Something for parents to think about.

This is a discussion on Something for parents to think about. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been wanting to post this story for a while, it made me re-think my attitude of the Castle Doctrine and shoot first ask questions ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Something for parents to think about.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

Something for parents to think about.

I've been wanting to post this story for a while, it made me re-think my attitude of the Castle Doctrine and shoot first ask questions later.

I am a single father of a 16 year old boy living in Bellevue, KY across the river from Cincinnati. Last Summer I was woken up by what sounded like footsteps on my roof. I grabbed my Glock 19 and a flashlight and went to have a look. My son's room is on the second floor so obviously I was worried about someone breaking in. I saw nobody, or any evidence of breaking in. I was sure I heard something and a very lite sleeper. This bothered me for quite some time. The story doesn't end here; the twist on this story is even more horrifying than having to shoot a bad guy trying to break in.

Can anyone on the forum venture to guess what was going and what I heard.

I will post part 2 of the story when someone gives the correct scenario.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

The geese on my roof sometime sound like elepahnts.

Your son sneaking back in?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    He was knockin' boots with the girl from next door?
    Badey likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Your son sneaking back in?
    Absolutely Correct!

Several Weeks ago it happened again. I was talking to a friend and said I thought Chris was sneaking out from his window. I confronted my son and he confirmed my suspicions. The scary thing to me is, would I have recognized him as my son sneaking into his window or shoot first. I asked my son what he thought I would think in this situation waking up from a slumber. The look on his face said it all.

I guess my message here is, there are always factors like this to think about in self defense scenarios. Shoot first is not always the best mindset in home defense.

This really bothered me, and still does.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    He was knockin' boots with the girl from next door?

That's a whole other thing to worry about with a sixteen year old.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post

That's a whole other thing to worry about with a sixteen year old.
    I know, I was sixteen once.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Shoot first? Where have you been getting your training tips CNN, ABC, CBS?
    This too is good reason that others in your group know that you carry, something that some here frown on.

I don't have kids, and am not planning on them for a good long while. That said, I do have a wife and if I ever heard anything that set my alarms off my first reaction after arming would be to check to make sure I knew where she was. Same I imagine if I did have kids. Check for the wife, head to the kid(s) room(s) and check for them. Once everyone is accounted for, unleash hell on any potential unwanteds.
    RichB70 likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I have never heard shoot first on any gun site I have visited?
    Where in the world did you hear that kind of advice?
    phreddy and beararms like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I don't have kids, and am not planning on them for a good long while. That said, I do have a wife and if I ever heard anything that set my alarms off my first reaction after arming would be to check to make sure I knew where she was. Same I imagine if I did have kids. Check for the wife, head to the kid(s) room(s) and check for them. Once everyone is accounted for, unleash hell on any potential unwanteds.
    +1 on this. I mentioned in another thread that I once had to clear the house and get family to barricade in the middle of the night. House was a lousy setup for this, and our lack of practice didn't help at all. Wife got kids to the back room with me going to other side of house to get guns/phone (yeah, stupid - and PPPPP), then I had to clear through the house to get back to my family, through the door, and finalize our barricade. LOTS of comm between us as well as "in the blind" to the guy I thought was in the house.

I never, ever, want to have to do that again, but it was a really good wakeup call for me to make some changes.

I may throw up a hypothetical in the Scenarios thread loosely based on the events to hear what some of you have to say about this, but the thing that applies to the OP is this: I think it's rarely a bad idea to use command voice as an early level of force.

Senior Moderator
    As an individual who took sneaking in and out of the house as a teen as a sport, science and art, I have always had my ideals and plans for if/WHEN my children start trying these things. First.... if you hear noise in/around the house, first order of business is to CONFIRM everyone is where they should be. And I'm not just talking about looking in the room and seeing lumps in the bed. Yes, I was one of those kids who put pillows under the covers to make it look like I was still there.

Get yourself a flashlight, pull back the covers and CONFIRM your child is still there. If not it's time to suspect the noises you heard are due to creeping family members. And say so. "I hear noise. If you do not make yourself known in about three seconds I will assume you are a bad guy, call 911 and treat you as someone invading my home."

Also, as you have done, sit down and have a come to Jesus with your kid. Why does he feel he needs to sneak out? What was he doing? What does he want to do that is making him sneak out? If there any compromise?

To be honest, many time I snuck out of the house just to go sleep outside on warm nights. I used to also sleep on the roof from time to time to get away from the bugs on the ground. I actually would leave notes for my parents in case I over slept and was not back in bed before they came to wake me up. Now, there were times I snuck both out and in for not such innocent endeavors and I did not leave notes and the only time I got caught sneaking back in I ran head long into my Dad and told him I was coming in from sleeping outside, because it was something I commonly did he completely believed me and I was off the hook.

Let me see if I have this correct, you're concerned because you foresee a scenario where you shoot your son because you are not sure of your target? If this is truly what's going on perhaps you need some more training before you keep loaded firearms in the house/carry them.
    phreddy and beararms like this.

How many times have we read about someone shooting before Identifying the suspect or animal? To even think about shooting and then IDing what you’re shooting at is ludicrous. There is a thread on here of some guy shooting his GF because he was trigger happy and was looking for a kill so bad he didn't take the time to ID the target

too many times we read about things like this. Be responsible gun owners and ID your target first
    Doodle and phreddy like this.

if/WHEN
    When, Lima, When.............

My kids have some great stories about their "exit" "somehow" becoming locked while they were out and about. Made the return home "exciting".
    ericb327 and goldshellback like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links