What's it like to be the victim of an armed home invasion...

This is a discussion on What's it like to be the victim of an armed home invasion... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...as an unarmed victim? Here's a brief recounting of an armed home invasion where the homeowners were robbed (and apparently stripped) while guns were held ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By mano3
  • 1 Post By W9HDG

Thread: What's it like to be the victim of an armed home invasion...

What's it like to be the victim of an armed home invasion...

...as an unarmed victim?

Here's a brief recounting of an armed home invasion where the homeowners were robbed (and apparently stripped) while guns were held to their temples and stun guns could be heard crackling... holding on to their dogs so that the dogs wouldn't get killed for trying to protect the homeowners.

I don't often wonder why I'm armed in my own home most of the time... stories like this confirm my situational preparedness.

Brief Comment by victim: Here
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

that’s a hard pill to swallow when you try to help someone and if comes back on you like he did. That is something he will have to live with even though it wasn't his fault... guilt is an evil mistress

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    About 18 years ago, my wife (girlfriend at the time), was present when the apt we lived in was invaded. We lived in the upstairs and she was there with a broken leg. Some guys knocked on the front door and she thought or friend, who lived downstairs, locked himself out which had done a few days prior. She hobbled down to the door to let him in and they saw her through the window. They then went around back and started trying to kick the door in. She managed to get herself locked into a room with a knife and phone. Moments later, the alarm system (which we did not advertise with signs) went off as they gave up on the door and came in through a window, tripping the instant motion detector. In response they bolted back out the window. Before getting that far in the home, they searched a bedroom and stole some cash and a gun (we didn't know our friend had). The alarm company called and she told them that there were intruders in the home. It still took 30 minutes for a police response (which improved dramatically on a subsequent false alarm several months later).

The fear, and irrational phobias, about home invaders have stayed with her ever since. It was also part of the reason she now has a CCW and keeps it with her in our home. Something like this is something you never fully get over. It is a deep violation of your sense of security, that leaves scars forever.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    It has never happened to me, but friends of ours had their home invaded back in the late 90's. Hearing them talk about it was chilling. The mother actually laid on top of their 3 year-old to protect her as the BG's beat the father.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Once burglerized, never at ease again.
    mano3 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Reason I'm always armed at home, that ... and other reasons as well. Had someone try to break in thru the back door before in the middle of the night . And this is a quiet area. LOL. Added two outside alarms .. and a 3rd dog.

There was a similar situation as the one described with 5 'friends' inside the apartment. It went for hours, with them stealing TV's , etc. and taking them one by one to ATM's, raping the 3 women mutiple times, and all sorts of things. Then took them to a soccer field and shot them all in the head, and then ran over them with their vehicle. One 'girl' survived.... because the bullet (.32 cal) richoted off a hair piece she had in her hair and she acted dead. The 2 guys that did it, had killed one other person about 1-2 months earlier, and robbed and threatened to kill another guy. They had "mistakeningly" been released from prison earlier than they were supposed to be, and started in on a crime spree.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Never had a home breach but once had a car broken in to and some minor stuff stolen, they missed the gun under the seat. Must have gotten spooked or only wanted what they saw. Being violated sucks.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I'm always armed at home and my dogs are the speedbump that I hope will give me time to draw and react. I love my dogs, but their main job is to be watchdogs and hopefully take a bite out of crime if the worst happens. While they're chewing, I'm shooting...
    W9HDG likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Hopefully take a bite out of crime if the worst happens. While they're chewing, I'm shooting...
    I have to agree with you there, or at least providing enough of a distraction to allow me to start shooting.
    Last edited by W9HDG; May 18th, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
    mano3 likes this.

Links