Game cameras

This is a discussion on Game cameras within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The recent post on game cameras has me thinking.... I have a new outbuilding for tool and equipment storage that I was considering outfitting with ...

Thread: Game cameras

Game cameras

The recent post on game cameras has me thinking....

I have a new outbuilding for tool and equipment storage that I was considering outfitting with an eye. I'm looking at game cameras. Any recommendations? Night shots would be a must. I see they go for $60 to $360. I don't want crap, but I need something decent. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have a TASCO that cost about 75 bucks, works pretty well for us. We get a lot of deer photos on it.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Primos® TRUTH Cam BLACKOUT™ 7.0/5.0 Megapixel Digital Trail Camera | Bass Pro Shops

This one works very well, currently have 2 in service, no visible flash, images are very good.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Primos Truth cams are good I have a couple of the 3.5 models and can't complain one bit

I considered using one for our property. My concern is this, where to conceal it so it won't be detected and either smashed or stolen. Wish they were smaller and less "box" like in shape. I want one that does'nt glow red or flash either. One that can send images to my computer so that even if lost or damaged it would have served its purpose. Video needs to be good enough to get a good ID that can be used to prosecute. Maybe also be able to leave a laptop on with constant feed covering our area of concern. In this case my garage.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Don't go cheap on a camera. Get one with IR flash, and one that runs on rechargeable batteries - if not, you'll go broke replacing batteries. There are a lot of reasonably priced, smaller units out there, just avoid the junk you get at WalMart (Wildgame). I use Moultre and Bushnell. Both have their pros and cons. Recycle time is an important consideration (time between flashes). Last year we set one up on our deer cabin and finally was able to catch the guy that was stealing items from our camp - it was the nice hunter across the road from us. I've got one mounted on a tree overlooking a bird bath about a foot away - unbelievable candid pictures of birds having a blast!

Dont bother with the <$75 cameras... you will be wasting your time. Ive had numerous different game cameras over the past 10 years.
    Check out a Moultrie M80 ...the black flash model for around $170 online.....standard IR flash M80 runs about $130.
    The black flash model is easier to conceal and the IR array lens is black and not clear and shiny like the standard model.

It takes 8AA batteries and with a 4MP sd card it will take 4-5000 pictures and last 6 months time before they need replaced.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    might want to consider a surveillance system, bought a 4 camera system from woot.com for less than 200 with a small light on your building works exception records to a hard drive, easy to install, and can be viewed via your android or apple phone... (bonus can also be upgraded to alarm type system)
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    The recent post on game cameras has me thinking....

I have a new outbuilding for tool and equipment storage that I was considering outfitting with an eye. I'm looking at game cameras. Any recommendations? Night shots would be a must. I see they go for $60 to $360. I don't want crap, but I need something decent. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    The price of cameras varies from brand as well as quality you want, so i suggest you to go on some online marketing sites and then short price by quality and brand so that you can find exact matching.

Links