Responsibility to your neighborhood! - Page 2

Responsibility to your neighborhood!

This is a discussion on Responsibility to your neighborhood! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Very poignant post, Ramrod. Thank you for the reality-check....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Responsibility to your neighborhood!

VIP Member
    Very poignant post, Ramrod. Thank you for the reality-check.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Responsibility to family > Responsibility to neighborhood

I'll admit, I mind my own business until business minds my family.

Heck, everyone gives me a hard time because I yell at anyone who drives down our street too fast... I'd rather be the jerk than see something happen to a little kid, but that's just me I guess.
    Last edited by Civil_Response; June 12th, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
    W9HDG likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Heck, everyone gives me a hard time because I yell at anyone who drives down our street too fast... I'd rather be the jerk than see something happen to a little kid, but that's just me I guess.
    It's a balancing act. My dad used to step out into the street to slow cars down. Until one day the guy jumped out and went at him (my dad is 79). He doesn't do that anymore.

If nobody does anything, the communities go downhill. If one person takes it all on, they gets an untimely demise. The right balance is somewhere in-between. Discretion being the better part of valor.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    WHEC my neighbor & i would park our cars so that both ways had to snake by alternating single file. we got the town to lower the speed limit on our side street to a elementary school
    but our way is what it took to slow the mommiies SUV speedster pic-up brigrade down. that neighbor moved, the town did some traffic 'calming' with speed bumps.

can't fight mom on a mission for her precious little monsters
    WHEC724 and W9HDG like this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What is that? Like a doctor's responsibility to save lives? As far as the original post........I feel I could write a book at this point. Let me tell you a bit about calling the police.......why is it that when you call they want more information about you than the complaint you're making? When the cops go knocking on doors or to investigate they freely give up their source of information (you). Personally, I see a lot of things and I am fully aware of what goes on in my neighborhood. If I see someone thrown out of a car or shot in the street, I'll call 911. I also like to have all four tires on my vehicle when I get ready to go to work, I don't want to wake up in a burning house, or come home to find my cat gutted and hung above the doorway. Years ago I voluntarily took on the responsibility for the integrity of this whole country with a small team. Your average neighborhood is incapable of working as a team believe me. As I've said in other posts, seems there are more enemies here at home now than anywhere in rest of the world. If someone obviously needs help and is unable to ask, then I'm there. I will simply not take responsibility for those who wouldn't take it upon themselves, and if someone needs to be saved, then they should pray to the Good Lord. If I ever get to the point of feeling that I have a responsibility to my neighborhood that puts my life at risk...........................I will move. Think about the day you tried to save your neighborhood while you're lying face down in your own front yard bleeding to death from a drive-by shooting and praying yourself (in those last few precious moments) that your neighbors are dialing 911 for you. Reality pretty much sucks, and if you weren't so young, you're eyes might see more than what they do now. Most heros are dead, those awarded for heroism would rather not talk about it, and those who want to be heros either need to join the armed forces and be willing to die, or check themselves into a clinic for evaluation. Talk to me about responsibility................you a registered voter? Do you vote on your local level? How about the last presidential election? Ever get involved with your community instead of feeling responsible for it? How often do you actually talk to your neighbors in the hood? At this point I think I've said enough.....if I go further it would just become redundant. I will however leave a few tips for the neighborhood heros out there and it all comes from experience.
    A......dialing 911 is simple but only use for emergencies
    B......if you want to phone in a complaint to the local PD.....use a cell phone and disable your caller ID
    C......when asked by the dispatcher (contract company in my area) for your personal information...reply with "I'm just a concerned citizen reporting a problem or a crime taking place" and then immediately hang up.
    Why disable caller ID when you simply call in to report? I think I already told you why.....because the folks you are calling in about will ask who complained and the responding officers will tell them freely without any formal FOI request being made. Public is public. If you're going on a mission you've got to at least CYA first.
    Seriously? I'm usually pretty serious when I give out advice to my family. I'd rather not read your post one day then read your obituary the next. If you know someone in law enforcement personally, I suggest you run this by them and see what they have to say. It's true to the best of my knowledge,and it's how things go down here locally. I've been there. I have plenty more........................but I know that maybe only a fraction of a percentage are going to read and heed my advice.
    My best advice to the community hero is.......................find an attorney and file your living will today.
    You'll always have my best wishes just because you're here.
    I wouldn't classify calling the police trying to be a hero. That's what I did! When I was being threatened I retreated into the house to call the police. I understand where you're coming from but..... Do you suggest I give up, accept it, sell my house and hope it doesn't happen again. Again, I retreated while armed to call the police. How was I trying to be a hero?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It's a balancing act. My dad used to step out into the street to slow cars down. Until one day the guy jumped out and went at him (my dad is 79). He doesn't do that anymore.

