If you're like me.... - Page 2

If you're like me....

This is a discussion on If you're like me.... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Gene83 Thanks for your input. Consider this. Suppose that the intruder is unarmed. Suppose that you are not in the standard Weaver ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: If you're like me....

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Thanks for your input. Consider this. Suppose that the intruder is unarmed. Suppose that you are not in the standard Weaver stance directly behind your weapon, but thanks to the laser sights, you're firing from off-hand behind cover. Suppose that in addition to the laser, you have a high intensity LED flashlight illuminating the room. Well, all those suppositions could just change your perspective on the outcome of this scenario, couldn't they?

I agree with you. Laser sights aren't the answer for training. They are a tool. It's another tool in your toolbox. It's your choice whether to use it or not.
    weaver stance? you really got to be kidding, not only do you advocate using a laser which is a bad idea, the weaver stance went the way of the buggy whip! if someone is in my house their being armed or not is irrelevant, if they make it into my kill box, they're getting shot. Like I stated earlier, I don't clear houses, I wait for the intruder to hit my "kill zone" until then I call 911 and wait. trying to clear a house is not part of my skills set. and shouldn't be taken lightly by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    weaver stance? you really got to be kidding, not only do you advocate using a laser which is a bad idea, the weaver stance went the way of the buggy whip! if someone is in my house their being armed or not is irrelevant, if they make it into my kill box, they're getting shot. Like I stated earlier, I don't clear houses, I wait for the intruder to hit my "kill zone" until then I call 911 and wait. trying to clear a house is not part of my skills set. and shouldn't be taken lightly by anyone.
    Thanks, once again, for your input.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Why do you have such negative thoughts on the weaver stance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering how the heck you construct a "kill box" in your home.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

And if you do construct such a box, does that pretty much make anything that occurs within the box premeditated as far as the law is concerned?

I can see very well after my catarac surgery on my left eye. Now, the only thing getting old on me is the size of my muscles. I am trading muscles for fat evey year. Fortunately for me my muscles are still strong. Strong enough, I hope and Pray.

Agent Orange has plagued me the last 35 years. I still have control of my muscles, but the nerve endings are shot. I am mostly numb. So if I get shot you had better tell me or I may not feel the pain.

Vv

Quote Originally Posted by VNvet View Post
    I can see very well after my catarac surgery on my left eye. Now, the only thing getting old on me is the size of my muscles. I am trading muscles for fat evey year. Fortunately for me my muscles are still strong. Strong enough, I hope and Pray.

Agent Orange has plagued me the last 35 years. I still have control of my muscles, but the nerve endings are shot. I am mostly numb. So if I get shot you had better tell me or I may not feel the pain.

Vv
    Where were you exposed to Agent Orange?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Why do you have such negative thoughts on the weaver stance?
    obsolete and better alternatives are some words that come to mind. getting into a weaver stance in an SD situation will probably get you killed. I would encourage anyone using a weaver stance to get with a decent SD trainer and train with him ASAP!

And if you do construct such a box, does that pretty much make anything that occurs within the box premeditated as far as the law is concerned?
    I don't know the laws where you live but in FLA if a person is in my home uninvited he is getting shot, and it is presumed that he was up to no good, otherwise known as the castle doctrine, if you want to call that premeditated, have at it, I don't care!

I'm wondering how the heck you construct a "kill box" in your home.
    I hope that you really aren't this naive!

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I hope that you really aren't this naive!
    Oh, but I am. By the way, you misspelled "Ithaca" in your signature.
    21bubba likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Oh, but I am. By the way, you misspelled "Ithaca" in your signature.
    That's just too funny.

I use a laser pen to drive my cat nuts.....don't have one on any of my guns. Luckily I can still see at distance and only use reading glasses while I work and to read. Can't see my sights very well, but at least I can identify what I am attempting to shoot.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I am lucky that my long range sight is good, BUT I need reading glasses to even read a package for cooking. Keep a pair next to my chair....in the kitchen...and in my purse. Can't be without them.

That is why I keep my computer at a distance and draw it in to type. That is also why I edit so much. LOL
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Luckily, my eyes still work generally like they should (I'm still young). And at least with my long guns, I can pretty much hit what I need to at anything under 30 yards with little to no help from my sights, depending on the weapon and the target. I just shoot a lot. Hopefully this will help me in years to come, and for what it's worth, I don't plan on defending my home with a handgun. In SD on the street, I subscribe to Massad Ayoob's thinking, if I put the muzzle on the BG at <21ft, I'll hit it. Anything above will require an extra second, which honestly, I would rather use to run; my shoes are always a better tool than my firearm when it comes to SD. Think, Run, Shoot. In that order.

Now on to my dad. He not only has trouble focusing on three things simultaneously, he cant see in the dark at all. Even in sunlight things are dim for him. So on his 870 I got him as an early fathers day gift, is a TLR-2 with a laser. If you thought a laser gave you away, try having 160 lumens coming from you. So here, the laser helps him, and while the light/laser combo aren't ideal maybe, they're the best option for him.

EDIT: <21 feet, not yards
    Last edited by FLArmadillo; June 13th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links