Something for parents to think about.

This is a discussion on Something for parents to think about. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by beararms This has nothing to do with Castle Doctrine and everything to do with the 4th rule of firearm safety: Be sure ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Something for parents to think about.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beararms View Post
    This has nothing to do with Castle Doctrine and everything to do with the 4th rule of firearm safety: Be sure of your target.

If you don't have Castle Doctrine, you would have to wait until the intruder posed a threat of death or great bodily harm to you or yours. Do you really want that instead of simply taking the responsibility to always ID your target?
    The message of this thread was meant to affirm the always identify your target! Maybe this was lost in the fog off internet confrontationalists. Yes I just made up that word.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    The fog occurred when you connected the Castle doctrine to shoot first mentality. I think you will find that most people here are more than willing to defend laws that protect our rights to self defense. You will find very few (if any) here that do not agree with identify your target.
    beararms likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Shoot first is not always the best mindset in home defense.
    When is it ever the best mindset in any situation?
    When you've been challenged to a duel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ericb327 and DontTreadOnI like this.

The message of this thread was meant to affirm the always identify your target! Maybe this was lost in the fog off internet confrontationalists. Yes I just made up that word.
    People are reacting to the fact that your first two posts in this thread were more about linking Castle Doctrine to a 'shoot first mentality', rather than always identifying your target.

Anyway, we can all agree on that last point.

And if you're back on board with Castle Doctrine, we are agreed on all points.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    The fog occurred when you connected the Castle doctrine to shoot first mentality. I think you will find that most people here are more than willing to defend laws that protect our rights to self defense. You will find very few (if any) here that do not agree with identify your target.
    I linked the Castle Doctrine because it could make the shooter immune from civil prosecution and wrongful death suits. This could influence the shooters attitude when protecting their home or vehicle. I'm not talking about the responsible gun owners on this forum. But there are those out there that may not have considered this. The case in Slinger Wisconsin comes to mind. I should made my post a little more clear.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I have taken this in consideration many years ago, before having any children. As it applies to others as well. I discussed this also with both sons and made myself crystal clear. Frankly they are well disciplined enough to not do something that stupid imho. We've had a history with a couple local criminal types and been well "tested" here. So they understand.We have an ADT system that is used and alarms of any window or door opening. Also each firearm for home defense is equipped with a surefire for just this reason. I agree this is something all parents need to drive home.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

M.
    I agree with that. From reading your initial posts I wasn't clear on your stance on that right away.

Home or not always should identify first.

Last night we had just gotten to sleep when the neighbor started dragging his trashcan down to the street. There is a walkway between our houses, and our houses are close together. When we were startled awake, it sounded like someone was moving furniture downstairs. When I sat up in bed, I reached for my mag light and Glock 23. My girlfriend, although she was startled as well, realized what was making the noise and told me to calm down. She was a little upset and said that she was worried that when her daughter comes home from college for the summer that I may mistake her for an intruder one night and shoot her. I had already thought of that scenario so I told her that I would keep my pistol pointed at the floor with finger off the trigger until I positively identified who it was with my flashlight, and I won't just aim into the darkness and accidentally squeeze off a shot when I am startled.

I was one of those kids who would climb out the window and stay out all night. My mom would take valium and sleep through anything.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

This reminds me of an incident years ago when I had roommates. My roommate knew I had a gun and I had told him if you ever hear me calling out to respond to me in order to avoid an accidental shooting.

Well, one night he came home extremely late and woke me up and my dog who started going nuts. I stayed in my room with gun drawn and ready to go. But, I shouted out to him several times. He didn't hear me the first time probably because he was drunk and my dog's barking. But by the time he got close to the top of the stairs he heard me and finally responded that it was just him. I opened up my bedroom door gun in hand but pointed safely at the ground and the look he had was priceless. No harm no foul but we both learned a lesson that day and both stayed safe because I didn't just open fire without having gotten any confirmation at what I would have been shooting at.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I was one of those kids who would climb out the window and stay out all night. My mom would take valium and sleep through anything.
    Why didn't you just walk out the front door then?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Why didn't you just walk out the front door then?
    Looking back, I think its stupid that I wouldn't just use the door although I would drive off in her car.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Shoot first? Where have you been getting your training tips CNN, ABC, CBS?
    This too is good reason that others in your group know that you carry, something that some here frown on.
    You forgot MSNBC.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Please don't take this as me being presumptuous or sticking my nose where it doesn't belong. Your son is becoming a man and exercising some independence. It may be time to get on the same page as to why he feels he needs to sneak in and out of the home. Top-down, coercive relationships don't prevent criminals from committing crimes within societies and they don't prevent children from breaking the rules within families. But some cooperation, sincerity, honesty, and understanding between you gentleman may help narrow down the people sneaking in and out of your home to only those who need to be met with force.
    hrufrdr1 likes this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Security system with windows contact. I've put many systems in just for this reason.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links