Home Safety.....

This is a discussion on Home Safety..... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mine is always loaded. Always on my person till I sleep....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Home Safety.....

Mine is always loaded. Always on my person till I sleep.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

2. Remove Ads

I always keep my gun on me until I get into bed and then its on the nightstand. If I am just sitting around the house in a pair of sweats and a t shirt I will toss my j frame in the pocket and I am good to go. I figure that will enable me to get to my safe and the phone if something happens.

As far as keeping the gun in a high up location I would be reluctant to do that. I was at my friends house the other night, his three year old son used a kitchen chair dragged over to the sink and then climbed onto the counter to reach into the cupboard above the sink to get some candy out. This cupboard is over six feet off of the ground at the lowest point. The safest option IMO if you are not going to keep the gun on you is a fast access safe.
    phreddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Keep them locked up in quick access safes. The BIO type are easy to open when needed day or night.
    Lot of options. In Wisconsin if a minor just touches a load handgun even in your own home you could spend many years in prison.
    Biometric Gun Safes - Fingerprint Pistol Safes
    The advanced fingerprint recognition used in GunVault's biometric handgun and pistol safes give you the confidence of quick and secure access to your firearms when you need them most.
    Biometric Gun Safes - Fingerprint Gun Safes | GunVault
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

You need to be responsible to do everything you can to keep your kids safe. That doesn't mean sacrificing your safety to do that. There are many options you have to keep your LOADED gun accessible to you and not your kids. You should be able to retrieve your gun one handed in the dark if needed and if its not loaded already then I think you lose the advantage to an intruder. Also keep in mind that if a key is needed or it has a numbered rotary type combination lock you won't be able to access it in the dark. If you are not comfortable with electronics and their reliability then choose a handgun safe that uses a mechanical push button lock. In addition to reliability, several are much stronger in overall construction that use this type of lock. Mine is just one example:

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    My son is sixteen now, I keep it loaded and close. We go to the range and he can shoot. Our area has had numerous breakins and home invasions. I've been struggling with if I should buy a shotgun for him while I'm out. He's responsible with firearms but he's still only sixteen.
    Don't mean to highjack the thread, but I feel this needs an answer. I'd say it all depends on the maturity level of your son. I learned to shoot when I was 13 and bought my first .22 rifle myself with money I got for my 14th birthday. Of course, that was back in 1956 and the public's view of guns and gun laws were a lot different then. Nobody looked twice at a kid walking down the street with a guncase! I use to walk, before I was old enough to drive, to the YWCA for rifle team practice in a junior NRA program. Things are much different today. But if your son is responsible and mature, I see nothing wrong with him having access to a rifle or shotgun! Just my .02.
    NH_Esau likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I trust my kids, and they are gun-safed. However, we have kids that visit and I don't know if they are, and we don't hover over them while they're playing in the house. If a weapon is not on me, it's locked up. Only one that's not is the .22 I keep near the door for critters, and its integral bolt block is locked. I don't tell visiting parents I'm CC or mention firearms in the house.

BTW, to have something to store handguns in different parts of the house, these are available at Amazon for $60 delivered.: Amazon.com: UTG Deluxe Steel Pistol Wall Safe with Key Entry: Sports & Outdoors . I expected something like a standard stamped sheet metal gun cabinet (tamper-resistant, not theft-resistant) and was pleasantly surprised. 1/4" steel with a relatively high-security lock system with twin safe-style deadbolts, and HD internal HD hinges. I don't see being able to pry into it easily at all. If a thief found and wanted it, he'd be best served by cutting the studs to steal the whole thing, then open it later. If I ever lose the keys, I could cut through it with my O-A torch pretty easy, but I'd damage everything inside. Just big enough to hold a full-size pistol and a bunch of mags.

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Of course, that was back in 1956 ...
    Twenty-thirtyish years later, I used to walk down the street on the outskirts of town with a rifle or shotgun and no problems. Heck, before the exclusion law went into effect (in what, '89, '90?), kids in the area I lived used to hunt to/from school and leave their guns with the principal. No school shootings I can recall.

New Member Array Concealment Frame's Avatar
    I agree keeping them loaded and out of reach with kids at home. I always think about being woke up and groggy trying to find a key. No Way!
    Shotgun in the closet between a pair of sweats on the top shelf.
    Hollow books on a high shelf. Free Hollow Books | Gun Book Cases
    Couple very well placed picture frames. Concealment Frames

Thanks ya'll!!! I am so proud to be a concerned parent!! I love my family and I would not want to be the person to break into my house in the middle of the night:(
    "The Lord is on my side; I will not fear"
    " The Lord is my Light and my salvation

I mounted a gun vault quick access safe directly to my bedpost, loaded M&P with Tac light inside and ready to go. I let my little girl (2 year old) play with the empty, closed safe enough that it no longer really interests her anymore. The quick access keypad also auto-locks after five failed attempts so no little ones can eventually "get lucky". I love my gun vault, YMMV.

My 2 cents
    Teaching kids gun safety is like teaching them the birds and bees. Sure teach them but absolutely conceal what you actually do in your home. Anyone diminishing the perception of looking bad is not thinking this through. If your kids know specifics they will tell specifics.

In the house there is no place you have more control over a gun than on you. I would suggest you consider Carry concealed in your house and yard. It's really the only way to know for sure it's out of your kids hands and within your access. I personally have never understood the scavenger hunt approach to hiding arms in nooks and crannies and trying to secure them all. Does anyone not know the kid who, growing up, figured out all the hiding places of their parents liquor and how to refill to the last level with water?

If it's not carried for me it's locked in a combination gunvault which itself is padlocked in a second case. Never keep less than two barriers between kids and guns

I even keep the keys to the case on my pocket or on one of those real estate agent padlock key holders

Only exception is at night where it comes off my person into a combo lock vault. Flashlight beside it. Yes i will fumble at night. You takes your chances

Biometrics are crap. Personal experience with two different ones of the brands mentioned here. One simply stopped working reliably. Not a battery issue simply erratic function. In a crisis would have been a disaster

A second one was much worse. It lost the ability to selectively key my fingerprint. It had been set up correctly and worked fine then after a couple months and with zero warning suddenly I could open it with any finger in it. Strongly suspect my kids could to. Fortunately for me I checked the selectivity regularly after my first experience. I'd never trust a commercial biometric again, unless part of a two barrier apprOach (like with trigger lock on etc)

"Up high" is not security by itself. I caught my boy climbing on top of the refirgerator at 3. My kids have their own guns, and know that they can see or touch any gun in the safe at any time. When they are bad, they don't get to go shooting or help clean guns. My girl can tell the difference between a clip and a magazine, and both of them (twin 4 year olds) have passed "tests" by leaving a deactivated gun where they could reach it.

Loaded in a safe, or on your person, is the most responsible way to handle the hardware. Education and understanding is vital for "software".
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Similar to Superhouse 15

Mine are 5 and 9 and they know the rules, both are looking forward to their first chance to shoot a real gun.

Yet I do not take chances. My loaded guns are either on my body or in a nanovault.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

I've reviewed what you said and eventhough they'd have to get the step ladder out of the garage and bring it into the house to get my .38, I'll be locking it up when I'm not wearing it. I originally thought leaving it up there when the wife was home would provide her a "front door" gun but she's really not interested no matter what I try so she wouldn't instinctively go for it anyway. At least she doesn't say anything about the collection. The occasional "You bought another gun?" comes out from time to time but nothing follows.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links