Colorado Concealed Carry Laws

This is a discussion on Colorado Concealed Carry Laws within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have to go to Denver for a week and I'm having a hard time finding teh Colorado laws to review. I have my Texas ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Colorado Concealed Carry Laws

I have to go to Denver for a week and I'm having a hard time finding teh Colorado laws to review.

I have my Texas CHL so I have reciprocity, but I want to be familier with the Colorado's laws as well before going.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Max
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

RMGO.org
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

The link here is a good source.
    Handgunlaw.us
    marcclarke likes this.

So that's a good starting point but I have a couple of questions I'm hoping native Coloradian (is that a word?) can answer:
    It looks like the only places off limits are schools, of course, and places that have gaurds and metal detectors/scanners in place.
    a: What about hospitals?
    b: What about restaurants and bars? I don't drink but I do eat out and may be with someone who does have a beer or cocktail.
    c: Where can I find more detailed information on the no gun signs laws? In Texas it has to meet certain requirements or it's not a legal sign so I'm curious about Colorada law also.

Thanks,
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    So that's a good starting point but I have a couple of questions I'm hoping native Coloradian (is that a word?) can answer:
    It looks like the only places off limits are schools, of course, and places that have gaurds and metal detectors/scanners in place.
    a: What about hospitals?
    b: What about restaurants and bars? I don't drink but I do eat out and may be with someone who does have a beer or cocktail.
    c: Where can I find more detailed information on the no gun signs laws? In Texas it has to meet certain requirements or it's not a legal sign so I'm curious about Colorada law also.

Thanks,
    Max
    Here's another useful link:
    Gun Law FAQs - Rocky Mountain Gun Owners

Thanks Folks! I've found everything BUT a reference to Hospitals and details on signs. And hospitals is why I am going. Any final suggestions?

Well...... Hospitals are not off limits by statute, I accompanied a disabled friend that lives with us to the ER and left the gun in the truck but left the holster on. A nurse in the ER asked if I was State Patrol I said no just a law-abiding citizen, then she says "You can bring it in here we don't mind, in fact several of us have our guns in our lockers".

HOWEVER... You are going to Denver, not to be confused with the rest of a freedom lovin' state, I would bet it will be posted. I KNOW University of Colorado Hospital is, said disabled friend has been flown there a couple times.

Which hospital and I can probably find out.

What F350 said. With emphasis on the part about Denver... don't go there period unless that's specifically where your trip is taking you, IMO. I don't know what or how you carry, but ABSOLUTELY do not bring anything over 20 round cap into Denver. So if you have a high cap backup or a rifle in the trunk or whatever... don't end up in jail because Denver isn't a part of the rest of Colorado lol.

For signs there is no legal teeth behind any sign except for public buildings in Castle Rock. Places that serve liquor are ok too.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

F3550, I tried to send you a PM, but your mailbox is full...

Just like work, huh...?

Avis, I thought I read in the state laws that signs had the force of law except in public owned locations...???

Not sure which hospital you're thinking, but Northern Colorado Medical Center bans firearms on premises.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    Avis, I thought I read in the state laws that signs had the force of law except in public owned locations...???
    I should have been more clear. The law doesn't have to do with firearms but with property law.
    Private property owners have the right to refuse carry on their property. If you carry there you are kinda at their mercy. You will likely be asked to leave should you be 'made'.

18-4-504 Third Degree Criminal Trespass

(1) A person commits the crime of third degree criminal trespass if such person unlawfully enters or remains in or upon premises of another.
    (2) Third degree criminal trespass is a class 1 petty offense, but:
    (a) It is a class 3 misdemeanor if the premises have been classified by the county assessor for the county in which the land is situated as agricultural land pursuant to section 39-1-102 (1.6), C.R.S.; and
    (b) It is a class 5 felony if the person trespasses on premises so classified as agricultural land with the intent to commit a felony thereon.

Public offices are not posted except for federal buildings. And of course places with security. Castle Rock has a municipal statute on the books regarding carry in public buildings. It's not a state thing.

Colorado's CCW law says "all areas of the state" and that no municipality (including Denver) can override the state CCW statute.
    Denver has an ordinance banning open carry albeit Colorado is an open carry state. That being said you're carrying concealed, but just FYI. Bars Hospitals etc. Colorado law regards these places as "private" and most hospitals ban "weapons" on their premises. I've been in and out of all of the hospitals in the Denver Metro area as an EMT and ALL of them have a statement to some regard banning weapons. Swedish, Denver Health and Aurora South post Police officers or Sheriff Deputies in the hospital generally the Emergency Department, so be advised... Collectively, I agree with the ability to carry regardless however it is "law abiding" to respect this regardless of how I feel, and most of the hospitals are in crappy areas of town (shocking) which makes it worse... is what it is I guess. Signage can vary either a picture or a statement, some are fairly in conspicuous, so pay close attention when entering, bottom of doors, inside the door etc. ("No weapons beyond this point.") etc... Now if you plan on attending an event at Invesco Field, Coor's Field or the Pepsi Center, all ban weapons... some Malls etc ban weapons as well again it's in the "fine print" sometimes listed as the "code of conduct" and it's at the bottom.
    Some bars and restaurants have signs posted stating "no weapons" (again pictures of a gun crossed out etc, or direct verbiage) per Colorado law you are supposed to abide by this all they (the owner) can do is "ask you to leave". Since you're out of state I don't know if DPD or whichever Law Enforcement Agency responds would confiscate your permit or slap your wrist and possibly cite you for trespass (see above thread). Not a well known state statute but it is now a FELONY to be in possession of a firearm and have ANY alcohol in your system, (contrary to Colorado statute which states "under the influence" which is subjective... ) this was enacted after an intoxicated State Trooper was pulled over intoxicated while on duty. Sourced from several police officers I work with and know. This applies to civilians and sworn police officers. Colorado Bureau of Investigation has a print out of Colorado laws regarding CCW.
    Good luck.
    MisterAvis and wmhawth like this.

I noticed the recent change regarding alcohol and the contradiction. Good catch and thanks. I never have pressed the issue by having a beer with a meal while carrying. But the law used to read like the DWI law.

Not a well known state statute but it is now a FELONY to be in possession of a firearm and have ANY alcohol in your system
    Thanks. Do you have a cite for this?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links