Need suggestions. Apartment security.

This is a discussion on Need suggestions. Apartment security. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alright so today two apartments in my building got broken into during the day while everyone was at work. The perps took a pry bar ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions. Apartment security.

Need suggestions. Apartment security.

Alright so today two apartments in my building got broken into during the day while everyone was at work. The perps took a pry bar and bent the deadbolt. The door jam wasn't really eaten up at all. I'm trying to think of a way to beef up my entry way that the apartment will allow. (Steel plate along the door jam to reinforce it.) I need suggestions. I'm not worried about when i'm here as I have a loaded weapon within grabbing distance at all times. I need a solution that will help while I'm gone. (I have a buddy fabbing up a 1/8 steel plate 24'' long to mount along my door jam to take up the space so the door barely clears it so if they try bending the deadbolt again they will have to disassemble the door to get it open. I think that is my only option. I dunno toss some ideas at me.

2. Remove Ads

This one got pretty good reviews and is not too expensive.
    Home Security Door and Frame Reinforcement Kit-SDSW2HN at The Home Depot

See my only problem with this product is it doesn't seem to be geared towards how they are getting into our apartments. There was little to no dmg to the strike plate. They bent the actual bolt of the deadbolt. Maybe a strike plate trimmed to be a snug fit on the deadbolt so they can't get it bent. So it may actually help. Thanks for the post.

VIP Member
    Probably won't help much, but maybe a "door alarm" would help.
    Maybe they'll ignore it. Maybe they'll decide to go else where. Never know. But it won't cost two arms and three
    legs and isn't an illegal booby-trap.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Is a better / longer throw deadbolt a possibility? Longer hardened screws?
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I'm going to call the apartment manager and ask him what all they will allow me to do. I know to change locks I have to go through them so we'll see as far as that goes. As far as modifying the door frame as long as I don't make holes larger than my pinky anything is game. On a bad note I found out this evening that they got my neighbors 9mm. So if they come back they will potentially be armed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Probably won't help much, but maybe a "door alarm" would help.
    Maybe they'll ignore it. Maybe they'll decide to go else where. Never know. But it won't cost two arms and three
    legs and isn't an illegal booby-trap.
    I'd check into this one, and as loud as you can get it. They don't like noise. Another choice is a large/loud dog!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'd check into this one, and as loud as you can get it. They don't like noise. Another choice is a large/loud dog!
    I have a doberman. Finding a place to rent with her is impossible so I can't bring her here. No dogs allowed at all. All you can have is cats and sorry to any cat people I don't believe they are real pets.

The wife and I have a small door alarm that just has a switch to turn it on. It's loud enough to rouse us out of sleep. Other than that we can't do much. The deadbolt with a longer throw is definitely a thought, as is the door reinforcement. Us being on the 3rd floor helps some. Not many people want to carry their haul down two flights of stairs.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Might deture and cheep...You can buy fake security system stickers and put it on the door.
    This alarm seems pretty good....Remote Control Door Alarm 100 Decibel

When you say they bent the bolt of the deadbolt, the actual bolt or the cylinder out of the door frame?
    I've forced alot of doors in my day and can't recall a time the actual bolt was bent, usually the cylinder or the door frame gives up the ghost first. Are they steel frames? Wooden frames? On alot of doors there is enough "spring" in the frame that you can flex the frame and the door will pop open and have very minimal damage... I've forced open doors will a halligan bar that have locked right back up like nothing happened.
    Doors are pretty weak generally...
    I'd second the recommendations about reinforcing the door jam, maybe a deadbolt with a longer throw, you should be able to goto a locksmith and get a deadbolt with a longer throw keyed like the current one, I had this done at a rental property before.

http://www.arolock.com/ultimate_deadbolt_door_test.htm
    Interesting results here...

http://www.armorconcepts.com/

Something else to consider are the hinges... Right behind the lock, they are probably next weakest... I'd look into the hinges that have the "pins" on them that mate into the hinges when closed for extra strength.

Sent from this... Using that..

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMedic8617 View Post
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by NCMedic8617 View Post
    When you say they bent the bolt of the deadbolt, the actual bolt or the cylinder out of the door frame?
    I've forced alot of doors in my day and can't recall a time the actual bolt was bent, usually the cylinder or the door frame gives up the ghost first. Are they steel frames? Wooden frames? On alot of doors there is enough "spring" in the frame that you can flex the frame and the door will pop open and have very minimal damage... I've forced open doors will a halligan bar that have locked right back up like nothing happened.
    Doors are pretty weak generally...
    I'd second the recommendations about reinforcing the door jam, maybe a deadbolt with a longer throw, you should be able to goto a locksmith and get a deadbolt with a longer throw keyed like the current one, I had this done at a rental property before.

The Ultimate Deadbolt Door test
    Interesting results here...

Armor Concepts Ultimate Door Security and Window Security - Sliding Door Locks

Something else to consider are the hinges... Right behind the lock, they are probably next weakest... I'd look into the hinges that have the "pins" on them that mate into the hinges when closed for extra strength.

Sent from this... Using that..

I didn't inspect the lock too carefully there was little to no damage on the striker plate/door frame at all. The door itself was bent in a little where the pry bar was pushing into it. (metal doors) The bolt itself seemed to be deformed and bent. I didn't look at it closely enough to see if it was just tweaked from inside and it was just forced into an off angle. I have the plate fabbed I need to shave it down in the shop just a hair so the door will squeeze by it. I'll be using 4 1/4 inch lag screws to secure it onto the door jam. I had my buddy make it and he made it a little larger than what I drew up just so we could shave it down to be exact. I'm also looking at getting a motion activated door alarm to mount above the door so as soon as they enter it will go off but I can turn it off as i enter.

Burglar Bomb Anti Burglary Pepper Spray Systems, protect your home using pepper spray

How about some Adt stickers on the window/ door

Cheap ipcam that emails you pictures when motion sensed.
    Last edited by scott625; April 12th, 2012 at 10:38 PM.

VIP Member
    I think I'd let the burglars have what they want before I'd try to clean the mess up from a pepper bomb.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links