Secure your garage,glad I did.. - Page 2

Secure your garage,glad I did..

This is a discussion on Secure your garage,glad I did.. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you can get some films of the perp, that'd give you some leverage with him and his family. Like......."Leave me alone now, please"...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Secure your garage,glad I did..

If you can get some films of the perp, that'd give you some leverage with him and his family. Like......."Leave me alone now, please"

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Great tip, I never would have thought of that type of entry.
    Thanks for the post!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would definitely file a report. Worse comes to worse you have documentation of being harrassed multiple times and have a reason why you were ready and had to protect your home.

Also, get a game cam. They are relatively cheep, you can use them for loads of other stuff, and it'll be that much better of a report when you file the break in.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In my area there have been a lot of break-ins via the "release" mechanism on the opener. My quick foil to that was to remove the rope! If my opener fails, it'll take me about 15 seconds more to get a stepladder in place and pull the pin that disconnects the opener from the door.
    That was my first thought, but then I saw this video which shows the hanger latching onto the metal release lever rather than the rope:

The Garage Shield : Prevent Garage Break In

The pushing in the middle to reach the release rope can be stopped easy. Put a zip tie though the two holes in the latch then they can pull all day with no action.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

In the video by the original poster take note it shows the hanger being inserted into hole on the release lever. The Garage Shield wants you to believe this can be done in 6 seconds. I seriously doubt that being one has to do it blind. I understand they have to market their product. BTW the want $35.00 for what appears to be a piece of cardboard to prevent what they claim. Photos and Videos

I did some research.

* It depends on who's garage door opener you have

* I took a pic of my own release lever (below -- white arrow shows where cord attaches which I previously removed)

* Take note they have to get the coat hanger into the hole blind which if even possible it will take more than 6 seconds (I will be placing a bolt in the hole on mine just in case -- FYI: my lever has to pulled straight down to activate -- the one in the ad appears to have a "trigger" pull)

* You can make your own garage shield for next to nothing by placing something across bar at red arrow in below pic

1911srule likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    They simply can't do anything this far out in the woods. I see no benefit in doing so. Anyway hope someone here can benefit from this.
    Something to consider: being far out in the woods can increase the probability that the noise from a more-vigorous attack would go unnoticed. The idiot(s) doing the damage can't ignore that reality forever.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

P95
    A good dog will do the trick

Got my son on vegetation control duty today. At least it may deter someone if my neighbor can SEE my garage! Gonna try Crowman's advice about the guard. Maybe I can fashion something outta plastic that will prevent actuating that lever. Even if it were my door will not open the way I have it. Recently a camp right behind us was broken into. They suspect some kids that we took notice of. Apparently the "leader" of the pack used to live in a camp about 150 yds from here. So I really don't know who did this. Our convict and his brother are my first thought because of history. I need to rethink video approach. But I'm stumped. Gotta put it in a tree somehow.After sleeping on it I think I'll have a trooper stop by to show them this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member
    Even if you can't put a real camera covering the garage door, stick a dummy dome up there. Heck even better if you put a real one in the tree that is camouflaged, let them mess with the fake one if they are so inclined.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Fake camera domes are an inexpensive deterrent. Since I'm not at my NC house all the time, I stuck four up on the house and garage (heck, there weren't even locks on the windows when I bought the place). The county was up here while I was gone doing work on the sewer line. They were finishing their road repairs when I arrived. The foreman came up to me and wanted to express how sorry he was that one of his guys had taken a leak in my yard and had been caught on tape. He was telling me up front because he was worried I'd call it in and the man in question would be fired, and how much this guy needed to keep his job and so forth. I let him know that wasn't my purpose in installing my "cameras"...no worries.....
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Sounds like a game show video,hope you get this solved.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    A motion detector in the garage, connected to an airsoft paintball claymore M18A1 CLAYMORE AIRSOFT Mine with Wireless Remote Control on eBay!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    Trail cams...or stage an ambush
    If the OP is in the boonies, I recommend Claymores...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Metal door? Wire that sucker and plug it in at night.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links