In just four seconds

In just four seconds

This is a discussion on In just four seconds within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I learned a whole bunch Saturday, but first some background. I have a CCW and carry when I am out and not at work. I ...

In just four seconds

I learned a whole bunch Saturday, but first some background. I have a CCW and carry when I am out and not at work. I have not been as consistent as I should be. My wife and I are middle age, she is pro gun and has a CCW but her gun stays in her car. She admits that her situational awareness is very lacking. I am watching all the time or at least try to.

We went camping in the Boise national forest over the weekend and my .45, in my cross breed is the first thing to get loaded. Please don't start with the "should have done" stuff, I already know it. My gun is in the truck all day and in my trailer each night. Wife says Saturday about noon, " lets walk across the road and check out the camp sites in the lower half of the camp ground." Ok sure. My gut said bring your gun. So I put on my cross breed but did not conceal it. Idaho is an open carry state and I almost never conceal when in the woods.
    So we are walking through the campground looking at various campsites. We come around a curve in the road and ahead of us is a campsite. The campsite is designed such that the camp trailer and vehicle parked there are between us and the fire pit and picnic table area. I see a large dog lying on the ground on our side of the vehicles and I see a man walk away from us between the trailer and truck and disappear behind them. The fire and table area are below road grade. The dog sees us and stands up and starts growling and moving towards us. I assumed that he was on a leash as campground rules requires dogs on leashes at all times, but when he stood up and I saw no leash, alarms in my head started going off. We were approx 12 feet from the dog and walking down the middle of the road. My wife started talking to the dog and trying to calm him down as soon as she realized he was not on a leash, but she never stopped walking. I saw the dog circle around so that he could be behind us and I stopped walking and turned to face the dog. By then my wife realized she was in danger and turned to seek cover from me. I was two steps behind her. My Kimber had cleared leather and although the safety was still on and my finger was not on the trigger I was at full blown red alert thinking ok, today is that day. I was watching that dog very carefully and was within seconds of shooting. Later the wife said when she turned around to seek protection from me she was shocked that I had drawn and was already in the protective mode. Not quote low ready but gun fully in hand, thumb reaching for the safety. The wife also said the lady from the camp site had come around the end of the car and was hollering at the dog. At the last moment the dogs body language changed and she grabbed the dog and looked up at me and saw my drawn gun. Her eyes were as big as silver dollars. I said "thats a real easy way to get your dog killed" she replied "you are right" and disappeared behind the car, dog in tow. I holstered my gun and we finished our walk.

I think we were both shocked at what almost happened. I thought about it a lot that night. The next day the wife says Wow that happend so fast. We estimated the entire event from start to finish at about 4 seconds. She realized that she could not talk herself out of a dog attach and that I was less than 2 seconds from pulling the trigger on that dog. It was a huge eye opener for both of us. Here are some things I learned. 1. It happend so fast I could not believe it. 2. I was so focused on the dog I did not hear the owner trying to call him off. 3. Concealed carry would have been too slow had I needed to engage. 4. Trust your gut. 5. Use and trust your weapon such that it becomes automatic, ( I did not say to my self ok better draw your gun) It was just there in my hand waiting for the next decision point. 6. Self defense is not always from other people. Please learn from my experience and my perceptions and resist the tempation to be critical. Thanks
    Last edited by Timezoneguy; July 16th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Good that no one or animal was injured. Hopefully everyone learned something.

For future reference, paragraphs make it easier to read.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    No need to be critical.
    Any further conversation with the dog owner?

Glad you're okay...

Aggressive dog... breed?

Why did the guy who was the dog owner... conveniently disappear? This whole scene sounds hinky...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

It is good that you were ready to protect yourself and your wife. I think if everybody was OK in the end, then you did well.

Did you call the police to report any of this?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

Why did the guy who was the dog owner... conveniently disappear? This whole scene sounds hinky...
    At a group campsite? Probably to take a leak or get a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    At a group campsite? Probably to take a leak or get a beer.
    Between the trailer... Many have heads... and truck... Why would the owner of an even somewhat aggressive dog walk away from his dog if it was not on a lead?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

It's hard when an unleashed animal becomes immediately aggressive. It's harder still when the animal is encountered on a narrow roadway or path where there's no place else to go but through the "dog's" territory.

Oops, on the whole approaching the dog bit, but otherwise there wasn't much else y'all could do since the dog went into warning mode immediately upon sight.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well the man we saw walking away never got out of his chair or made a sound. It was a woman that responded to the dog. I expected some reaction, good or bad. Just nothing. The dog looked to be maybe part German shepard and Black lab, I like dogs but this one looked like a mix.

I know local law enforcement personally. I will mention this but I bet the reaction will be, "I would have shot the dog, surprised you did not". Boise County, regarding personal rights and guns is what this nation was 100 years ago.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Distinguished Member
    Glad you guys are ok. I think it was a good eye opener for ALWAYS carry.

That being said, you may have had other options dealing with just a growling, maybe following dog. Your body language and how you react to thier threatening has alot to do with how they proceed.

I'll never forget my sister and I riding bikes with my uncle when we were pretty young. We were cutting through a neighborhood to get to some trails. Out of nowhere this big dog comes chasing in full charge, barking like crazy and just plain terrorizing me and my sister. My uncle was in back and waited for the dog to get within about ten feet . . . then . . in the biggest, deepest, loudest barley speaking voice he yells out "GET ON OUTTA HERE! NOW RA RAA RAAA!!!" Dog stops with a full stop and trots off in the other direction. I will never forget it. All he did was show who was the bigger dog.

But everything turned out well for you, thats all that really matters. Plus you'll prob carry more.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Links