Self Defense for Children Ages 8-12

Self Defense for Children Ages 8-12

This is a discussion on Self Defense for Children Ages 8-12 within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just a few days ago two girls from our area went missing. They are 8 and 10 and their families go to church with a ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By limatunes
  • 1 Post By pgrass101
  • 3 Post By nedrgr21
  • 1 Post By farronwolf

Thread: Self Defense for Children Ages 8-12

  1. #1
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,246

    Self Defense for Children Ages 8-12

    Just a few days ago two girls from our area went missing. They are 8 and 10 and their families go to church with a very good friend of mine. There is speculation that they have been abducted.

    This friend of mine has an 8 year old daughter and she is a marketing director and very connected in the community and this has shaken her pretty badly. She has since contacted me and asked if I could put on a seminar or lecture for that age group and the parents on avoiding and what to do and how to talk to kids and prepare them against abductions. She is going to handle all of the publication and wants it to be a big turn out. Knowing her and her connections, I expect nothing less.

    I have a lot of information that I've compiled and many resources (a few of which I've already contacted) but nothing organized into a presentation yet. This is yet another resource I can go to for further information and assistance.

    Anyone have any tips, information, advice, resources, links, books, videos, etc. that you would recommend for parents or children in this age group? Even if it's just advice on teaching that age group...

    Anything would be great!


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,480
    Lima...

    We live in Iowa... this stuff isn't supposed to happen here... But it has.. .and it will again...

    From what little I've read about the girls... seems they kinda had free rein to go to each others houses and such... And, apparently they also did go swimming at another nearby lake... I'm afraid they'll be found in the lake where the bikes were... but maybe not.

    That said... Children that age should not really be unsupervised by an older sibling at the very least... preferably an adult, frankly.

    As communities, especially church communities, there should be somewhere that kids can go that is safe and enjoyable... Somebody's GOT to step up and watch over the kids. Too many people are unemployed, or marginally employed, and unable to afford even a baby sitter... so the church community has to fill the gap...

    Unfortunately, day care is licensed... and hence, costs$$$...some cannot afford these services. There are no easy solutions... but something co-operative could be done... perhaps on a rotating basis... to care for these kids...

    I guess what I am saying is that we cannot allow the kids (especially at 8 and 10) to roam free.... they have to be watched... in these times, finding the money to do so can be difficult or overwhelming... unfortunately, Hillary was right..."it takes a village" some co-operative effort... to avert these potential tragedies...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  3. #3
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,246
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Lima...

    We live in Iowa... this stuff isn't supposed to happen here... But it has.. .and it will again...

    From what little I've read about the girls... seems they kinda had free rein to go to each others houses and such... And, apparently they also did go swimming at another nearby lake... I'm afraid they'll be found in the lake where the bikes were... but maybe not.

    That said... Children that age should not really be unsupervised by an older sibling at the very least... preferably an adult, frankly.

    As communities, especially church communities, there should be somewhere that kids can go that is safe and enjoyable... Somebody's GOT to step up and watch over the kids. Too many people are unemployed, or marginally employed, and unable to afford even a baby sitter... so the church community has to fill the gap...

    Unfortunately, day care is licensed... and hence, costs$$$...some cannot afford these services. There are no easy solutions... but something co-operative could be done... perhaps on a rotating basis... to care for these kids...

    I guess what I am saying is that we cannot allow the kids (especially at 8 and 10) to roam free.... they have to be watched... in these times, finding the money to do so can be difficult or overwhelming... unfortunately, Hillary was right..."it takes a village" some co-operative effort... to avert these potential tragedies...
    I certainly agree here. That will certainly be addressed.

    Something else with this specific case (and something I will definitely incorporate) is the importance of someone going for help. If it was an abduction then it would be almost impossible for an individual to physically control two children at once if one of them was absolutely determined to get away. My guess is that if it was an abduction the abductor used psychological control over one of them... "Come with me or I hurt her." Understanding that escaping to help is more important is something everyone needs to know... the same goes for drowning as well.

    It's very sad but if you friend, sister, whoever, is drowning and you do not have the skills, training or tools to safely save them then going in after them is only going to end with two bodies to recover vs one.

    Either way, this is not a good situation. I am really wanting to go and volunteer for the search if I can find someone to watch my own children I'm going.

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,480
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    ..
    Something else with this specific case (and something I will definitely incorporate) is the importance of someone going for help. If it was an abduction then it would be almost impossible for an individual to physically control two children at once if one of them was absolutely determined to get away. My guess is that if it was an abduction the abductor used psychological control over one of them... "Come with me or I hurt her." Understanding that escaping to help is more important is something everyone needs to know... the same goes for drowning as well.

    It's very sad but if you friend, sister, whoever, is drowning and you do not have the skills, training or tools to safely save them then going in after them is only going to end with two bodies to recover vs one.

    Either way, this is not a good situation. I am really wanting to go and volunteer for the search if I can find someone to watch my own children I'm going.
    Even those of us who are trained for hazardous entry have a hard time realizing that we can't be going in to rescue a buddy... not without backup... even with all our gear right there... even with all the training... you just can't do it...

