Defensive Carry banner

Wireless IP Cameras

14K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  brianrey 
#1 ·
Has anyone set any of these up? Doing router configurations and port forwarding is not a huge deal for me, so I'm not really worried about that. I was looking around on Amazon, and it appears that people are OK with the FOSCAM ones.

I found an older thread where people were saying to avoid wireless, but I don't know if that was for an IP set-up or a dedicated separate 2.4ghz set-up. Plus, with the speed of which technology changes these days, that thread may be a bit dated now.

Anyway.... If anyone has done a wireless set-up that they like, let me know what you did please.

#4 ·
The 2.4 wireless camera, transmitter and receiver can use a 12v power adapter (or batteries). It sends a wireless signal to the receiver so you don't have to string wire between the two devices. The OP (I'm assuming) want's an IP setup so he can monitor his property from anywhere.

#7 ·
I have done a tone with IP video. I put a Meade telescope on a mountain top and controlled it thousands of miles away with a laptop. The entire link was IP.

But anyway I use both at my property. As far as folks talking about using a dedicated 2.4 video link, it screws up other 2.4 devices. If your wireless router is 2.4 it will mess that up but the router will not mess up the RF signal.

I like IP because I can view it anywhere from my iPhone to my laptop.

Reactions: 64zebra
#11 ·
I just picked some of these up myself.
Some observations: NONE of the wireless cameras (including the more expensive, "hi-def" ones) give a very good or clear picture.
The picture quality is about the same as video camera from 1980. But, there are lots of places you don't need high quality video, like by the front gate, or by the sidewalk....places outside your main security perimeter.

The best compromise I found was the Logitech 700e camera, which is not wireless, but transmits the signal via whatever electrical outlet it's plugged into (obviously it can't be plugged into your neighbors power receptacle).
It's fairly high resolution (720p), so facial recognition is good.

The wireless cameras are great in terms of determining "what" is out there (2 guys, a dog, delivery truck, etc), but won't help much in identifying a criminal later.
Plus, most are cheap enough to replace should they break.

You can go to the electronics forums or sales forums (like NewEgg) to see reviews about particular models.
If you are going wireless, I would look for (weighted equally) price and ease of set up.

G.

#12 ·
#13 ·
After seeing this thread, I bought two of the Foscams - an FI8910W (indoor) and an FI8904W (outdoor). Both with automatic IR, WiFi. The indoor model also has pan and tilt. Considering they cost $100 each, they work fine. They are cheap cameras, and you can spend 10 times as much for a good camera. This is a "you get what you pay for model". However, for my use, they work fine. The indoor model will not look through glass with the IR lights, so if you want to look outside at night, you have to turn them off. You can't disable the IR lights on the outdoor model. The indoor model also has the ability to speak and listen through the camera.

They can be setup to email motion pictures, but the motion detection is fair at best. It picks up light changes and shadows as motion.

If you are looking for a cheap camera setup, four of these will set you back $400, plus software if you want to record, etc. There are numerous Android and iOS apps that work well for watching from a mobile phone as well.

The cameras have a web server built in and a form of password protection, but it probably is not very secure. The server mostly works, but from outside the house it is a little flakey - the picture works, but controlling the pan and tilt has some issues. The cameras are powered by a small transformer, and the outdoor one only has a 6' or so cord, that then plugs into the transformer cord and ethernet. So, you will have to seal that somehow. I have heard of folks rigging a POE (Power Over Ethernet) like solution, and running power on an ethernet cable. Mine is sealed in plastic baggies right now, including the power supply (small plug in module).

If you are looking for cheap, WiFi cameras, these work fine. If you want a packaged solution, go to Sams Club and buy one of their wireless packages. They cost less for four cameras.

Note that if you are wanting one of these to watch your front porch, be very mindful of the lens. The outdoor model I got doesn't cover nearly a wide enough angle to work on my porch. However, there are $10-$20 aftermarket lenses you can get to get a wider view.

#14 ·
Just a note-Use of 2.4ghz wireless cams with audio will effectively bug yourself. BEWARE

#15 ·
Home security

Wireless CCTV camera is good for home security the picture quality is good also in night you can zoom or change focus with remote. The surveillance systems miami have many features in CCTV camera customer demanding this camera to there offices or home security.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.