Secure your garage,glad I did..

This is a discussion on Secure your garage,glad I did.. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This past weekend I took four days off and stayed home so the wife and kids could visit the outlaws. Locked up garage as usual ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Secure your garage,glad I did..

This past weekend I took four days off and stayed home so the wife and kids could visit the outlaws. Locked up garage as usual and discovered upon their return some scumbag(s)(this is the 3rd time this has happened.)tried to break into my garage. First time they ruined my Craftsman Auto door opener doing this. They pushed in the center(4 car garage)and forced a tool into top where inside latch is. Also tried a pry bar under the door. I had it secured with two tow hooks with 3/4"bolts, bungee cord to frame & bottom. So no entry was made. But each attempt is further ruining my door. Wish I could post a picture. Anyway I found this you tube video and realized the attempt up top was to get a coat hanger in to release latch. I'm sure it was same person as they avoided the side door which is locked and covered by a security camera and motion sensor. The front is situated so it cannot be covered by a camera without using wireless which don't want. Motion light sensor was moved to point skyward. I have not nor will I notify police. They simply can't do anything this far out in the woods. I see no benefit in doing so. Anyway hope someone here can benefit from this...

On one attempt the opposition literally tore a 6 ft section of soffet from overhang along side of garage furthest from the house. Leaned a pallet up against the wall. I discovered this and wondered. Climbed up there and was able to see clearly the contents of my garage. This crap is getting old. I have a good idea who is doing this and I've posted about our problem convict before. Errrrr, here goes my BP again!

Brief demonstration of garage door break in and solutions. - YouTube
    RIP Jeff Cooper

I have a motion sensor IN my garage. It's not attached to lights. It's attached to a circuit with a door bell buzzer in my bedroom. Bad news for the next uninvited guest.

You should definitely make a police report. Even if they do nothing now, you've documented a pattern as well as laid the grounds for an insurance claim in the event of a break in and loss. We reported something two years ago, and nothing ever came of it. We finally got a hit on a stolen power tool (nice to have all your serials and pics on file too). The police showed us some pictures of potential perps and whatdya know, I recognized someone who had been part of work crew at my place back then. Busted. I never took the insurance money, so I have a judgement on Mr. Scumbag now. He'll never get off probation until he pays up, and I'd rather have it hanging over his head forever....

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    3 times? You must have some pretty neat stuff in there and somebody knows about it and wants it. Maybe you should help them along and then stake it out for a few nights if you can spare the time. I bet the look on his face would be priceless when you tap him on the shoulder while he's wrecking your door.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Inspector71,
    Heh, when this first started I staked it out EVERY night determined to catch the person. All I did was piss off police and give myself high blood pressure. Now I KNOW who this is and even if we did catch him. The rest of their clan would be cause for more concern. Had a confrontation once where it was hinted too how easy it'd be to burn my house down. So after MUCH thought I put my efforts in prevention instead. I have also tried to avoid any further confrontations with same. Sounds wimpy I know, but my family is my first responsibility. We have been looking for another job to move to..See its...complicated.But writing helps me vent and put in perspective.For the record my earliest posts were about this same problem. Got some good advice. Heck one member here suggested I install a intercom , I did. The night I suspect this happened I slept like a rock. Anyone near my bedroom window(about 60 ft from garage) would have heard me snoring away. I set house alarm each night, can't disarm it without it making alot of noise. Woods surround the property, its not good for security.Garage is prime target with alot of tools.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Motion sensor in garage sounds like a great idea. I'm all over that!
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Motion sensor in garage sounds like a great idea. I'm all over that!
    No false alarms from critters, either.

In my area there have been a lot of break-ins via the "release" mechanism on the opener. My quick foil to that was to remove the rope! If my opener fails, it'll take me about 15 seconds more to get a stepladder in place and pull the pin that disconnects the opener from the door.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Trail cams...or stage an ambush
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I've often thought a trail cam in the garage would be a good idea. Trouble is, where to mount it so they couldn't steal/smash it?

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    I've often thought a trail cam in the garage would be a good idea. Trouble is, where to mount it so they couldn't steal/smash it?
    You could always go hi-tech and just wireless webcam the joint, recording to a hard drive secure in the house.

I have two of these cameras currently in use for catching thieves. Quiet, no flash, picture quality is really good at night, worth considering. Problem I am hearing from you is after you catch him in the act, you will have your hands full with his relatives. Get a police report filed, include comments about your house getting burned down. File a report every time something happens. Get a BIG dog.

Primos® TRUTH Cam BLACKOUT™ 7.0/5.0 Megapixel Digital Trail Camera | Bass Pro Shops

•Designed to be undetectable to animals and humans
    •50 foot night range with no flash, glow, or light
    •7.0 MP daylight/5.0 MP night resolution
    •Awesome image quality
    •Battery life is extended by up to 200% with four D batteries
    •One-second trigger speed
    •No visible LED light
    •ZERO photo or video capture noise
    •Rugged case with security cable holes
    •Requires a SD card

Good Luck.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Inspector71,
    Heh, when this first started I staked it out EVERY night determined to catch the person. All I did was piss off police and give myself high blood pressure. Now I KNOW who this is and even if we did catch him. The rest of their clan would be cause for more concern. Had a confrontation once where it was hinted too how easy it'd be to burn my house down. So after MUCH thought I put my efforts in prevention instead. I have also tried to avoid any further confrontations with same. Sounds wimpy I know, but my family is my first responsibility. We have been looking for another job to move to..See its...complicated.But writing helps me vent and put in perspective.For the record my earliest posts were about this same problem. Got some good advice. Heck one member here suggested I install a intercom , I did. The night I suspect this happened I slept like a rock. Anyone near my bedroom window(about 60 ft from garage) would have heard me snoring away. I set house alarm each night, can't disarm it without it making alot of noise. Woods surround the property, its not good for security.Garage is prime target with alot of tools.
    I understand. I live in an isolated area and am not good at all with the new technical gadgets available. I do have trail cams though and check them often to get a feel for activity around my wooded property. It would take the county probably 30 mins to get here, full throttle with siren blaring if I call for help so I am on my own more or less. Sounds like you're trapped in a very bad situation and like you said, protecting your family is top priority. I wish you good luck and keep the family safe.
    1911srule likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Another useful item for your home, a driveway motion detector, but it can be used anywhere you can place it. I use one at my drive entrance about 100 feet away, lets me know I have company, wanted or not.

Driveway Motion Detector Single-beam System - GEMPLER'S
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    Seriously get some dogs and do some preventative counter measures. Honestly everyone in my neighborhood knows my dogs will chew some ass when it comes to my house and family.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have this setup:

Heath Zenith Wireless Entry Alert Chime

I plugged the chime portion into an outlet in my bedroom, but it can be heard throughout my house. I attached one half of the magnetic sensor to the wall very close to my garage door, with the other half on the actual door. When the garage is opened or closed, I hear a very loud chime each time. If I hear it go off unexpectedly, I will activate the panic button of my car in the garage to hopefully scare the bad guys away. Not really looking to get into a fight unnecessarily.
    JoeK likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links