Our Neighborhood is Being Tested

This is a discussion on Our Neighborhood is Being Tested within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Did they do anything illegal?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Our Neighborhood is Being tested

Did they do anything illegal?

2. Remove Ads

A friend of mine said her husband was on his nice, new John Deer Riding Mower when a white truck with a couple of guys pulled up and asked him directions somewhere. A couple days later it was gone. A neighbor reported seing some guys in a white truck with a trailor pull up and load it up. The neighbor thought someone was coming to work on it or something...never occurred to her they were stealing it at the time. I'm sure they watched the house a day or two and noted the time of day they came and went. Another buddy of mine had his fairly new Cub Cadet stolen the same timeframe be people in a similar sounding truck. There was eventually an outfit busted in a larger town an hour or so away. They'd drive about an hour out of town in whatever direction, work that area for a couple weeks and then move on. I had an old mower that the transaxle broke. I was tempted to leave it at the road with a for sale sign on it in hopes they would steal it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post
    Since my son (living with us) owns a Great Dane, we do have an abundance of his "deposits." I love your idea but we do not own a pickup. I wish my neighbors would only be patient enough to let me try your method.
    Here is another idea for dog deposts
    DogDoo.com: The ultimate harmless, SATISFYING practical joke!
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The same people who don't notice anyone carrying openly will similarly not notice suspicious activity on their street. While there might be a better way to case a neighborhood, chances are these kids can rip stuff off before anyone notices, or can react.
    I already said this once:
    I did not say to not take notice. Just making a general comment. And no, not all crooks are geniuses, but if you read the OP it does not sound like they were casing anything. If they were up to no good I would think they were looking for stuff to steal right then (unattended loot in the back of pickups)

Could have been testing which houses had motion lights.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
    bigmacque likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Any way you look at this, it looks and seems suspicious enough to report and check out. I think your wife did the right thing, and I'd make sure the neighborhood knew about it.

We had a ring a few years ago that were based in the newspaper delivery vehicle. The guy delivering papers would drop two people off at one point in the neighborhood, then work up and down the streets while the other two were hitting vehicles -- literally hitting them, they broke the window on my van to access the contents of a locked vehicle. The delivery guy would then pick up the intruders a few blocks down on his route.

I'd keep an eye on and report anything that looked that suspicious to me.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Probably should have shot them. It's the only way to be sure.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Probably should have shot them. It's the only way to be sure.
    You're with the neighborhood watch team aren't you?
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    You're with the neighborhood watch team aren't you?
    This is going to deteriorate real quick LOL. I am surprised nobody asked if they had hoodies on.....

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Did they do anything illegal?
    They were most likely guilty of "trespassing" at the least. But, if their intent was to commit crimes by stealing items out of the back of PUTs, I think they could be charged with "criminal" trespass. (So yeah, what they were doing was illegal.)

-

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    It Sounds like kids might be selling mag subs or flyers....I use to Del to a guy that ran vans of people to neighborhoods to both
    Never the less keep an eye out but don't have a nerves breakdown
    And if you catch me in bed with your wife you'll probably just think I'm the local health inspector too!

This was the residential equivalent to a retail smash and grab.... Come in quick, grab what you can and get out before the cops show up. Doesn't sound like they got anything so it will likely be months before they make another sweep if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    This is going to deteriorate real quick LOL. I am surprised nobody asked if they had hoodies on.....
    Well, did they????

Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post
    Since my son (living with us) owns a Great Dane, we do have an abundance of his "deposits." I love your idea but we do not own a pickup. I wish my neighbors would only be patient enough to let me try your method.
    I'm sure a big ups box outside by the door all lit up would make them think they hit the mother load,
    accessbob likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    The good news is that now you have a great way to get rid of all those old dog turds that have been piling up in the yard. Just put them in a box, gift-wrap it with a nice big bow on top, and leave it in the back of your pickup. They're happy because they think they got away with something, and you're happy because you got rid of something. It's a win-win for all involved.
    To take it up a notch, I figure there has to be a way to combine this idea with this one: M-12 TR Tripwire Landmine

Men (not children) are doing this at night in my area. They check for unlocked vehicles. Caught them red-handed twice. They ran and got picked up by a car waiting nearby. I have been stolen from once, but they have attempted over 3 times - leaving hand prints on the windows. Yes, I had the prints taken. No, the police aren't doing anything proactive about it. It's becoming common occurrence around town, now. They never braved themselves enough to take anything from the porch or lawn equipment. I'm assuming it's too cumbersome for them. I won't feel bad for them if they attempt to be any braver and try to venture into the house.

I have increased lighting around the house as a deterrent. Not sure how well it's working, but I have less cars in the driveway now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links