Garage intruder at gunpoint

This is a discussion on Garage intruder at gunpoint within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Woke up to this story this morning and just thought I'd share. I live in a fairly small town here in OR and this seems ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Garage intruder at gunpoint

Garage intruder at gunpoint

Woke up to this story this morning and just thought I'd share. I live in a fairly small town here in OR and this seems to be trend that's been happening. This is the 2nd time in about 2 months that an intruder has gotten away after being stopped at gunpoint.

Read or watch video.
    Broken Top Man Holds Gun on Garage Intruder - News Story - KTVZ Bend

Learning from this; would you want to try to detain the person?

2. Remove Ads

I would not have tried to detain him.

This is going to fuel the debate of whether or not lasers scare criminals....
    bigmacque likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Trying to detain an intruder who turns and walks quickly away is difficult......had this happened to me many years ago with a B&E on a rental property we owned....other than physicality......I guess the best thing is to let them leave and dial 911 asap......as I did back when.

he should have made him drop his wallet that way if he takes off you still have his name and address.
    On a lighter note I would have pulled the trigger and lessened the chance of him coming back
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

EdC
    Nope. The longer he stays, the longer I'm in danger.
    claude clay and rammerjammer like this.

Yeh, the laser is an interesting point.

Glad nothing happened to the guy, but the article says the intruder was within 2 feet of him before he turned on the laser and stopped him. I'd say the homeowner is lucky the bad guy didn't knock the gun aside and potentially use it against him.
    Hopyard, dukalmighty and Bark'n like this.

Totally agree, I'm not sure I'd want to let him get that close. For someone to close the distance on 10 feet let alone 2 feet would be a split second.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGreg View Post
    Glad nothing happened to the guy, but the article says the intruder was within 2 feet of him before he turned on the laser and stopped him. I'd say the homeowner is lucky the bad guy didn't knock the gun aside and potentially use it against him.

"He kept coming at me, closer and closer, so I was backing up to the doorway," Stewart recalled. "At that point, I have a laser on the gun, so I pushed the red button and pointed it at his chest. At that moment, I think he realized I did have a gun, and he just froze."
    I'm thinking that if he was to come towards me like the homeowner stated here, he'd probably of been shot... 2' is definitely closer than i'd of let the guy get. I'm wondering why the gentleman didn't have his wife call 911 during the time he was grabbing his gun to head to the garage. If it's a "fairly small town" then there's no reason that the police couldn't have arrived during the timeframe of this encounter. Getting woken up, grabbing gun (and possibly pants), heading to the garage, opening the door, and confronting the intruder had to have taken at least 5mins.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

It seems as though the suspect did not see the gun or believe he had a gun until the laser was on. I wonder if the home owner announced that he was armed and willing to shoot before the laser was activated.

Successful home defense. No need to detain or follow the suspect, and increase the risk. He got the message.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I'm jealous of his crimson trace :/
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Successful outcome, but I am too old to let someone get that close. Someone advancing on me in the dark in my house at night gets ID (friend or foe) right before I end the threat. That would be at a much greater distance than two feet. At my age, the flight or fight options are no longer viable. I am glad it turned out well for this homeowner.

VIP Member
    Any word on the dog?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Nope. The longer he stays, the longer I'm in danger.
    and the longer you have your gun out--the harder it is to put it away

from his POV if you do not use it right away, and he can worm his way closer to you as you are being, again--from his POV--indecisive...
    he may think he can take it away from you

-----------------
    best to incite him to leave; faster the better
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

In OR is the garage considered part of the home? Thought some states consider this an area you can defend and other you cannot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links