    And that would be really hard to get across to a child... and, there's always the chance they wouldn't be able to find their way back to "the spot"... so they MUST mark it somehow...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,482
    To hold the little ones attention use a lot of training aids. Make it fun for them, they seem to remember more if its fun. This is what I do with my 8 and 10 year old....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  6. #6
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,515
    As a parent of two small childern this hits home. I'll have to tell my boys to run, lucky if they are out in the back yard the dog is always with them and he will be much harder to overpower than my boys. Plus he will alert everyone in the neighborhood.

    We have trained the dog to find my boys on command, he;s only tracked them in our house and the park. I probably need to test him in more locations
    limatunes likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,480
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    As a parent of two small childern this hits home. I'll have to tell my boys to run, lucky if they are out in the back yard the dog is always with them and he will be much harder to overpower than my boys. Plus he will alert everyone in the neighborhood.

    We have trained the dog to find my boys on command, he;s only tracked them in our house and the park. I probably mean to test him in more locations
    not to be negative... but how old are your boys... the two girls that disappeared are 8 and 10 years old... what if your boys decide to go on an adventure, and leave the dog behind?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  8. #8
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,515
    3 & 5 and they usually can't leave the dog behind even if they try (not that they would want too they love the dog). He went through the storm door and jumped the fence when they were riding their bikes behind our house.

    I am not saying that the dog is a good defense. I need to train my boys but our 70lb "Ole Yella" dog is a good interm until I can find some effective training for them. My main concern now is to get them to tell me things, becasue most abuse happens by people that the kids know and not strangers.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,480
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    3 & 5 and they usually can't leave the dog behind even if they try (not that they would want too they love the dog). He went through the storm door and jumped the fence when they were riding their bikes behind our house.

    I am not saying that the dog is a good defense. I need to train my boys but our 70lb "Ole Yella" dog is a good interm until I can find some effective training for them. My main concern now is to get them to tell me things, becasue most abuse happens by people that the kids know and not strangers.
    My twin girls were ~3 when they decided to go to the wading pool in the park some 23 years ago... hand in hand they strolled three blocks... almost made it there too.... got lucky, a neighbor called.. they had been out playing on the swing set... when they got that wild hair.... Scared us to death and that was in the good ol' days when you could leave your doors unlocked...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  10. #10
    Distinguished Member
    Array Xader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    My twin girls were ~3 when they decided to go to the wading pool in the park some 23 years ago... hand in hand they strolled three blocks... almost made it there too.... got lucky, a neighbor called.. they had been out playing on the swing set... when they got that wild hair.... Scared us to death and that was in the good ol' days when you could leave your doors unlocked...
    My parents once told me about the time when I was little and I did something similar. Though it was me and the dog, and we went for a walk across the wheat field.

    Back then, 4-legged predators were more common than 2-.

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array nedrgr21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,719
    Stranger danger includes the nice, well dressed man and women and older kids - not just the "scary" looking people. Bite, kick, scream/eyes, groin, shins, top of feet - don't stop fighting.

    Passwords for pickups from school, daycare, etc - no password, don't leave with them including relatives & family friends; scream, kick, bite. Change after each use. Just b/c it was ok last time doesn't mean it's ok this time.

    No adult should ever need a child's help - run and scream right then and there; if help is actually needed, it will come anyway when someone encounters a running screaming kid and finds out why.
    Yankeejib, limatunes and atctimmy like this.

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,817
    Our son (9) has been in Taekwondo for over a year now. Part of his schools cirriculum includes self defense. Against a grown adult even this type of training would not be enough. However our biggest defense is that he is never away from his mother, me or trusted adults we know.

    Along with talking to him about strangers or telling him he is never allowed to go anywhere with anyone unless we say it is ok. I think that is about all you can do as a parent.

    Bad things happen, we can only do so much without locking our kids inside to protect them.

    Hopefully the two girls will be found and in good health. If they were abducted, hopefully the offender will be caught and the full weight of the law is used against them.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  13. #13
    VIP Member Array 10thmtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,126
    Lima - The Center for Missing and Exploited Children likely already has much of what you are looking for.

    www.ncmec.org

    Look under "training."
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

  14. #14
    Member Array diamond78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    18
    I would be very interested in attending. I'm in the DSM area - please post more info (I follow on FB too) once it's available.

  15. #15
    Member Array diamond78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    Self defense for children.......................................... .......=.......................................... ...PARENTS!.
    Except they can't ALWAYS be there. For example - I am a step-mom, we don't have custody but live about a mile away. Found out this week step-daughter and friend went to a movie at a local mall by themselves...they are 11. Nothing I can do about that...so better if she knows some self-defense.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

#1 dog for kids ages 8-12

,

avatar websites that have fighting for kids ages 8-12

,

best self defense for kids 8-12 yrs old

,

easy self defense examples for kids

,

self defense for 8 to 10 year old girls

,

self defense for 8 year old girls

,

self defense for 8 yr boy

,

self defense for children age 10

,

websites for kids ages 8-12 that are related to learning

,

womens self defense age 8 to 10

Click on a term to search for related topics.