Big Surprise While Riding ATVs Yesterday

This is a discussion on Big Surprise While Riding ATVs Yesterday within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Several of us went riding on the mountain behind the house yesterday afternoon and we had a bear encounter. I was riding lead and we ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Big Surprise While Riding ATVs Yesterday

Several of us went riding on the mountain behind the house yesterday afternoon and we had a bear encounter. I was riding lead and we were doing maybe 15 MPH as we came around a curve in the trail and found about 400lbs of black bear in the middle of the trail; the bear was as surprised as I was as we both slid to a stop. The bear stood on his hind legs for a second until the rest of the guys came around the curve and slid to a stop behind me, at which time the bear turned and ran away from us down the trail. Of course we couldn't resist chasing the bear down the trail on our atvs until he finally turned and ran off down the mountain.

I was sure glad to see the bear lose his nerve when the rest of the guys pulled up, because it was kind of a stand off for a few seconds; I never really felt threatened, but that is the first time I've ever had a bear stand it's ground with me for any length of time; they usually run away as soon as they see you. I had my .40 on my hip, but I never really felt threatened enough to even consider using it. As far as shooting a black bear with a .40 goes, I feel pretty confident that the Taurus PT 840 I carry while in the wild would do the trick, but I sure hope I never have to find out; it holds 15 rounds with one in the pipe.
    John Luttrell

If it had attacked, gun or not I'd have driven away. But it didn't come to that, so whatever.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    If it had attacked, gun or not I'd have driven away. But it didn't come to that, so whatever.
    Stupid to chase the bear, and naive to think that a .40 is going to do much beyond make noise
    BkCo1, WHEC724, Chevy-SS and 6 others like this.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Stupid to chase the bear, and naive to think that a .40 is going to do much beyond make noise
    I would agree if it was a 1-on-1 encounter. But since there were several other riders and the bear ran first, I might have done the same thing. Now, that particular bear is more likely to associate the sound of an ATV with something that is not afraid to chase him. When he hears an ATV in the future, he's more likely to give a wide berth.

On the flip side, many states have laws against harassing wildlife or chasing it with motorized vehicles. When telling this story in the future, you might use the word "followed" instead of "chased".
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    I would agree if it was a 1-on-1 encounter. But since there were several other riders and the bear ran first, I might have done the same thing. Now, that particular bear is more likely to associate the sound of an ATV with something that is not afraid to chase him. When he hears an ATV in the future, he's more likely to give a wide berth.

On the flip side, many states have laws against harassing wildlife or chasing it with motorized vehicles. When telling this story in the future, you might use the word "followed" instead of "chased".
    We chased the bear to scare it and like you said, hopefully it will associate atvs from here on out as something to be avoided. A lot of game and fish officers will shoot them with rubber bullets and turn dogs loose on them when they release a nuisance bear they had to relocate; again, to make the bear associate people with a bad experience. As far as stopping a black bear with a .40 goes, just a few months ago a black bear was killed by a home owner protecting his children with one shot from a .22LR; definitely not the weapon of choice, but it shatters the myth of Black Bears being unstoppable with a small caliber weapon. Granted, Black bears and Grizzlies are apples and oranges and all bets are off on a grizzly.

http://www.lohud.com/article/2012070...nclick_check=1
    John Luttrell

A .22 long rifle has killed elephants but it would not be my chose for anyting larger than a canine.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Senior Moderator
    Where did that happen at John?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You should look for signs of bear activity on the trail when you are riding. Do you know how to recognize bear scat? It consists mostly of round dark brown balls with little bits of berries and rodent fur and also has a Taurus PT840 laying in it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    You should look for signs of bear activity on the trail when you are riding. Do you know how to recognize bear scat? It consists mostly of round dark brown balls with little bits of berries and rodent fur and also has a Taurus PT840 laying in it.
    ...with a round stovepiped!
    BugDude likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I don't think it was a good idea to chase the bear. You can't always predict how a wild animal is going to react. Sometimes leaving well enough alone is good enough.
    ctr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ...with a round stovepiped!
    there are also little bells mixed in with the scat. Smells a bit like pepper too....
    BugDude, JoeK and ZX9RCAM like this.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Where did that happen at John?
    Just south of Waldron in Scott County, is where we ran into the bear. The bear that was shot and killed with a .22 was in New York State I believe.
    John Luttrell

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    A .40 would make a difference... From 'Angry Bear' to 'I'm gonna kill EVERYONE Bear'.

Unless you somehow managed to get a full magazine or two in him. Then he might stop. Or at least slow down. Some.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    Just south of Waldron in Scott County, is where we ran into the bear. The bear that was shot and killed with a .22 was in New York State I believe.
    Scott county Tennessee?

We got lots of bears, when they come around just yell at 'em as if it were a dog. Constantly in our garbage. When we camp ,they'll check out our campsite after lights out. Easy to tell when that over powering garbage smell hits your nose. Not fearful of them, but have a healthy respect backed up with a 12 ga with rifled slugs...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links