It's amazing the difference carrying has made in how I see the world

This is a discussion on It's amazing the difference carrying has made in how I see the world within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Moving out of my townhouse this week and while I was out eating with friends my roommate was getting the last of his stuff when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: It's amazing the difference carrying has made in how I see the world

Moving out of my townhouse this week and while I was out eating with friends my roommate was getting the last of his stuff when he decided to get the grill from the backyard and move it out the gate and around to his truck. Well, to get there you have to go through my room; so when I come home and notice that the back door is partially open, the gate wide open....immediately was like danger! My 42" tv was still there, so I just cleared the house and locked up the back. Saw his grill was gone, but decided to call my roommate first to see if it was him. Of course, found out he 'forgot' to lock the back and gave him an earful for leaving my stuff up for grabs.

But I guarantee you that a year ago I would've just been like didn't I close this door? And probably never considered robbery. Just would've had that mindset that bad things like that wouldn't happen to me. Did I feel silly afterwards? No..could've absolutely been a burglar hiding upstairs or something. But it has made me wonder how I would've handled it before carrying, because he certainly failed to see why it was a big deal.
    QKShooter, Spirit51 and Ram Rod like this.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    A good post but, please keep in mind that there are time tested set procedures for clearing any structure that may "house" a potential deadly threat and you really do need to get some actual "hands on" because it can be an extremely hazardous procedure unless you have some good professional training.
    JDE101 and XDshooter like this.

Which is absolutely true and when I get home I definitely should get some instructor training. Clearing was probably a bad way to put it. I did make sure I kept my finger off the trigger in case I was startled by something/someone.
    QKShooter likes this.

Kicking down doors is tremendously fun during paintball, but oddly frightening when you ante up to the real deal
    NH_Esau likes this.

Always be alert and vigilant but don't let paranoia eat you up
    mano3 and goldshellback like this.

It is the situational awareness that has changed, not the fact that you are now carrying. Now it needs to extend into pre-emptive awareness.
    XDshooter and mano3 like this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by urkrypt0nite View Post
    Kicking down doors is tremendously fun during paintball, but oddly frightening when you ante up to the real deal
    A shoot out house is a major learning tool and very instructive, can't wait for my turn. ;-)

I've been carrying for a yer now and the biggest change I have noticed is how i feel while driving... road rage is not any part of how I drive any more... I realised it is much more important to be aware, and not put myself into a situation that could cause an accident. Thant and I hear the officer that did our cc class saying if you instigate or escalate a situation you are no longer within your rights to use your weapon... in other words if I cut a guy off and flip him off, I'm in the grey area...

I also realised that it's my fault if I let stupid people affect my mood... I would rather be happy, and feel pity for people that get worked up by oblivious drivers.

I also know I am on more of a high alert when out and about, and I always listed to the little hairs on the back of my neck that tell me when something is different or wrong when home or out.
    CARRY365 likes this.

The best way to win a gunfight is to avoid it.Let the police clear the house.

A friend of mine has a old house on his land that we play paintball in. I had no idea how hard it is to clear a house until then. I also learned that if they know your coming in its almost impossible to get it. We had 12 guys outside and 3 inside only 2 guys were able to enter the house and they have been in the military for 12 years!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06bruce View Post
    A friend of mine has a old house on his land that we play paintball in. I had no idea how hard it is to clear a house until then. I also learned that if they know your coming in its almost impossible to get it. We had 12 guys outside and 3 inside only 2 guys were able to enter the house and they have been in the military for 12 years!
    From a military standpoint it's not exactly the same. Paintballs don't go through houses, bullets do. Also paintballers don't have the use of grenades, grenade launchers and other concussive devices.

In most cases a house surrounded by 12 guys is a death trap (for the guys inside).
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I know what you mean. Carrying makes you think and look at things differently because you are now in possession of a tool that can kill, thus with great power comes great responsibility!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

I've been legally carrying now for over 12 years. It's amazing the things that you unconsciously do now that you'd never have done before. Carrying has now become such a habit, that most of the time I'm not even aware of it. That becomes a real problem when I find myself in an area that it's not allowed.

you pity me for getting angry at the sheer stupidity and oblivious ignorance of other drivers who cause most of the traffic accidents each year in this country?
    I don't flip people off, I don't try to get revenge, I just swear out loud to myself, curse their mothers and reserve the right to get angry in a controlled manner.
    Its not your fault if stupid people affect your mood when it comes to driver safety. Its theirs. But thanks for the pity.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by urkrypt0nite View Post
    Moving out of my townhouse this week and while I was out eating with friends my roommate was getting the last of his stuff when he decided to get the grill from the backyard and move it out the gate and around to his truck. Well, to get there you have to go through my room; so when I come home and notice that the back door is partially open, the gate wide open....immediately was like danger! My 42" tv was still there, so I just cleared the house and locked up the back. Saw his grill was gone, but decided to call my roommate first to see if it was him. Of course, found out he 'forgot' to lock the back and gave him an earful for leaving my stuff up for grabs.

But I guarantee you that a year ago I would've just been like didn't I close this door? And probably never considered robbery. Just would've had that mindset that bad things like that wouldn't happen to me. Did I feel silly afterwards? No..could've absolutely been a burglar hiding upstairs or something. But it has made me wonder how I would've handled it before carrying, because he certainly failed to see why it was a big deal.
    I guess this thread had seen it's day...that is until the FUZZ arrived.

Anyway......I simply can't pick you over here, and I don't have much advice other than what's already been laid out. At this point I hope you're still active on the forum and actively pursuing those learning experiences and you're outlook on the world. Your headline is what caught my eye.....I must say it is rather unique as a statement.
    I'd just like to ask a couple of questions now, and you can either just simply contemplate them or you can answer in the thread, or just PM me without fear of criticism.
    Do you see the world in a better light now than before?
    Do you think the world can become a better place now that you carry?
    Since the difference is "amazing"......could you estimate or suggest a means of measurement in your own words?
    Again......I am intrigued here at the statement. Despite your newness to carry, and apparent inexperience (or formal training)....I think that there are many folks listening to what you've said and want to know more. All of us are learning. Think of the members here and how many years span from the youngest to eldest of members. Then those who just lurk here as visitors and never risk asking a simple question or give good advice when they know. It may seem like you've stepped out on a limb with your post, but I figure you're the little engine that could and would go up that hill. There are a lot of folks wanting a bit more myself included, and I've asked these questions not only for me, but those that want yet won't ask. You see......there are special qualities that each and every newbie has....some sit back and listen to the same old stuff that's been hashed out plenty of times here until they can't stand being silent anymore....then there's those that give a bird's eye view of what's going down at the moment from their point of view. My personal experiences sit back and listen whenever I get a glimpse of what it was like when I was a carry newbie........and it's because those days were so long ago for me that I respect anyone who can convey what actually happens during this time period. Truth be known....how you see the world now is a drop in the bucket compared to how the world might see you. I think you make a good impression. Stick around.
    JDE101 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links