A extra cheap but effective home security device for you guys..

This is a discussion on A extra cheap but effective home security device for you guys.. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Amazon.com: Driveway Patrol Sensor and Receiver Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden I have been using this one for about a year now and it's very ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: A extra cheap but effective home security device for you guys..

Amazon.com: Driveway Patrol Sensor and Receiver Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I have been using this one for about a year now and it's very nice. Works up to 400ft according to product description, but i haven tested that out. I use this mainly for my garage where my motorcycle is located. Motion sensor mounted on wall and receiver in my bedroom. Really works. Will pick up even critters moving and maybe high wind so i don't recommend it for outside. When put on "loud", it is loud enough to even wake up a deep sleeper.

Personally I prefer claymore mines with tripwire. Easy and effective. Thanks to surplus military outlet stores in my neighborhood and what I brought back from overseas. Most effective home security to my thinking. I can sleep and still dispatch would be intruders. No warning needed. Most days I don't even need an alarm clock....I just wake up whenever. Taking care of business without getting out of bed is definitely a good thing. Sensors are for sissies. No sense playing games or warning intruders. Do it and be done with it before it can happen. Just remember the postman.

I have that same device for garage security when the garage door is open. Works well.
    S&W 442
    Taurus 740

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    My dogs don't require batteries and don't give false alarms

I have the same thing... I use it for armadillo patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Your dogs must be well-trained. I know of a lot of dogs that either sleep through the arrival of guests, or bark when nothing is there.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

If you're a DIY'er, just wire up the light circuit on a motion sensing security light to a cheapo doorbell. DING DONG, you're in my garage.
    JerryMac likes this.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Your dogs must be well-trained. I know of a lot of dogs that either sleep through the arrival of guests, or bark when nothing is there.
    I live a long way from anyone so they only bark at two things 1: Coyotes on the deck eating their food 2: Strangers

They haven't been wrong yet

Ya'll have some smart armadillo's,I can't get any to come up my driveway
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I have the same thing... I use it for armadillo patrol.

I have 2 G.Shepherds(Jagger&Vltor) that have no other purpose but to protect my property,wife and kids when I'm gone,whether it be from 4 or 2 legged threats. They are more loyal to us than anything that could be used to replace them.They know their job and do it well.And they are so protective that we have a C.B.Y.C(call before you come) rule.They are a big help with unwanted guest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    P95Falconer and JerryMac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    +1. No one gets by my dog with the exception of my immediate nearest neighbor and that is by design.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Lead Moderator
    I have one and it works well enough. I also have a German Shepard , but layered protection is never a bad idea.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I may have to get one of those for my garage. Thanks.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

They sell them at Harbor Freight,I have one mounted on a tree near the street facing back towards my house high enough it doesn't pick up small critters,but anything over 3 ft tall is gonna set it off,anything moves between it and the house and I get a beep and it's time to arm up and peek out the peeky hole in the door
    JerryMac likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    They sell them at Harbor Freight,I have one mounted on a tree near the street facing back towards my house high enough it doesn't pick up small critters,but anything over 3 ft tall is gonna set it off,anything moves between it and the house and I get a beep and it's time to arm up and peek out the peeky hole in the door
    Harbor Freight isn't CC friendly :/
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links