It's amazing the difference carrying has made in how I see the world - Page 2

It's amazing the difference carrying has made in how I see the world

This is a discussion on It's amazing the difference carrying has made in how I see the world within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by urkrypt0nite Kicking down doors is tremendously fun during paintball, but oddly frightening when you ante up to the real deal Amen. First ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: It's amazing the difference carrying has made in how I see the world

Quote Originally Posted by urkrypt0nite View Post
    Kicking down doors is tremendously fun during paintball, but oddly frightening when you ante up to the real deal
    Amen.

First clearing I did taught me a whole lot. Even though it ended up empty, 4 of the lessons were:
    1. How many sweat glands I have in my palms. Thank God for Pachmyr, as it would've been really embarassing for my S&W to slip out and go bouncing down the stairs.
    2. How stupid it was not to have 2 long guns in a vehicle with 2 guys in it.
    3. Rookie mistake: If there's only one long gun, don't be the second to grab it.
    4. Nobody gets paid enough to clear a building, even if it ends up empty.

Later on I forgot the 4th and learned a 5th lesson:
    5. If you feel comfortable or jazzed about clearing a building, you're doing it wrong.

Honestly I don't think that it's so much that I see the world in a different light, it's that I am actually seeing what's really around me. I'm seeing the same world, but with a new color to add to my perspective. I'm not walking around the block at night with my headphones in my ears while staring at the ground. I'm walking home with my eyes up scanning around, being mindful of my surroundings. Not in paranoia, but just watchful diligence. Living in such a modern society where "bad things don't happen to good people" has certainly paved the way to not worrying about anything. I don't know about the world being a better place, but I do avoid the crappier spots. Living in a college town there are tons of vagrants roaming around asking for money and I've had two yell and rant at me. Before carrying I felt kind of helpless, I would tell them I didn't have spare cash on me and just say sorry until they left. Now I see them walking up to me, I say NO. and they just leave me alone. I have more control of the situation.
    I do hope to soak up as much wisdom as possible from this forum. It's always fun to find the answer to a question I didn't even think to ask. I appreciate the encouragement. I must admit I did feel a little silly after posting this, but everyone was very nice and helpful rather than ridiculing me or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I guess this thread had seen it's day...that is until the FUZZ arrived.

Anyway......I simply can't pick you over here, and I don't have much advice other than what's already been laid out. At this point I hope you're still active on the forum and actively pursuing those learning experiences and you're outlook on the world. Your headline is what caught my eye.....I must say it is rather unique as a statement.

I'd just like to ask a couple of questions now, and you can either just simply contemplate them or you can answer in the thread, or just PM me without fear of criticism.
    Do you see the world in a better light now than before?
    Do you think the world can become a better place now that you carry?
    Since the difference is "amazing"......could you estimate or suggest a means of measurement in your own words?
    Again......I am intrigued here at the statement. Despite your newness to carry, and apparent inexperience (or formal training)....I think that there are many folks listening to what you've said and want to know more. All of us are learning. Think of the members here and how many years span from the youngest to eldest of members. Then those who just lurk here as visitors and never risk asking a simple question or give good advice when they know. It may seem like you've stepped out on a limb with your post, but I figure you're the little engine that could and would go up that hill. There are a lot of folks wanting a bit more myself included, and I've asked these questions not only for me, but those that want yet won't ask. You see......there are special qualities that each and every newbie has....some sit back and listen to the same old stuff that's been hashed out plenty of times here until they can't stand being silent anymore....then there's those that give a bird's eye view of what's going down at the moment from their point of view. My personal experiences sit back and listen whenever I get a glimpse of what it was like when I was a carry newbie........and it's because those days were so long ago for me that I respect anyone who can convey what actually happens during this time period. Truth be known....how you see the world now is a drop in the bucket compared to how the world might see you. I think you make a good impression. Stick around.
    Ramrod,
    If I may, I may know a bit about what Urkry feels. I'll be brief.
    I have only recently started to carry. When in public, at a place of business, a crowd etc. I have noticed that I am so much more aware of my surroundings and much more aware of people around me. There is no paranoia, just awareness. What is my outward attitude, what is going on around me? I am more apt to not let rude or antagonistic people get under my skin. It is hard to pinpoint, but for me anyway, just more of an awareness. Things seem to be clearer.
    It's a huge responsibility. I don't take it lightly.

I think that you had the "awakening" that your former roommate has not. There are bad people out there who do bad things to innocent people....no one is immune. It can happen to you, just the same as it can happen to anyone else.

In short....You are informed and Alert. Two good things. You are one of the lucky ones...many don't come to this conclusion until something bad actually happens to them or someone close to them.

