Big Surprise While Riding ATVs Yesterday - Page 2

Big Surprise While Riding ATVs Yesterday

This is a discussion on Big Surprise While Riding ATVs Yesterday within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by RevolvingMag A .40 would make a difference... From 'Angry Bear' to 'I'm gonna kill EVERYONE Bear'. Unless you somehow managed to get ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Big Surprise While Riding ATVs Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    A .40 would make a difference... From 'Angry Bear' to 'I'm gonna kill EVERYONE Bear'.

Unless you somehow managed to get a full magazine or two in him. Then he might stop. Or at least slow down. Some.
    Before you could get off 5 shots, he would have you on the ground chewing your face. Best to let him mosey off without peeving him off. I've come within 20 yards of them. Don't do anything stupid and black bears will go on their way...as long as it isn't a mother with cubs.
    Rock and Glock and ZX9RCAM like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Scott County Arkansas..............
    John Luttrell

eli
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    A .40 would make a difference... From 'Angry Bear' to 'I'm gonna kill EVERYONE Bear'.

Unless you somehow managed to get a full magazine or two in him. Then he might stop. Or at least slow down. Some.
    Clearly avoidance is the best idea but it's not always possible. A 12 gage with a slug or high powered rife in the hands of a good friend is also preferred too but that's not always possible either. What's your opinion of a .44 mag or .45 Colt loaded close to one?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry but you lost me when you said you couldn't resist the urge to terrorize a dumb animal. Ever consider that what you did for fun might actually make the bear more aggressive the next time it encounters a human?

Michael

In the future where legal I would have a shotty in an ATV gun rack loaded with 00 buck and slugs,unlike hiking where u have transportation it would be a wise thing to do
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I'm sorry but you lost me when you said you couldn't resist the urge to terrorize a dumb animal. Ever consider that what you did for fun might actually make the bear more aggressive the next time it encounters a human?

Michael
    Nope, don't work that way, everybody wins when the bears fear humans.
    John Luttrell

VIP Member
    The indians had a saying about playing with bears. It would translate into DC speak, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Chasing bears for fun will get someone killed eventually.
    BugDude and DefConGun like this.

IMO a .40 will do nothing but flip the blender switch from off to "frappe." Even with that crowd of people, methinks you're lucky it wasn't a female with a cub. I don't think they really care what their odds are, their cub is going to live. But that's all for a thread that didn't work out so well. Glad you weren't alone and it all worked out ok and you're able to type with your fingers instead of speech to type software.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Before you could get off 5 shots, he would have you on the ground chewing your face. Best to let him mosey off without peeving him off. I've come within 20 yards of them. Don't do anything stupid and black bears will go on their way...as long as it isn't a mother with cubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    Clearly avoidance is the best idea but it's not always possible. A 12 gage with a slug or high powered rife in the hands of a good friend is also preferred too but that's not always possible either. What's your opinion of a .44 mag or .45 Colt loaded close to one?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    My vote is retreat. With haste. Lots and lots of haste- especially if she has cubs. I don't have any one-on-one experience with bears, so don't take what I say as 'the answer'- but getting away seems the best plan unless you're packing .44 mag or bigger/badder. -.454, .50, .500, etc.

Your 'average' SD handgun round WILL NOT stop something that large and angry. Best to just get away.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Messing with a bear is about as smart as using a wasp nest for a soccer ball.

My uncle owns a lot of land in the mountains of Virginia and he trains dogs to tree bears. He has a barrel up on the hill that he puts glazed donuts in and the lid has a radio transmitter disconnect on it. Bear removes lid, transponder goes off in his house and he "releases the hounds." He gets ready and follows the bark. Once they get the bear up a tree, he takes pictures of it. He doesn't carry a firearm on these excursions. He has lost a lot of dogs over the years. I've also told him he's an idiot. Never phases him.

You should look for signs of bear activity on the trail when you are riding. Do you know how to recognize bear scat? It consists mostly of round dark brown balls with little bits of berries and rodent fur and also has a Taurus PT840 laying in it.
    hahaha!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'd say you're probably right. Bears are fast and cover a lot of ground with little time. I watched a YouTube video where these guys were watching a bear from a distance and it was amazing at how much ground that bear covered when he decided he wanted to, etc. Take into the account you're going to be nervous when he's charging you and you have the elements that do not equal to a good recipe.

Besides being much faster than people give them credit for, a bear's claws are like razor knives, and their jaws can crack a human skull like it was a walnut. If you are lucky enough to avoid either of those perils by making yourself small in a fetal position, they will just pounce up and down on you with 400 pounds of pure force like a kid stomping a bug. They are to be respected and not messed with. Don't poke the bear with a stick...figuratively or literally.
    DefConGun likes this.

While I hate people harassing an animal by chasing it with an ATV. In this case, it may condition that bear to flee at the sound of one in the future. This may be the case with a black bear, but I would'nt use the same practice with a grizzly. Totally different behaviors.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Bears are harassed all the time. I've heard the bears in Glacier are hit with bean bags from a 12 ga to get them away from the highways. This practice is discouraged in Yellowstone, but many other Nat'l Parks employ the same method on Black Bears to condition them to fear people. I'm in favor of employing any method that doesn't permanently disable a bear should be used to condition them to stay away from areas where there are people. That's why if enough people use bear spray, the bears will begin to associate people with bear spray....and that's a good thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links