Home Security System

Home Security System

This is a discussion on Home Security System within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got my first home security system installed a week or so ago. All doors, windows, motion, glass break, and fire. I even had my garage ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Home Security System

Home Security System

Got my first home security system installed a week or so ago. All doors, windows, motion, glass break, and fire. I even had my garage included. It is all monitored with 2-way communication capability to the monitoring company. Also has panic buttons for police, fire, medical. I have to say it really does give me a greater sense of security for when we are all home, when just I'm gone and the family's home, and when we are all out of town. Kind of like carrying, it is not a guarantee but it sure improves your odds of an early warning if you are at home or cutting someone's visit short if you're not. Either way, I personally feel like it is a wise investment. Any other thoughts on home security systems?
    mano3, mook012, Lish and 1 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Add the Rottweiler package.
    mano3, Lish and RETSUPT99 like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Ah, I'm a cheap-butt.

I've got a 'fake' ADT sign out front and general electric window alarms that go off if the windows are opened as well as some vibration sensors on the attic & basement windows that make a pretty horrible noise when activated.

I would almost love to watch someone try to break into my doors though. Both have Strikemaster II Pro's installed a 2x Edge Guard Pro's and also the hinges reinforced on both the frame and door side.

I just don't like the monthly payment security companies charge for monitoring. If someone does decide to come in they will be greeted by a Siberian Husky that won't be pleased about being woke up from a nice nap.

It is much better to have the piece of mind. I had a question though about the two way monitoring...I've heard that some thieves have been cutting the land line, is the other way of communication through an internet connection (per say coaxial if you have cable)?

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I have one too with good Fast monitoring from the central control,mine has a battery backup. A dog is pretty much only an alarm as most home invaders are armed and "BANG",there goes the dog. I also have a secondary system with a four camera display/recording for After the fact. It`s also useful in identifying the perps later and maybe a "Heads Up" if you see them gathering outside. I always carry at home. Always Carry,Never Tell.

It's also good to have a duress code. In case someone follows you in, it sends a silent alarm. Most systems have the capability.

As an Added Measure I recommend one of these video surveillance systems. It's not the best quality for surveillance it does the job and records.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

How well do you know your neighbors? If there are any that you trust and know well enough I recommend that they be given the alarm code and a key to your home. If you are out of town you will need someone to let the police gain access to and shut off the alarm if it is triggered when you are gone.

Our city requires someone be able to respond within 20 or 30 minutes to an alarm activation.

The video security system with remote monitoring is a good thing to have as well. When the dog starts to bark at 2 am, it is nice to be able to hit a switch or two and see if there is anything to get out of bed for.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My cousin owns a security firm. I just updated my home system last week. Had a cellular system installed with z wire capable components. Now when the alarm is triggered floods and some internal lights will activate. It also has motion detectors, glass pressure sensors, glass break microphones and the usual premier stuff. I have a key fob that can arm or disarm the system that I don't use but it has a hostage button so if something happened before I got in the house it will dispatch LEO. I can also check the status, arm or disarm the system via text message. And it sends a text of who and when the system was armed or disarmed so I know who's home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Old Anglo likes this.

They are a waste of money. Any idiot can defeat most of them in minutes, the rest just take a little longer. 20 to 30 minute response is no response if your in trouble. I reccommend a good trained dog that will awaken you by nudging if your home, barking if your not.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

What if the response time is 3 to 5 minutes? Does that make them worth any more?

If you're not home a dog is more easily defeated than most alarm systems.

Ideally you have both a dog and a decent alarm system. The more things you can put in place to deter criminals or make them work harder to target your property the better you are.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member
    I think when you are away it would bring peace of mind. The cost around here is around a dollar a day for the monitoring. Sometimes the system and install is free with a one year contract. I'm a tightwad too, so I don't yet have one. But I am considering it. My small town PD response time would be pretty quick. Sounds like you got the Cadillac model.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Bugdude,

which company did you go with. PM me if you don't want to list it. I'm not too far from you and I've been shopping for home security.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    They are a waste of money. Any idiot can defeat most of them in minutes, the rest just take a little longer. 20 to 30 minute response is no response if your in trouble. I reccommend a good trained dog that will awaken you by nudging if your home, barking if your not.
    It depends on what you want it for. It will let you know if someone breaches the perimeter if you are home and deter others when they can go to an unprotected home. A good trained dog is expensive/time consuming and over the long run costs more when you take into account food, vets, and the initial cost.

The system is both cellular and wireless. No lines to cut and is not dependent on power from the house. Also has key fob for remote operation. I can add cameras and program it to my iPhone for video or system status and full operation. Will likely get the rest of the deal too. The best part is I got a discount on my home and both classic cars insurance for both fire and theft monitored alarms since I got my garage included (and it has no external doors or windows besides the solid garage doors). That paid for more than half the year's monitoring cost. Is it perfect? Nope...but it can't hurt.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    BugDude - sounds like you have the same package I got. I like it not so much for the call the cops feature, but more for the sounds an alarm feature to wake/alert me if I am home. It provides a few extra seconds to respond to an intruder. We also put a second panel in the bedroom so we can activate/deactivate/monitor it from there, but the real reason was to have an alarm that sounds in the master bedroom as I could not hear the main panel's alarm all that well when in bed.

I also like that i can monitor the status of each sensor from my phone and can turn it on/off from the phone. This is a handy feature when you are traveling and have kids that are less than fully reliable using the alarm.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links