Something for parents to think about. - Page 2

Something for parents to think about.

This is a discussion on Something for parents to think about. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That is why it is necessary to have a light available,too many people have shot Wives/Husbands claiming they didn't know who it was.Identify your target ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Something for parents to think about.

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    That is why it is necessary to have a light available,too many people have shot Wives/Husbands claiming they didn't know who it was.Identify your target before firing.Like many have said count heads before hand,not just lumps in bed,I snuck out too and stuffed the bed,so if I don't see a face,I'm gonna positively ID the body.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .


  2. #17
    Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,378
    -
    Since when does the castle doctrine mean 'shoot without looking or evaluation'?
    phreddy and beararms like this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

  3. #18
    Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bellevue, Ky/Cincinatti
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Shoot first? Where have you been getting your training tips CNN, ABC, CBS?
    This too is good reason that others in your group know that you carry, something that some here frown on.
    Please Explain! My group? What's frowned upon?

    As I said in my post I was struggling with the fact I could have mistaken my son for a home invader going in his window. It never occurred to me that he was sneaking out. I guess I'm admitting my failure in this regard.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

    https://www.facebook.com/ninja312


    My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

  4. #19
    Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bellevue, Ky/Cincinatti
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    I have never heard shoot first on any gun site I have visited?
    Where in the world did you hear that kind of advice?
    I have heard over the years people say if they see someone in their home they would shoot first ask questions later as a figure of speech. What I'm saying here is I could have mistaken my son for an intruder. Maybe not. It just really scared me and made me do some reflection. I didn't mean to imply I heard it here.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

    https://www.facebook.com/ninja312


    My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

  5. #20
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,708
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Absolutely Correct!
    Shoot first is not always the best mindset in home defense.
    When is it ever the best mindset in any situation?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

  6. #21
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    I have never heard shoot first on any gun site I have visited?
    Where in the world did you hear that kind of advice?
    I have, many times. The scenario is... if they wake up at night and someone is in their house "shoot first ask questions later" and remember to make sure their dead because "dead men don't talk". Being in the house gives them the right to kill without identification or any threat being present. Hopefully they won't be a family member or friend or neighbor.
    ericb327 likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

  7. #22
    Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bellevue, Ky/Cincinatti
    Posts
    1,416
    I was just trying to relate my story to a certain mindset in home/gun owners. There are in my opinion a great many people of this mindset. I'm not singling anyone out here. I will endure the personal attacks and won't respond.

    On a side note; there were at the time a great number of break ins and home invasions in our neighborhood. The police have since made an arrest closing six cases.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

    https://www.facebook.com/ninja312


    My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

  8. #23
    Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bellevue, Ky/Cincinatti
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Let me see if I have this correct, you're concerned because you foresee a scenario where you shoot your son because you are not sure of your target? If this is truly what's going on perhaps you need some more training before you keep loaded firearms in the house/carry them.
    I'm saying that it did not occur to my that my son was sneaking out. I was not put into the situation where I did have to identify if this truly an intruder. I would like think I would take all steps necessary to correctly Identify threats. I see your point.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

    https://www.facebook.com/ninja312


    My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

  9. #24
    Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    1,967
    This is something you (meant as everyone) need to resolve before buying a gun for self-defense. If you are not willing to undergo the necessary training, preparation and safety precautions, you probably shouldn't own one. This has very little to do with the castle doctrine.
    Last edited by phreddy; April 25th, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
    beararms likes this.

  10. #25
    mkh
    mkh is offline
    Distinguished Member Array mkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Foxhole somewhere in Jacksonville
    Posts
    1,636
    Always confirm the identity of your target and you won't have any problems.

    But you are probably already ware of this.

  11. #26
    Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    1,455
    I guess I am with the crowd here that questions the "shoot first" mentality. I don't recall anyone with experience or intelligence advocating that strategy. Identify target first, then shoot, call the police later and answer questions. And have a talk with the kid about the dangers of sneaking out as well as figuring out the root cause of this behavior.
    beararms likes this.
    Walk softly ...

  12. #27
    Senior Member Array ntkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Please Explain! My group? What's frowned upon?

    As I said in my post I was struggling with the fact I could have mistaken my son for a home invader going in his window. It never occurred to me that he was sneaking out. I guess I'm admitting my failure in this regard.
    Your group: people you trust, hang out with, family, people that might think of jumping in front of you at night to startle you for fun.

    Frown on: Some here believe that carrying or even the of possession gun should be kept secret, never a reason to inform others that you are armed. If you look in past posts or just stick around long enough, it will come up again.

    Please donít think we are poking a stick at you here, itís just that shoot first mentality is some dangerous thinking, I believe that you are picking up on that now, stay tuned you will learn some things that may save you in more than one way. Itís always good to compare others ideas.

  13. #28
    VIP Member Array Crowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    West Allis WI
    Posts
    2,761
    The so called "Castle Doctrine" law is Wisconsin is essentially the same self defense law Wisconsin has had since 1848. In the old and new law there is no mention of shoot first ask questions later. Without and exact quote the law allows one to use whatever force is necessary if one feels fear for bodily harm or death. (the major changes made to the old law were if the shooting was justified one would be immune from a civil suit. It also further defined the right to self defense in ones home, vehicle or place of business)

    Unfortunately the media/anti gun groups have turned "Castle Doctrine or Stand Your Ground" wording into bad words. They have become "panic" words. They have made it into it gives one a right to shoot someone just because. This is simply not true or any of these laws.
    beararms likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

    Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

  14. #29
    Member Array beararms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Country formerly known as the USA
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    As I said in my post I was struggling with the fact I could have mistaken my son for a home invader going in his window. It never occurred to me that he was sneaking out. I guess I'm admitting my failure in this regard.
    This has nothing to do with Castle Doctrine and everything to do with the 4th rule of firearm safety: Be sure of your target.

    If you don't have Castle Doctrine, you would have to wait until the intruder posed a threat of death or great bodily harm to you or yours. Do you really want that instead of simply taking the responsibility to always ID your target?

  15. #30
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,798
    A Police Chief, being sure his son was in bed, shot and killed the intruder climbing in the window of his house. It was his 16 yr old son.

    Yep, it happens. One reason to 1) tell your son not to be so stupid, 2) take that into consideration before you ever pull the trigger and being real sure you need to shot, and who it is you are shooting at.

    My son came in once ... although he was supposed to be in bed, and then walked to my room..... where upon my dog went into attack mode and suddenly he asked me to call her off ...... recognizing his voice and calling her back, I told him to turn on the light. He did. He saw me sitting there with a cocked .357 ....... and I asked him if he realized how stupid what he just did was.

    He & his friend, being still stupid.... but no longer living in my house, decided to play a practical joke. At one point his lifelong friend jumped up from behind a brick wall to scare me .... (2 a.m.), and when he did .... found a pistol pointed at his face. I wasn't the one who ended up being scared.

    To say the least, they learned doing practical jokes, or not announcing their presence ... was not a good thing. Sneaking out, was even dumber.

    He forgot... where I worked and what I did..... and that having a violent criminal showing up at my house, was 1/2 expected most of the time. So, my actions were 'not' the one that needed to be adjusted, his did. I had one try to break in before .... to off the family.... and he was never caught .... and I moved. He was wanted for a list that would take a page to list, 1/2 of his family was in prison for murder, and he was wanted on several attempted murder charges, kidnapping and other charges.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

16 years old in bellevue ky where ld i work

,

defensive+carry forum

,

facebook jeff cooper spartanburg

,

how do i ask my parents about home defense

,

not self defense because she didn't climb out window

,

something for parents

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors