Need suggestions. Apartment security. - Page 2

Need suggestions. Apartment security.

This is a discussion on Need suggestions. Apartment security. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Get a safe, you'll need one eventually, anyway......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need suggestions. Apartment security.

Get a safe, you'll need one eventually, anyway...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Get a safe, you'll need one eventually, anyway...
    Have one. It's in my storage unit in FLorida. I'm going down to get it in 3 weeks.

when all fails, the best security is to move to a safer area..

Sheet metal reinforcement of door jamb or call in sick one day and lay low with 12GA. I simply hated apartment living since many knew when I came and went. I absolutely hate displaying my schedule to the world. Breaking up habits is good. Maybe start a neighborhood watch program where you live. Hey.....no sense laughing about it.......more than likely there's a few old ladies that have nothing better to do than talk about what happened today. I know.....I'm the last one to ask about networking with neighbors because I trust nobody. Thing is....they can be a good ally in certain situations. Well, take it from here I guess. You will either be home when the break in happens or you won't. I have never heard of any laws pertaining to booby trapping your own house. I do know you can't booby trap your mail box. Take it as you may.

My next door neighbors are both avid shooters and NRA life members. I met them swapped numbers etc. Our schedules mix pretty well. The apartment manager also lives in my building and got shaken up by how brazen the break ins were so now he is checking in randomly through out the day.

Who is actually going to be in the best position to put an end to these things? Lynch mob comes to mind. Forgive me......I'm in favor of the old ways when they got hanged.

If you want something that drops right in to your door (maybe with some edge bore modification, and assuming from the edge of your door to the keyhole measures 2 3/4") go to a lock shop, not home depot and get a Schlage B600-Series deadbolt. Not BC, not anything but B600. And an A-series lockset. You can probably find something to match the apartment, assuming it's knobs. (Plymouth or Georgian) If your door is standard (a lot of apartments aren't) it will have a 5.5" Center to Center spread between the 2 1/8" holes and you can purchase a security strike. It will require some chiseling to install on the jamb side that wont make the apt managers happy. But will penetrate well beyond the door casing and would require some significant effort to defeat and still look the same. Other hardware solutions will require much more modification to the door or a new door. Latch guards probably aren't an option as I am sure the door swings in to the apartment. ... All that being said, locks are for honest people. But I'd bet the apartment building is filled with garbage door hardware. That's my professional opinion, at least ;) ...Haha just linked the ultimate deadbolt test.... What a coincidence B600.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

I looked into getting Abloy deadbolts with an expanding bolt. Too expensive for me, but maybe not for you.

https://securitysnobs.com/Abloy-Expanding-Bolt.html

Just some thoughts...if you don't have renter's insurance, I would invest in that. Leave a radio on when you aren't there, preferably tuned to a talk radio station. Hang a sign on the outside of the door that says "Day Sleeper..Do Not Disturb". Anything that gives the impression that the apartment is occupied might make the thieves choose another unit.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Just some thoughts...if you don't have renter's insurance, I would invest in that. Leave a radio on when you aren't there, preferably tuned to a talk radio station. Hang a sign on the outside of the door that says "Day Sleeper..Do Not Disturb". Anything that gives the impression that the apartment is occupied might make the thieves choose another unit.
    I do have insurance the radio and sign are a good idea. Never thought of that. The expanding bolt isn't a bad idea. I wonder if it would work with my current lock and just have to put the reinforced plate in the frame. The manager would prob be ok having his guy do that for me.

If you're handy or have friends that are, just go crazy with it and you'll be able to repair any modifications before your lease is up to get your security deposit back.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links