAT precedent in hand, CA's gun advocates advance the CA case. Federal judges tend to pay attention to other federal rulings. And our side does everything it can to avoid giving the 9th Circuit a chance to overturn or further delay our gun cases.

Our guys have become very good at this tactical game. They need to be since the other side is as underhanded as they come. They don't fight fair. They now have a supermajority in the legislature (meaning Republicans have absolutely no chance of stopping any legislation). The Dems also have the support of the teachers and public employee unions. On the other side, our governor's first tour was capped by his introduction of collective bargaining for public employees. Today, he gets to deal with what he started. Oh yeah, CA's budget is projected to have a $16 BILLION deficit. Of course, in Nov. he expects us to vote to increase our taxes. Of course he does. Nobody said you had to be sane to get elected in CA!

Links