Home Security System - Page 2

Home Security System

This is a discussion on Home Security System within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Security is a layered system starting from the street to the bedroom. Lighting, cutting brush back better locks on the doors, reinforcing the door jams, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Home Security System

Security is a layered system starting from the street to the bedroom. Lighting, cutting brush back better locks on the doors, reinforcing the door jams, security system, setting up shooting zones and then a safe room with a phone and firearm
    Chad Rogers likes this.

I have the alarm system, a 90 pound German Shepard that is trained and very protective of our house, motion sensitive lights our front as well as a good relationship with all of my neighbors. Since I have 2 teenage daughters that are old enough to stay at home by themselves, I went with the extra security. When I am home, I do carry in the house, but I am not home all the time and my wife is a stay at home mom. Unfortunately, my wife is anti gun, and wants nothing to do with them so I have been unable to have her learn to shoot.

My wife isn't "anti", she says they just aren't for her. Although while traveling recently, I was going in to check into a hotel about 12:30 am and I handed her my back-up 442 and she gladly held on to it for me while I got us a room.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    My wife isn't "anti", she says they just aren't for her. Although while traveling recently, I was going in to check into a hotel about 12:30 am and I handed her my back-up 442 and she gladly held on to it for me while I got us a room.
    Uh, did you accidentally cause her to commit a felony? If she is not licensed, she should not be in possession.
    What you did is an easy mistake to make, but one many never think about. Depending on state and some specifics,
    you can't just hand your wife the weapon when you are outside a location where anyone may possess; your home, perhaps the interior of your car. If you have traveled by plane, make sure you don't hand her the suitcase which was checked in.

Worse, in some states which don't allow unlicensed carry or car carry, your spouse could be charged with possession because
    you decided to just leave it in the console where she has access instead of carrying it on your person.

THIMK

Yeah, it is all state specific, and the chances of a problem arising are slim, but be cautious.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Last night my wife told me 3 houses that back up to the Bayou in my neighborhood (right around the corner) were broken into between noon and 2 pm. Typical knock and if no one is home smash and grab. When my wife and I talked to one of them, all of them had the alarm signs in their front yards but none of the home owners had their alarms on. A wooded area adjacent to the bayou is behind my house, so my wife and I had a very detailed conversation on being prepared and proactive when she is home and when she is out doing her errands. However, I did re state my position for her to learn to shoot, but she again rebuffed my attempts. Needless to say, the alarm will be set at all times when we are not home and will be set when just my kids are home. The dog will be in the house whenever we are not home for added measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Uh, did you accidentally cause her to commit a felony? If she is not licensed, she should not be in possession.
    What you did is an easy mistake to make, but one many never think about. Depending on state and some specifics,
    you can't just hand your wife the weapon when you are outside a location where anyone may possess; your home, perhaps the interior of your car. If you have traveled by plane, make sure you don't hand her the suitcase which was checked in.

Worse, in some states which don't allow unlicensed carry or car carry, your spouse could be charged with possession because
    you decided to just leave it in the console where she has access instead of carrying it on your person.

THIMK

Yeah, it is all state specific, and the chances of a problem arising are slim, but be cautious.
    I had actually researched all of the states we were travelling through on handgunlaw.us.org before we left (I always do, just in case anything changes). In Georgia, you can carry inside your car without a permit as long as you do not exit your vehicle. Once I returned to the car, she returned my 442. I had this same issue travelling back and forth from Virginia to Florida when I only had my Virginia CHP. Georgia did not recip, so I would gas up and do all of my outside the vehicle business in SC on the way down or in FL on my way up and "gun it" (pun intended) non stop through GA (only about 2 hours through). Now that I have my FL and VA, I'm covered in all of the states I normally travel and a ton of states I probably never will see. It is good to stay on top of it though. I appreciate the reminder.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thumbs up Home Security System

You're right! It's a wise investment and you made a right decision. Keeping your home secure is not as complicated as you think. With just good eye for details and, of course, creativity you can sleep soundly at night, knowing that your home is safe and secure. Of course, you can install your own home security system. But like all things that need customization, it would be better if itís professionally done.

We've got the ADT sign, but not a system. For now my rottweiler will alert us if we're home and buy some time. I do have a camera wired to a TV in my bedroom that I can see my driveway and side door on and I can record a few hours (acient technology - vhs lol) If someone gets in when we're not home, they'll just take the TV so I don't record as much as I used to. We've talked about getting a system, but so far haven't. I do carry from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to bed.

Our beautiful 'safe' neighborhood has had one robbery, one assault and two home invasions less than 2 miles from our house. You can't be safe enough no matter where you live.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links