If nobody does anything, the communities go downhill. If one person takes it all on, they gets an untimely demise. The right balance is somewhere in-between. Discretion being the better part of valor.
    Balancing acts are seen at the circus. Nobody did anything when they needed to and that's the whole point....now is kinda late thanks to those who wouldn't take responsibility when needed most. This is why you're outnumbered now and unable to develop a team. You getting into your neighbor's business will become a crime just like a hate crime in the near future believe me. Call in too many times on a suspected drug dealer or whatnot and you yourself may very well be charged with harassment or obstructing operations.
    Discretion and valor. Ask any one of your neighbors to define those terms. There is no balance to be found anywhere now for anything. The ideal world was once much closer to being obtained than it is now. No turning back the clock now and this is why some of us have come to the point of taking up self defense for ourselves.
    Big Brother would rather see all of the idealists behind bars.....thing is.....they don't have enough prisons to do it. By the way....there's more than one way to kill the idealist other than just shooting them........give them a slow painful death by taxing them on everything, making health care unaffordable, raising your blood pressure worrying about paying your bills or taxes out of fear, working more than one job to make ends meet for a family, or out of plain simple fear of doing anything that might be enjoyable or relaxing.
    Very poignant post, Ramrod. Thank you for the reality-check.
    I never seek gratitude. There were a couple of questions in my reply you didn't see fit to answer on your responsibility issues. I'll still be awaiting those answers.

I wouldn't classify calling the police trying to be a hero. That's what I did! When I was being threatened I retreated into the house to call the police. I understand where you're coming from but..... Do you suggest I give up, accept it, sell my house and hope it doesn't happen again. Again, I retreated while armed to call the police. How was I trying to be a hero?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Please read my reply word by word. If your call to police was on the record then not good for you. If you did dial 911. There is a difference here...calling to report and dialing 911. Again...read the post and replies. I'm not posting to get anyone bent out of shape. But there are complaints and emergencies. Please specify.

I don't call 911 unless I have to. Normal business hours call go to the station. After hours calls go to Campbell county dispatch. I do, vote. Local, and nationally. I also attend council meetings every second Wednesday of the month. I have the appropriate numbers saved to my phone. I'm not bent out of shape. Just replying to the hero reference. I actually appreciate your wisdom.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

In fact 911 is useless because the calls default to Cincinnati 911 and I have to transferred to Campbell County KY 911. I live across the river from Cinti OH. I could swim there faster than walking.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I live in Bellevue, KY/Cincinnati. Our community is pretty nice but with the closing of major subsidized housing in a neighboring town we have seen some of the bad element come our way. Heroin has become a big problem almost overnight. Break ins and theft has been rising due to the increase in drug problems. We just recently got a new police chief who seems to be doing a good job.

Several months ago some new neighbors moved in across the street me. It wasn't long before shady characters, local high school kids, and neighborhood druggies started frequenting the new drug house. Multiple visit at all hours of the day from Ohio and Kentucky license plates staying only minutes. They do the handshake swap drugs for money. The neighbors all know whats going and have been writing down plate numbers, times and duration. All the neighbors talk a good game but when it's time to step up and take back our community they cower in fear behind their doors.

Two weeks ago the fun started. I was having breakfast when a friend text me that the police were across the street from my house. turned on the scanner app on my phone. Sure enough, it was the dealers house. MWAG call! when I got home there was a suspicious guy on the dealers porch. When he saw me he got up and left. Every time I went to check he would walk away. Police were called and the kid told police he was there to buy dope. That was call #2 for the day. Later that night there was another altercation at the house and I called the police again. The following day my Neighbor asked what was going on, I said "I called the police on the drug dealer. The drug dealer heard this and came out to confront me and call me all kinds of racist names and invited me to the street making threats of violence and and retaliation. I went inside to call the police. When the police arrived ALL my neighbors developed amnesia and couldn't recall any threats retreating back into their houses. The police could not do anything but talk to him. Wednesday night the drug dealer was arrested, I don't know what for. While I was in Chicago neighbors say he was seen moving stuff out of the rental house. I have since been told by a neighbor that I should watch my back because the dealer said he was gonna get me.

I believe you always have to do the right thing no matter what the cost! I am not the guy who says "I just mind my own business and protect me and my own". We have a responsibility to the community.

I'm glad my neighbors can sleep safe because I put my butt on the line! If the roles were reversed, I would be out there supporting them and letting the police know what I saw and heard.

Just thought I would share my story.
    TMI !!! Drug dealers in Bellvue, KY probably have the internet too. Sharing a story is unnecessarily releasing a lot of information that should be kept confidential until the problem is removed. If, you're concerned about your safety. Just my .02.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Sounds like the neighborhood I lived in for 15 years and fled. Fortunately I was able to retire and financially able to relocate to the country. Living in an urban / subdivision setting all my life, I've seen flight several times over. One way or another the government is always involved with the degradation of communities and neighborhoods.

This last 15 year go around was started by ONE scumbag in the subdivision who rented out to Section 8 housing. Then a couple more did the same thing, then for sale signs popped up like pop corn, property values sank to the bottom, then the low life's moved right in. I had my home on the market for almost three years and accepted 1/4 of its appraised value to get out of Dodge.

In a three year period crime sky rocketed, kids moved their mobil basketball hoops into the street and gave you the finger if you wanted to get by. Not to mention a constant car rally in the subdivision and everyone always shook hands?

It's a fine idea to want to get your neighborhood back, I applaud you. But the fact remains, I've never seen or heard of a crime infested neighborhood being reversed by the residents and police. Once property values plumet it's all over but the drugs and crime. Been their - done that, several times.

From what I've seen, you only have a slim chance of taking back the "hood", and that's if it's not to far gone. You would need a strong community watch program with most residents on board and a strong and well manned police department. Most people don't want to get involved for fear of reprisal and retribution. Most have families and property to protect and don't desire a bullseye on their back.

Personally, I weighed my options and talked to some neighbors about what we could do to take our neighborhood back. The neighbors talked a good game but ultimately fended for themselves and did nothing but, MOVE, adding to the already deteriorating "hood".

You can only count on yourself and family and your responsibility is to the same. In my experience there's only one viable option, relocate. Before I was able to sell my homes and move, I had a security system installed, had a good guard / alert dog, was well armed, practiced situational awareness and made my home and property as unattractive as possible for crime. I set curfews for my family to be home by and instructions on what to do under some circumstances.

Hope all works out well for you.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    TMI !!! Drug dealers in Bellvue, KY probably have the internet too. Sharing a story is unnecessarily releasing a lot of information that should be kept confidential until the problem is removed. If, you're concerned about your safety. Just my .02.
    Never been to Bellevue have you?

I don't call 911 unless I have to. Normal business hours call go to the station. After hours calls go to Campbell county dispatch. I do, vote. Local, and nationally. I also attend council meetings every second Wednesday of the month. I have the appropriate numbers saved to my phone. I'm not bent out of shape. Just replying to the hero reference. I actually appreciate your wisdom.
    Good deal. At least you know how your local government works or won't. "Business hours".......again.......you've pretty much let them screw you on this deal. Call between 9am and 5pm? Forget all that on Fridays? After hours call are like me calling in a loose dog when the animal control officer is off duty. Local PD won't do a damn thing despite city ordinances (after hours). They want to know if the animal is viscous. Silly ordeal huh? Last time they asked me if the animal was viscous I asked them if they wanted me to ask the animal at large. Local law is a joke here and I can just imagine what it's like in other parts of the country now. You're only a hero when you don't have backup, and when you don't have backup you need to think more about your response. The only person who can appreciate my wisdom is me and that's for whatever it's worth at the time.
    ericb327 likes this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Never been to Bellevue have you?
    Nope!
    ericb327 likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

That would be a no. I already knew they would not help out! It's been like this for the last 6 years. I would do it the same way next time. It would just be nice if they would step up just once.
    You are hereby promoted to sheepdog first class.
    W9HDG likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I never seek gratitude. There were a couple of questions in my reply you didn't see fit to answer on your responsibility issues. I'll still be awaiting those answers.
    I think you have me confused with the OP. You'll be waiting a long time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links