Secure your garage,glad I did..

This is a discussion on Secure your garage,glad I did.. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; one thing I learned when working in warehouses are the roll up doors are worthless to keep people out so what we did was put ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Secure your garage,glad I did..

one thing I learned when working in warehouses are the roll up doors are worthless to keep people out so what we did was put a pc of bent metal in the door track holes so they can lift the door open no matter what. same here at the house I use a tire lug wrench and drilled a hole just above one of the rollers and slide the lug wrench in the hole.... done no entry there.

Just an FYI.... a pair of vise grips clamped to the door track will do the same thing

2. Remove Ads

Heh, great minds think alike. Was wondering about the legality of rigging an electric fence transformer with short loop inline with point of entry. Non lethal????But maybe a fire hazard.Was working on repairing garage door tonight. This has happened several times, the door has split in four places from being pushed in and out using outer handle. I removed it and put another on the inside so we can open and close door. Door was new 8 yrs ago, its trashed now. Maybe I can find another more sturdy.I have a temporary brace holding top of door shut. Moved high dollar stuff to house. Chained sons dirt bike so it won't walk away easily. I'm disgusted.But much appreciate the positive input. thanx guys...

barstoolguru,
    Similar to ours. Two tow hooks, 3/4" bolts, bungied to frame
    RIP Jeff Cooper

electric fence transformer
    Darn funny to visualize, but probably not recommended. Those really hurt. My horse fence is pushing 6,000 volts, probably 7,000 after our rain. Woo Hoo. Quite a ride.

Rock and Glock,
    Maybe I could rent a trunk monkey for garage and just leave door unsecured, lol.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by TailRunner View Post
    Another useful item for your home, a driveway motion detector, but it can be used anywhere you can place it. I use one at my drive entrance about 100 feet away, lets me know I have company, wanted or not.

Driveway Motion Detector Single-beam System - GEMPLER'S
    +1, but get one that uses an electromagnetic or induction loop. No problems with deer/coyotes/etc making noise.

If you don't want to go full wireless surveillance, I'd say to hide a couple trail cams to catch faces and license plates, then put a dummy camera covering the garage as both deterrent and to keep them from noticing the real cams.

Not trying to hijack here, just an account of protecting one's property: someone I know (ahem) used to own a Jeep rag top. Twice, thieves broke in and stole the stereo. It's the kind with the nuts on the posts to secure the chassis behind the dash. When the third stereo went in, this person took the time to solder a couple of single edge razor blades to the back of the stereo. Whadya know, a month later, he comes out to find the canvas open, the stereo hanging in the dash, and a lot of blood on the floor mats. I wondered why he hadn't called the police and checked the ER's because someone had to have gone for medical attention. He didn't call the police, because what he did was a felony in his state. You can't booby trap your own property.
    NH_Esau likes this.

Yankeejib,
    I don't blame your friend one bit. But yeah I know it is illegal(felony) to use any trap that can cause serious bodily harm or death. Grey area on trunk monkey, guess it depends on his level of training. lol Or if ya got a peeper/pervert watching the wife thru bathroom window don't nail fish hooks on the sill. Understood. But when someone is repeatedly victimized and the law either can't or won't help there will be some who will cross the line.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Solved the motion light problem, replaced with mercury vapor light that will stay on all night. Maybe my cockroach won't come into the light. Whoever the offender is, he's only hit us when my neighbor works nights. Likes a full moon on weekends. Knows where security cam and motion sensor is. Does'nt care if we're home. Maybe since another camp was hit near us, the neighbors will keep an eye out.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

I had my garage doors included in my monitored home security system. If they open by any means with the alarm engaged, the alarm goes off.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

this is how Texas looks down on trunk monkeys and high voltage door knobs
    so it might be a good idea to check with your state

PC 9.44. USE OF DEVICE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. The justification afforded by Sections 9.41 and 9.43 applies to the use of a device to protect land or tangible, movable property if:
    (1) the device is not designed to cause, or known by the actor to create a substantial risk of causing, death or serious bodily injury; and
    (2) use of the device is reasonable under all the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be when he installs the device

7000 volts is not a substantial risk of severe bodily harm. I have hit a fence more than I care to admit (even intentionally in the younger days) it is just a deterent.
    1911srule likes this.

I messed with my garage doors last night and it actually took a LOT of force for me to pull the rope and get it to let go of the door. My wife couldn't do it using all of her weight (which isn't much, but still). I can't imagine anyone being able to unlatch it with anything from outside the garage as difficult as it was to unlatch from right underneath it inside. I could be wrong.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

BugDude,
    Since the first incident when my automatic door opener was trashed. We disconnected it and manually open and close door easily. I have talked with 3 neighbors who have all said over time their garages were entered by someone and stuff walked away. What surprised me was I was the only one ticked off by this...

Can someone tell me, is there a wireless camera that is NOT 2.4 ghz?? Without audio capability. Only way to end this is get video good enough to prosecute.
    Last edited by 1911srule; July 1st, 2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: add question
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links