Uninhabited home protection.

This is a discussion on Uninhabited home protection. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by farronwolf The problem with interior lights on timers is that a lot of the electrical to the wall outlets has been cut ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Uninhabited home protection.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    The problem with interior lights on timers is that a lot of the electrical to the wall outlets has been cut out of the attic. Glad I have know some good electricians and have been friends for 30 years or so.

I don't really want to put any window dressings up just yet, first because we aren't supposed to make any improvements until after the closing and second everything will have to taken back down when I do the complete inside remodel and painting.

We use a local company for our office and current home, they will be used for the new house as well.
    Sheets or table cloths. Use push pins above the window frames to hold them in. Not the greatest looking, but not that bad from outside either. You can find sheets & table cloths pretty cheap for window coverings. You don't need every window covered, but most, and at least some on the second floor. Make them wonder if you are living there.

2. Remove Ads

Some sheets or table cloths on the windows is a good idea.

This house has been vacant since October of last year.

I guess I could take one of the cars and park it there, althought I would worry about vandalism on that which I would have to pay for. I was just out there on Saturday showing it to family that was in from CA and Memphis.

I will have to find a couple of wall outlets that still work and see about the timer thing. I have some extra desk lamps around the house which should provide enough light to be visible.

Thanks for the ideas.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Without electricity...

A pair of well used size 14 work boots next to very large dog bowls by every entrance should help.

Trail camera to see who is coming on the property.
    BkCo1 and ctr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    Trail camera to see who is coming on the property.
    I have thought about that, but all of mine have been stolen from deer camp already. Haven't checked the pricing but they are probably alot cheaper now then they were 5 or 6 years ago.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Last year, I installed fake security cameras on top of my front door. I work from home all day and I hear about breakins in our area. (and this is a nice neighboorhood) About two weeks later, I heard a knock on the door. As I peered down the stairs through my panes in my door, I saw the young man staring at the camera with a bewildered look. Moments later he walked off. As he walked down the block, I could see him looking back occasionally as if to see if someone was coming after him. I got in my truck and drove off to see where he was going so I could contact the Sheriff. In fact, there was another person waiting for him in a parked car. As he made it to the end of the block, I am sure that he ran to the car because there is no way he made it to that car faster than I did in my truck. I was not able to get a license plate because they peeled out and sped off. I know a crime was averted because of that little camera. I even had a truck in the driveway. So after that I:

1. Installed cameras around the house.
    2. Replaced door lock bolts with longer bolts.
    3. Put up door jambs at night.
    4. I now turn on the alarm anytime I am home.
    5. Installed sensor-enabled floodlights in the back.
    6. I now always leave lights on in the porch and driveway.
    7. Put security stickers on each window. (just in case)
    8. Put up beware of dog signs on my fences. (I do have two dogs)
    9. Always have my gun on me or close by when I am at home.

By some, this might be considered going overboard, but I feel more secure.

I like the boots and dog bowls idea...

Of course, there's a problem if you're out in the country... rural kids got nuttin but time... rural bored kids to boot...

Can you move the closing up? The sooner your presence is "felt" the less likely to have these incidents... You could make daily trips to the place...

Also since it's a foreclosure... it could be the evictees... or their kids.... change the locks as soon as you can.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

lock some zombies inside... what a surprise the BG's would have with that.. and legally its not a booby trap.. its a zombie refuge..

(everyone else gave all the simple and good responses)

Big dog.....

Sent from this... Using that...

im not sure what electrical situation you are in but if you can hook a cheap radio up to a timer as well as the lights it would work great.

my neighboor used to leave the TV on all the time for the same reason.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    For now, it's just keeping all my windows/door/safes (hidden too) locked up as well as keeping the timers on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links