Our Neighborhood is Being tested

Our Neighborhood is Being Tested

This is a discussion on Our Neighborhood is Being Tested within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last night, my wife was looking out of one of our front windows and she noticed that a van stopped at the bottom of our ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Our Neighborhood is Being tested

Our Neighborhood is Being tested

Last night, my wife was looking out of one of our front windows and she noticed that a van stopped at the bottom of our street and four young people got out of it and they immediately ran up both sides of our street. Whenever they saw a pickup truck parked in a driveway, they looked into the back of it to see what was there and then they continued up the street doing the same thing as they did their thing.

Once they all got up to the top of our street, they all ran back down to the bottom of the street, waited for the van that dropped them off, then they got into it and the van left.

My wife was so disturbed by what she saw that she called 911 and gave a report of what she had just seen.

She was thanked for making her report.

As of now, there is nothing else to report.

Anyone else seeing this kind of thing going on in your neighborhoods?

It Sounds like kids might be selling mag subs or flyers....I use to Del to a guy that ran vans of people to neighborhoods to both
    Never the less keep an eye out but don't have a nerves breakdown

If you can't secure it, it won't be yours for long nowadays...
    mano3 and bigmacque like this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    WE live in a town so small its not even incorporated, there are no official "city limits" etc. Within the past two months, we have experienced a continuing string of break-ins. Local Sherriff's office has some leads, but no arrests as of yet. If this keeps up, they will make a mistake, and a break-in will turn into a home invasion and these guys are going to get shot dead.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I've never seen people doing flyering (is that a word?) by looking into the backs of pickup trucks. Could be they were casing the street like the OP said. I live in a fairly quiet residential area and we get hit with breakins by people from elsewhere at fairly regular intervals. They break into cars and even homes in midmorning while people are at work or shopping, are in and out in just a few minutes. They'll hit a dozen places in a month, then go elsewhere for 6-8 months. They usually have a van to haul off the loot.
    bigmacque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post
    Last night, my wife was looking out of one of our front windows and she noticed that a van stopped at the bottom of our street and four young people got out of it and they immediately ran up both sides of our street. Whenever they saw a pickup truck parked in a driveway, they looked into the back of it to see what was there and then they continued up the street doing the same thing as they did their thing.

Once they all got up to the top of our street, they all ran back down to the bottom of the street, waited for the van that dropped them off, then they got into it and the van left.

My wife was so disturbed by what she saw that she called 911 and gave a report of what she had just seen.

She was thanked for making her report.

As of now, there is nothing else to report.

Anyone else seeing this kind of thing going on in your neighborhoods?
    The good news is that now you have a great way to get rid of all those old dog turds that have been piling up in the yard. Just put them in a box, gift-wrap it with a nice big bow on top, and leave it in the back of your pickup. They're happy because they think they got away with something, and you're happy because you got rid of something. It's a win-win for all involved.
    MleeC, JoeK, dukalmighty and 15 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    The good news is that now you have a great way to get rid of all those old dog turds that have been piling up in the yard. Just put them in a box, gift-wrap it with a nice big bow on top, and leave it in the back of your pickup. They're happy because they think they got away with something, and you're happy because you got rid of something. It's a win-win for all involved.
    I wonder if you can buy bank dye packs?

I would think there would be a better way of 'casing' a neighborhood than dropping folks off, having them look in the back of pick up trucks in plain view of everybody, and not even having the getaway vehicle there for them since you said they went to wait for the van to return.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I would think there would be a better way of 'casing' a neighborhood than dropping folks off, having them look in the back of pick up trucks in plain view of everybody, and not even having the getaway vehicle there for them since you said they went to wait for the van to return.
    I know it's dangerous to underestimate your opponent (didn't Sun Tzu say the same thing?), but OTOH nobody ever said petty thieves were known for being Mensa members.
    accessbob likes this.

We get a lot of oppertunity crimes around here. If it's not locked or secure, it's gone. They even try car door handles that aren't locked - got me that way a few years ago.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    Since my son (living with us) owns a Great Dane, we do have an abundance of his "deposits." I love your idea but we do not own a pickup. I wish my neighbors would only be patient enough to let me try your method.

Quote Originally Posted by dev_null View Post
    I know it's dangerous to underestimate your opponent (didn't Sun Tzu say the same thing?), but OTOH nobody ever said petty thieves were known for being Mensa members.
    I did not say to not take notice. Just making a general comment. And no, not all crooks are geniuses, but if you read the OP it does not sound like they were casing anything. If they were up to no good I would think they were looking for stuff to steal right then (unattended loot in the back of pickups)
    tcox4freedom likes this.

When I see weird stuff like that I just grab my cell phone or my digital camera and take pictures of the people and the vehicle. I usually walk out and snap a picture of the driver of the vehicle. The religious folk smile and start up a conversation (that is why they are in my neighborhood anyway). Others drive away as rapidly as possible. The latter I e-mail to my police department with a descriptive note, the time, and the location.
    mkh and tcox4freedom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    The same people who don't notice anyone carrying openly will similarly not notice suspicious activity on their street. While there might be a better way to case a neighborhood, chances are these kids can rip stuff off before anyone notices, or can react.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Break-in

Have you'all started a nieghborhood watch?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links