A extra cheap but effective home security device for you guys..

This is a discussion on A extra cheap but effective home security device for you guys.. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have used the exact same unit at three different houses. In all cases they worked well, once I got the kinks worked out. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: A extra cheap but effective home security device for you guys..

I have used the exact same unit at three different houses. In all cases they worked well, once I got the kinks worked out. I mounted my remote sensing unit inside a birdhouse for disguise, and other than the pesky bluebirds in the spring, they never "falsed" too much. My current set up is probably close to the limit, at about 200-300 feet, but is starting to fail (five or six years old?). May need a new one. The winters here are death to batteries too, but such is life.

Here is an old post, with some pictures I took:

I bought a Bluebird Nest box to hide the remote motion detector, and added a nest box predator guard to focus the motion detector and further disguise it. Our property is covered with bird nest boxes and bird feeders, so this one just blends in.

The motion detector is mounted inside the swinging door with Velcro, the door swings closed and is clipped, and the homemade security system disappears.......

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Harbor Freight isn't CC friendly :/
    They are in Texas.

I use one of these alarms at the garage entrance. After being relieved of some of my belongings, it helps. Most people that come visit use our garage as an entrance, so they are sometimes alarmed when I open the house door as soon as they get close to it.

Layers are good. If the dog is inside the house, he can't hear if somoene walks into the garage. This just helps.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

P95
    I like this....thanks for the link.

02R1,
    I've used one that is overlapped by a security camera. The other was not and smashed within the first week I installed it! Both covered my garage which has been a target since moving here. They work great! I suggest putting black electricians tape over inside of sensor to mask the green LED in it. Makes it harder to spot at night and someone would not know it if they activated it.Also install two L brackets to prevent it from being "adjusted" from behind tree or whatever its attached to..
    Last edited by 1911srule; July 2nd, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    I have 2 G.Shepherds(Jagger&Vltor) that have no other purpose but to protect my property,wife and kids when I'm gone,whether it be from 4 or 2 legged threats. They are more loyal to us than anything that could be used to replace them.They know their job and do it well.And they are so protective that we have a C.B.Y.C(call before you come) rule.They are a big help with unwanted guest.
    Bet they give those irritating "Bible Thumpers" who show up on the door step too often something to think about.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I put a unit similar to that on my garage wall, mounted low, by door. I also hardwired it into an old transformer that I had laying around, so no need to worry about dead batteries.

It works great!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Has been posted before. Slip the unit into a clear zip lock bag and no worrriers about getting wet.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Bet they give those irritating "Bible Thumpers" who show up on the door step too often something to think about.
    I thought "Watchtower" was directions for building the ultimate security post.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I posted this in the other garage thread. It's not a motion detector, it's a wireless door chime that I use to alert me. For only $25 I know I'll hear if anyone tries to open my garage door. Never had a false alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by xtalman View Post
    I have this setup:

Heath Zenith Wireless Entry Alert Chime

I plugged the chime portion into an outlet in my bedroom, but it can be heard throughout my house. I attached one half of the magnetic sensor to the wall very close to my garage door, with the other half on the actual door. When the garage is opened or closed, I hear a very loud chime each time. If I hear it go off unexpectedly, I will activate the panic button of my car in the garage to hopefully scare the bad guys away. Not really looking to get into a fight unnecessarily.

$16 + change at Amazon so I just ordered one. For that price it's worth seeing how well it works. I've got one blind spot around the house and adventurous neighbor kids so I may hook it to an old siren car alarm.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

I'm going to check this out further - lot of conflicting comments/reviews on Amazon. I also like the idea of the motion sensor and doorbell

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Your dogs must be well-trained. I know of a lot of dogs that either sleep through the arrival of guests, or bark when nothing is there.
    My dog rarely Barks but when she does she is barking at a stranger or just trying to wake my wife up because she wants to. She even woke us up to warn of a approaching storm once.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

As for security we have cameras that can notify us a few different ways of any intruder Bad hopefully but also will catch GOOD at wrong address.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

VIP Member
    I use the Harbour Freight ones in my garage; two. And I have cameras in there. Except that batteries need
    to be changed about 3 times a year, they are great.

ON dogs, I'm a dog lover. But, they may not be as reliable as the owner thinks. I had a bad experience
    one time with someone prowling in my back yard and the dogs (both of them) running away when needed.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Why would you like this ,I thought you don't have to be prepared ,remember you've got your gun,is'nt that all you need?
    Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    I like this....thanks for the link.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links