Don't tell FB you're leaving the windows open! Reporter ends up dead, Winchester VA

This is a discussion on Don't tell FB you're leaving the windows open! Reporter ends up dead, Winchester VA within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Authorities: Gainesville man "person of interest" in reporter's death | InsideNova Greenhalgh's last post on her Facebook page, about 11 p.m. Sunday night, read: "Going ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Don't tell FB you're leaving the windows open! Reporter ends up dead, Winchester VA

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Don't tell FB you're leaving the windows open! Reporter ends up dead, Winchester VA

Authorities: Gainesville man "person of interest" in reporter's death | InsideNova

Greenhalgh's last post on her Facebook page, about 11 p.m. Sunday night, read: "Going to be sleeping with the windows wide open, now if that...crazy boy would just leave me alone."
    Really? REALLY?!?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

"hello world, I just painted a big bullseye target on my back."

Wow, people just put too much stuff out there on facey-spacey tweetyworld.
    Guest1 likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

It has always amazed me how much faith some put in the ability of the base, criminal end of society to refrain from their criminality due to mere compunction. It's simply asking for trouble to make it widely publicly known the mundane (and not so mundane) aspects of our lives, such as: one's specific schedule for sleeping, heading out of the house, let alone blow-by-blow accounts of timing (as in the case of this victim); the "keys," including birth date, SSN, mother's maiden name, birth places. I can't count the number of times I've seen such stuff posted "out there." Willingness to dip into the mailbox to confirm where one does banking, willingness to verify the FB/web details of a "chatty" person ... doesn't take much.

With how relatively simple it is to put two and two together, these days, it's simply more of willingness not brilliance to figure out a good criminal opportunity. This person's example shows how ugly the risk can be. Sad.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'll never understand why anyone puts anything on facebook or any other of those sites. You post your personal crap out there for the world to see and then get mad at other people sticking thier nose in your business. Duh.

Or posting on FB that you're going to ____ on vacation from x day to x day. You just announced to everyone that your house and stuff will be easy targets. Go figure.
    PatAz and nerdyvirgin like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Social media makes it easy for stalkers. Heck even without them its less than $10 per month to subscribe to get someone elses internet activity! Including getting a list of screen names, email, ect. A stalker could easily use this to gleen info on their target. Why its legal is beyond me. Data mining is becoming big business, protect yourself cuz nobody else will.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'll never understand why anyone puts anything on facebook or any other of those sites. You post your personal crap out there for the world to see and then get mad at other people sticking thier nose in your business. Duh.

Or posting on FB that you're going to ____ on vacation from x day to x day. You just announced to everyone that your house and stuff will be easy targets. Go figure.

^^^^^^I agree^^^^^^^^^^

But to her defense, I'd like to know if she live in a ranch of tywo story home, an apt./condo or what.

If she was sleeping in an upstairs bedroom, and the windows were open but the lower level were shut and locked, the posting on FB, while stupid, would be irrelavent

Sad story just the same, sounded like a loveable person.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Sad story. Locks keep honest people honest. I had to explain to my wife that I could open the front door faster without the key than with it.
    atctimmy, l1a1, skew12 and 1 others like this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Holy crap this is in my backyard and I have many friends in that area thanks for the heads up.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Leave Facebook. Join Commonsensebook. Personal details and world wide broadcast media don't mix. (Subtle tip, DC)
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Dear Facebook -

Just took the last of my Oxycontin, tucked my smoking hot wife to sleep (she was awfully tired after the anti gun rally and swimsuit competition) and plan on counting all this cash before I drift off to sleep. I really need to fix the front door lock, it has never really worked right. All my neighbors on Elm Street (Portland is such a great town!) really seem to be perturbed about the shade of Blue that I painted the shutters. I told them it matched the Corvette in the driveway and they should move if they really have a problem. They do seem to like the new topiary in the front yard. It really does look like a blue spruce Janet Reno. Does anybody know any good alarm companies? My monitoring contract is up and I just had the equipment removed.
    40Bob, mprp, nerdyvirgin and 5 others like this.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Not sure if reality television has made our society unlivable without a degree of voyerism or the sheep truely feel the world is not at all dangerous.

Welcome to the personal information super highway.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

People always ask me why I don't have a DisgraceBook account...

Yeah,and then complain how their "Privacy" is being invaded!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    "hello world, I just painted a big bullseye target on my back."

Wow, people just put too much stuff out there on facey-spacey tweetyworld.

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Dear Facebook -

Just took the last of my Oxycontin, tucked my smoking hot wife to sleep (she was awfully tired after the anti gun rally and swimsuit competition) and plan on counting all this cash before I drift off to sleep. I really need to fix the front door lock, it has never really worked right. All my neighbors on Elm Street (Portland is such a great town!) really seem to be perturbed about the shade of Blue that I painted the shutters. I told them it matched the Corvette in the driveway and they should move if they really have a problem. They do seem to like the new topiary in the front yard. It really does look like a blue spruce Janet Reno. Does anybody know any good alarm companies? My monitoring contract is up and I just had the equipment removed.
    I'll be right there
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links