Like someone said...don't get paranoid, but DO stay alert. Keep training....it is something that should never stop. I have been carrying for over 20 years and I still read information on the subject and range train....and of course come here. You never stop learning.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by DUSTYNEVADA View Post
    Ramrod,
    If I may, I may know a bit about what Urkry feels. I'll be brief.
    I have only recently started to carry. When in public, at a place of business, a crowd etc. I have noticed that I am so much more aware of my surroundings and much more aware of people around me. There is no paranoia, just awareness. What is my outward attitude, what is going on around me? I am more apt to not let rude or antagonistic people get under my skin. It is hard to pinpoint, but for me anyway, just more of an awareness. Things seem to be clearer.
    It's a huge responsibility. I don't take it lightly.
    I very well know that most of you younger folks AND new to carry realize the responsibilities involved. I'm not asking for reaffirmation or an oath here. Just trying to get a glimpse of those same experiences I had when I was in your shoes. Things that I didn't think about at the time myself. When I first enlisted on this forum, I had already been carrying for seven years. The only support I had at that time was reading articles in magazines. Basically no interaction with others of like mind. If I had questions......there was nobody to ask. When I had experiences...there was nobody to tell. When I was unsure I had to make sure and feel confident in what I was doing. That may sound strange in a way since I always had a weapon with me since 1982, and my re-introduction into the civilian population here at home was pretty much a testing grounds politically and as far as the law was concerned as well.....I did as I pleased on the farm. As far as the public in general and accepting a responsible armed citizen on the street? That's why we have concealed carry laws now and very few open carry places.
    I'm just simply soliciting a bird's eye view from you guys that are growing up in a somewhat more carry friendly world than what I had from the start. Call it a childhood lost for me. I was always aware of what I did or what I was doing because I was carrying. I know it changed me in many ways.......right down to my personality and my soul. The way I saw the world at the time? That's mainly what I'm asking of you folks in the present time because it is my past. Do you think you're more confident? With it changing you.......do you think the outside world can feel that and to what effect? At least we all know the common goal, and that's not to be a victim. How is a victim chosen? Do you think that mainstream America thinks you are overzealous or a militia member because you carry? Does what the rest of America thinks about you have any effect on what you choose to do and how you go about doing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by urkrypt0nite View Post
    It's always fun to find the answer to a question I didn't even think to ask. I appreciate the encouragement. I must admit I did feel a little silly after posting this, but everyone was very nice and helpful rather than ridiculing me or anything.
    Why feel silly? Whenever you feel silly, then you're not 100% sure of what you're doing. Don't admit anything without a lawyer present. Encouragement is given freely. If we send you cash without you asking, then you have every right to be appreciative. How many people would ridicule someone who is armed anyway?
    You've got plenty of friends here even if we don't get invited to your backyard BBQ. One of your best friends is the one taking up for you when not even needed. But I like that attitude of sticking with your brother......real team work is lacking these days. I'm not picking anybody apart on anything....I just simply asked for a revelation from those whom are writing. One additional question now that DUSTY is on your team.............. if
    Things seem to be clearer.
    Then how is it that
    It is hard to pinpoint
    ?
    Again......I asked a simple question with no specific intent. There are others here that might ask the same question...but yet they may not feel the confidence to do so. You guys are the next generation on this whole ordeal. I figure if the word gets out we all might stand a fighting chance. I'm not so selfish as to ask questions for myself in a public forum.....I figure many others willing and waiting to step into your shoes should know from your perspective. It's really not their fault they won't come right out and ask. Think about YOUR next generation now, and less of my silly questions.
    Living in a college town there are tons of vagrants roaming around asking for money and I've had two yell and rant at me. Before carrying I felt kind of helpless, I would tell them I didn't have spare cash on me and just say sorry until they left. Now I see them walking up to me, I say NO. and they just leave me alone. I have more control of the situation.
    Your control of the situation.....is that how they see you or how you see them? Or is it that you're confident and they can smell that? Kind of like a bee will sting you or go for the next clover.
    I live in a college town as well. Seasonal maybe.....but pretty much on the go all of the time. I figure most of the students here need an education in driving and vehicle laws in my state than they do anything else. LOL!
    Both of you new guys keep up the good work. I'm serious. You can always PM me the answers to my questions and I'll never post those on the forum or publicly, but I have been asked recently by a former associate to help teach a defensive pistol class. I'm not quite sure I'm up to the task since anything I'd lay down comes from my own experiences. And guys........true "wisdom" is seldom bestowed upon the living.
    Spirit51 likes this.

