If you're like me....

If you're like me....

This is a discussion on If you're like me.... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...you're not getting any younger. I came across this article on the internet and thought I would share for your opinions. http://www.personaldefensesolutions....-AgingEyes.pdf I've already installed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: If you're like me....

If you're like me....

...you're not getting any younger. I came across this article on the internet and thought I would share for your opinions.

http://www.personaldefensesolutions....-AgingEyes.pdf

I've already installed an Eotech on my AR because it works with my eyes. I'm thinking about putting Crimson Trace grips on my nightstand gun because fumbling for glasses at two in the morning seems a little impractical. The fact is, the older we become the more vulnerable, we may appear to be. You young folk can have your iron sights. I'm leaning toward lasers.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Gene, first let me say that I do have CTC grips on my 40c, which is my EDC as well as my night stand pistol.

I'd like to address your comment: "I'm thinking about putting Crimson Trace grips on my nightstand gun because fumbling for glasses at two in the morning seems a little impractical."

Equipping your nightstand gun/pistol with a laser, DOES/WILL NOT replace the necessity to clearly identify your target (Cooper's rule #4), which you will still need to do with a laser set up. Therefore, if that requires fumbling with your glasses, then you may need to re-think about how you are going to comply with rule #4 with or without your glasses.
    1911srule and Spirit51 like this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

I haven't been getting younger in years. I buy more ammo and less stuff these days. Lasers used to be for rock concerts and cool stuff. Now they are outlawed in many places. What is an "aid" when it comes to shooting anyway? A pretty nurse that will do almost anything for a price? I can only hope if I make it to old man status that I can still "stick up" for myself without medication. LOL! You guys are fun. Lasers are for surgery now.......LOL!
    shooterX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Gene, first let me say that I do have CTC grips on my 40c, which is my EDC as well as my night stand pistol.

I'd like to address your comment: "I'm thinking about putting Crimson Trace grips on my nightstand gun because fumbling for glasses at two in the morning seems a little impractical."

Equipping your nightstand gun/pistol with a laser, DOES/WILL NOT replace the necessity to clearly identify your target (Cooper's rule #4), which you will still need to do with a laser set up. Therefore, if that requires fumbling with your glasses, then you may need to re-think about how you are going to comply with rule #4 with or without your glasses.

Let me try to clarify on that. Thanks to the lens implants after the cataract surgery, I have 20/20 vision beyond a foot or two. My glasses just allow me to pick up the sights. If I don't have to use the sights, then I don't need the glasses. The Eotech and the Crimson Trace grips would allow me to work without glasses. Does that explain it better?
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Let me try to clarify on that. Thanks to the lens implants after the cataract surgery, I have 20/20 vision beyond a foot or two. My glasses just allow me to pick up the sights. If I don't have to use the sights, then I don't need the glasses. The Eotech and the Crimson Trace grips would allow me to work without glasses. Does that explain it better?
    get comfortable with point shooting and you'll use your sites less and less

VIP Member
    I practice without my eye glasses on (non-Rx shooting glasses) now and then so I am used to it if I need to get up in the middle of the night and forget to put them on.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    get comfortable with point shooting and you'll use your sites less and less
    I'm working on that also. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I say go with the laser. Anything that will help you place that bullet it a good thing.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I haven't been getting younger in years. I buy more ammo and less stuff these days. Lasers used to be for rock concerts and cool stuff. Now they are outlawed in many places. What is an "aid" when it comes to shooting anyway? A pretty nurse that will do almost anything for a price? I can only hope if I make it to old man status that I can still "stick up" for myself without medication. LOL! You guys are fun. Lasers are for surgery now.......LOL!
    This is hilarious! Ram rod with the humor as always! All joking aside I'm only 26 and have one on my keltec. I like it. If anything it could be a deterrent itself if need be. It is the only laser I have though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    I say go with the laser. Anything that will help you place that bullet it a good thing.
    in a sd situation dependence on a laser could get you very dead

When my burglar alarm siren blasted on at 3:00 A.M. I found my CT laser sights on my bedside revolver very useful. I only needed my reading glasses to read the code on the alarm, code #2 basement motion detector.

Learned a few things from that experience: I need a key pad in the bedroom. When you're nervous a laser sight is a useful tool. And it takes the Sheriff's deputy thirty minutes to get here.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    When my burglar alarm siren blasted on at 3:00 A.M. I found my CT laser sights on my bedside revolver very useful. I only needed my reading glasses to read the code on the alarm, code #2 basement motion detector.

Learned a few things from that experience: I need a key pad in the bedroom. When you're nervous a laser sight is a useful tool. And it takes the Sheriff's deputy thirty minutes to get here.
    the laser lets that guy in your basement know exactly where you are and while you're getting that laser right on target the BG is able to take you out or he is putting lead into your laser.
    you should train more, learn how to get a good shot off without relying on your sites, more training means less nervousness and shaking.
    you should consider not trying to clear the house and learn how to set up a defensive position and kill zone. Let the BG come to you instead of you putting yourself at risk, property can be replaced!

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    the laser lets that guy in your basement know exactly where you are and while you're getting that laser right on target the BG is able to take you out or he is putting lead into your laser.
    you should train more, learn how to get a good shot off without relying on your sites, more training means less nervousness and shaking.
    you should consider not trying to clear the house and learn how to set up a defensive position and kill zone. Let the BG come to you instead of you putting yourself at risk, property can be replaced!
    Thanks for your input. Consider this. Suppose that the intruder is unarmed. Suppose that you are not in the standard Weaver stance directly behind your weapon, but thanks to the laser sights, you're firing from off-hand behind cover. Suppose that in addition to the laser, you have a high intensity LED flashlight illuminating the room. Well, all those suppositions could just change your perspective on the outcome of this scenario, couldn't they?

I agree with you. Laser sights aren't the answer for training. They are a tool. It's another tool in your toolbox. It's your choice whether to use it or not.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Thanks for your input. Consider this. Suppose that the intruder is unarmed. Suppose that you are not in the standard Weaver stance directly behind your weapon, but thanks to the laser sights, you're firing from off-hand behind cover. Suppose that in addition to the laser, you have a high intensity LED flashlight illuminating the room. Well, all those suppositions could just change your perspective on the outcome of this scenario, couldn't they?

I agree with you. Laser sights aren't the answer for training. They are a tool. It's another tool in your toolbox. It's your choice whether to use it or not.
    It's considerations like these that the anti-laser group have little to no answer for.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    It's considerations like these that the anti-laser group have little to no answer for.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything you encounter looks like a nail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links