Garage intruder at gunpoint - Page 2

Garage intruder at gunpoint

This is a discussion on Garage intruder at gunpoint within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I agree with the home owner. I think he did the right thing....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Garage intruder at gunpoint

I agree with the home owner. I think he did the right thing.

I'm not sure, and would have to look around. I would think if it's attached to the house with direct access it would be considered part of the dwelling.

Quote Originally Posted by ping.brady View Post
    In OR is the garage considered part of the home? Thought some states consider this an area you can defend and other you cannot.
    This one happened in mid Feb and is very close(less than a minute driving) to where my home is,SE Bend Homeowner Holds Burglar at Gunpoint - News Story - KTVZ Bend

I have a detached garage.If I have an intruder in the garage I call 911 and wait with gun in hand.If he comes in the house, thats a different story.

VIP Member
    @ 2ft I'm not presenting a gun without firing. I'm probably not going to present at all if I can
    kick him off and gain some space and time. It is too easy to get it grabbed and taken.

+10 on letting him leave. Less messy and far less trouble that way.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

If he is in my garage I figure he has some kind of tool/weapon he used to break in with. I would COMMAND him to hit the ground and I wouldn't be backing up. If the perp continues to advance he is getting two 180grn HST 40 S&W to the chest. To let someone get that close to you and while your backing up you trip or stumble. He is on you in a flash then ya can watch your wife being raped and your children murdered. Graphic I know but it happens and I am NOT going to let that happen to me if I can prevent it. Glad all turned out well but could have gone horribly wrong for him and his family.
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

I respect a man that has that kind of restraint. He did the right thing all though I don't know that bad guy would have gotten that close to me. Any overt movement towards me or a family member would probably end badly for the bad guy.

I agree two feet could lead to a real bad situation real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by jaksvalk View Post
    I have a detached garage.If I have an intruder in the garage I call 911 and wait with gun in hand.If he comes in the house, thats a different story.
    I also have an detached garage (man cave) that I actually spend more time in than my home, sometimes sleeping in the garage as it's setup like an apt. I've wondered if my states castle doctrine applies when I'm in the garage sleeping or awake.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SATCHMO1960 View Post
    If he is in my garage I figure he has some kind of tool/weapon he used to break in with. I would COMMAND him to hit the ground and I wouldn't be backing up. If the perp continues to advance he is getting two 180grn HST 40 S&W to the chest. To let someone get that close to you and while your backing up you trip or stumble. He is on you in a flash then ya can watch your wife being raped and your children murdered. Graphic I know but it happens and I am NOT going to let that happen to me if I can prevent it. Glad all turned out well but could have gone horribly wrong for him and his family.
    Keep innocuous looking items in the garage that can be used as weapons; the BG may not be sharp enough to think of
    grabbing your shovel because he thinks his gun or knife and BG looks is the be all that will scare you so much you won't do anything.

An old cinder or cement block works pretty good, to say nothing of hammer, screw driver, box cutter.

You are on your own turf. You know where the good stuff is. You know where that Bernz-O-Matic with an auto light is sitting.

The BG is "blind" and focused on intimidating.

You just have to drive home the point that intimidation isn't going to work-- which this man did with his laser light.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

He moved toward his two cars parked in the garage -- and the intruder, now identified by police as Torkelson, stood up and began moving towards him.
    "He kept coming at me, closer and closer, so I was backing up to the doorway," Stewart recalled. "At that point, I have a laser on the gun, so I pushed the red button and pointed it at his chest. At that moment, I think he realized I did have a gun, and he just froze."
    I have had 2 buddies murdered by thieves; his first step towards me would have been his last.

Amen brother ^^^^^^^^^
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Sounds like the situation turned out about as favorable as it could have, no need to shoot someone if you dont have to. Even if they deserve it, there has to be long term mental ramifications(stress, nightmares, etc.) from killing someone. With that being said, I dont think I would ever let a BG get that close to me without shooting him. Everything changes in the heat of the moment, but I dont believe I would let him take more than one step toward me before I pulled the trigger, its just too risky.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGreg View Post
    Glad nothing happened to the guy, but the article says the intruder was within 2 feet of him before he turned on the laser and stopped him. I'd say the homeowner is lucky the bad guy didn't knock the gun aside and potentially use it against him.
    He is lucky the guy didn't have a gun to start with,sounds like a good way to get yourself killed,and if that wasn't bad enough let the guy get within 2 feet,if the guy had a knife he could have attacked and cut the homeowner to pieces before he pulled the trigger.Some people think that just because they are holding a gun they have the advantage.
    This is the perfect example of somebody confronting a criminal,but they don't want to use the gun and the criminal can since their fear and hesitation.He decides to advance and he is getting double tapped.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    He is lucky the guy didn't have a gun to start with,sounds like a good way to get yourself killed,and if that wasn't bad enough let the guy get within 2 feet,if the guy had a knife he could have attacked and cut the homeowner to pieces before he pulled the trigger.Some people think that just because they are holding a gun they have the advantage.
    This is the perfect example of somebody confronting a criminal,but they don't want to use the gun and the criminal can since their fear and hesitation.He decides to advance and he is getting double tapped.
    Yep, it would seem, our homeowner needs to adjust his mindset. The next BG might not be so nice...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Good outcomes in spite of poor choices, all way around.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Being new to CC and with Wisconsin's new castle law I am learning a ton of good info from this site. One guy posted that his carry guns are chrome or stainless for the bg to see. A bg SEEING a weapon pointed at him can be a show stopper as was in this case when the guy saw the lazer and realized the homeowner had a gun. I want any advantage to end a confrontation in my favor, prefferably not having to shoot. I'd have been yelling, show me your hands, lay on ther floor hands out, Don't move!! Just like the cops do. If he ran towards the door, I'd let him run as long as it wasn't towards me. Advancing within 2 feet!!??? BANG! This homeowner had some kahoonas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links