My wife was very happy at the changes in me when I got my carry card a few years ago. For one, I quit beating her. I couldn't risk a DV and lose my license. I also quit speeding, I gave up liquor, got off the heroin, stopped picking up girls on the street corner, and quit prowling every night looking for unlocked doors. I don't kick the dog anymore, haven't been in a fight in at least a year, stopped slashing neighbor's tires I didn't like, and began paying for everythning I would take from a store. The change has been remarkable. I now realize that I'm an OK guy and it's everybody else that has a problem.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    My wife was very happy at the changes in me when I got my carry card a few years ago. For one, I quit beating her. I couldn't risk a DV and lose my license. I also quit speeding, I gave up liquor, got off the heroin, stopped picking up girls on the street corner, and quit prowling every night looking for unlocked doors. I don't kick the dog anymore, haven't been in a fight in at least a year, stopped slashing neighbor's tires I didn't like, and began paying for everythning I would take from a store. The change has been remarkable. I now realize that I'm an OK guy and it's everybody else that has a problem.
    It's good to have a new focus in life. I ...for one am proud of you for your transformation, and I'm sure your wife (if she's still there), and your dog (if still alive) would second the accolades. Surely your neighbors have noticed your transformation as well. As for me........I can see through your transparency and your cry for help. Hopefully others can as well. IMO...if you're not on anti-depressants, you should be....and if you haven't been taking your prescriptions, then you should either be under evaluation or locked up.
    Wishing you the best however things turn out.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

It's good to have a new focus in life. I ...for one am proud of you for your transformation, and I'm sure your wife (if she's still there), and your dog (if still alive) would second the accolades. Surely your neighbors have noticed your transformation as well. As for me........I can see through your transparency and your cry for help. Hopefully others can as well. IMO...if you're not on anti-depressants, you should be....and if you haven't been taking your prescriptions, then you should either be under evaluation or locked up.
    Wishing you the best however things turn out.
    Slow down, Hot Rod! I'm afraid Mr. Sarcasm got around your defensive end and scored a touchdown.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Slow down, Hot Rod! I'm afraid Mr. Sarcasm got around your defensive end and scored a touchdown.
    I think you were just "outsarcasmed". One point is hereby awarded to the Mopar boy.
    Yankeejib likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I guess this thread had seen it's day...that is until the FUZZ arrived.

Anyway......I simply can't pick you over here, and I don't have much advice other than what's already been laid out. At this point I hope you're still active on the forum and actively pursuing those learning experiences and you're outlook on the world. Your headline is what caught my eye.....I must say it is rather unique as a statement.

I'd just like to ask a couple of questions now, and you can either just simply contemplate them or you can answer in the thread, or just PM me without fear of criticism.
    Do you see the world in a better light now than before?
    Do you think the world can become a better place now that you carry?
    Since the difference is "amazing"......could you estimate or suggest a means of measurement in your own words?
    Again......I am intrigued here at the statement. Despite your newness to carry, and apparent inexperience (or formal training)....I think that there are many folks listening to what you've said and want to know more. All of us are learning. Think of the members here and how many years span from the youngest to eldest of members. Then those who just lurk here as visitors and never risk asking a simple question or give good advice when they know. It may seem like you've stepped out on a limb with your post, but I figure you're the little engine that could and would go up that hill. There are a lot of folks wanting a bit more myself included, and I've asked these questions not only for me, but those that want yet won't ask. You see......there are special qualities that each and every newbie has....some sit back and listen to the same old stuff that's been hashed out plenty of times here until they can't stand being silent anymore....then there's those that give a bird's eye view of what's going down at the moment from their point of view. My personal experiences sit back and listen whenever I get a glimpse of what it was like when I was a carry newbie........and it's because those days were so long ago for me that I respect anyone who can convey what actually happens during this time period. Truth be known....how you see the world now is a drop in the bucket compared to how the world might see you. I think you make a good impression. Stick around.
    As a newbie to the forum, and I have only been carrying concealed for about six months now. I started to realize the world was changing: in a bad way when I was 18. I was at a stop light at 3 am not paying attention to everything around me, as there generally wasnt anyone else on the road but myself. I however had two guys come and rip me out of the car at gun point demanding why I slept with ones girlfriend. I however didnt know who she was, but was in the area she lived. Needless to say they beat the snot out of me with no remorse what so ever. About 3 months later, I got assaulted on us 40( one of our main streets in ohio) over a pair of prescription sunglasses that were Oakley GasCans.

I said to myself that I was no longer going to be a statistic of assaults, so I set out to inform myself on all of ohios firearm laws(both concealed carry and open carry). Ever since I turned 21, I said I was going to become a ccw holder, however I had put it off for quite some time. This past year, in our city, the only thing I would see on the news would be shootings and such. I would also day dream about scenarios at night( after hearing gunshots in close proximity to my home) on more than one occasion. It took one final night of that for me to sign up for a ccw class and I havent looked back. Mind you I have been handling firearms all my life, whether it be hunting or shooting for sport. I now carry daily, not only to protect my loved ones, but to protect myself and to have a little bit more security with my future as a citizen living in an urban area

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links