International Travel Security and Defense

This is a discussion on International Travel Security and Defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just found out I have to travel to China on company business in Aug. Anyone have creative ideas on staying safe (outside of normal OPSEC ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: International Travel Security and Defense

International Travel Security and Defense

Just found out I have to travel to China on company business in Aug. Anyone have creative ideas on staying safe (outside of normal OPSEC measures) in a country where my carry gun and defensive knives will be thousands of miles away?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Remove Ads

Um... prayer?

Honestly, China's probably pretty safe... at least in the business community... I've heard... but don't go out "to have a good time." Stay in hotel complex... and maybe avoid "good times" there, too.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Thanks. Yeah...not going out during business travel is my usual MO anyway. I was hoping to unearth some fancy gadget that I can get in to a carry on that doubles as a key chain and bad guy blaster in one.

Quote Originally Posted by MIfamvalues View Post
    Thanks. Yeah...not going out during business travel is my usual MO anyway. I was hoping to unearth some fancy gadget that I can get in to a carry on that doubles as a key chain and bad guy blaster in one.
    some say kubotans are illegal... you might try a Zebra pen... all SS retractable ball point...

many office supply have 'em.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Distinguished Member
    Ignore the 11:30pm "are you lonely" calls.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    TDI or Canemasters cane. Unbreakable umbrella. Hinderer tactical pen?
    Hakkaa päälle!

Senior Moderator
    I travel to Canada a lot but atleast I can carry a folding knife.

You can make a change purse on a peice of paracord so it can function like a blackjack when filled with change. I've never tried this but have heard people talk about it.

If I had the money (and didn't buy a gun or ammo with the money) I would buy this The Unbreakable Walking-Stick Umbrella now at Amazon
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Double up a pair of dress socks , fill with local coin, secure with rubber band.It will reach out and touch someone...hard if needed...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'm going with a 2 prong approach. 1) LED flashlight with 200 Lumen power and 2) Cold Steel Pocket Shark Pocket Shark

MI,

For most international flights you can check a bag for free. If this is an option for you just toss a knife in the checked bag. I go to Hong Kong on regular occasion and to the mainland sometimes. HK does not have a prohibition against pocket knives and I normally carry a Swiss Army knife and a folder while there. I am not sure what the regs are on the mainland but nobody ever flipped out when I pulled a pocket knife to peel an apple or some such task.

As a general rule, I have always found the Chinese to be very frinedly. Just remember to be polite and it will be returned. Don't drink to excess and keep your wits about you and you should be fine. If you take a taxi have the hotel or your business associates write out the directions to and from where you need to go so you can give this to the driver. But, if you are fluent in Mandarin all the better. It is very common for all the locals to come out at night and walk around the neighborhoods, walk the dogs, and do some shopping. The streets will normally be very busy until about 10:00 or 11:00 PM. thiks is a great time to get out and walk the local area. Probably the biggest problem in China would be pick pockets. I have never encountered any troubles but I hear more about that than violent crime. Make sure nobody gets withing pick pocket distance and you can eliminate that threat. The mass transit will be packed like sardines during rush hour so it takes more care to protect your belongings then.

Probably the best advice I can give you is to make sure you do not drink it unless it is bottled or boiled and do not eat it unless it has been cooked thoroughly.

Enjoy the trip and be sure to try the ckicken feet.

What are the laws about knife carry in China? I've found in traveling back & forth to Central America that's it easier/cheaper just to buy a knife when I get there. Then I gift it away before I get on my return flight. It makes for smooth travel & gains a lot of in-country friends. $25-$30 buys a lot of knife in some locales & folks appreciate a "thank-you" departing gift.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I always carried a cane - mainly because I needed it. One of the best suggestions we received in pre-international travel was don't dress like an American. Americans stand out in a foreign crowd.
    Poseidon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I always carried a cane - mainly because I needed it. One of the best suggestions we received in pre-international travel was don't dress like an American. Americans stand out in a foreign crowd.
    Might not be enough in China...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Carry a Cold Steel "City Slicker" cane! I carried one to Europe and then all over Europe and never had a single question asked. Stay above the 4th floor in hotels, below the 7th or 8th.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I've carried a nylon/glass karambit to Europe during business trips with no problems/questions. It is J-shaped with a large hole for the index finger at the top of the J with the bottom, longer part of the J used for blocks, punching and hammer blow strikes. It has no sharp edges and looks completely innocuous, fits in your pocket and has no "ferrous" signature. Hitting someone with it would easily break bones and deliver really serious hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links