While Running - Page 2

While Running

This is a discussion on While Running within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I walk at night and have encountered the same problem before. Some folks think its funny or it could be that they think the roads ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: While Running

I walk at night and have encountered the same problem before. Some folks think its funny or it could be that they think the roads are strictly for motor vehicles. He could be playing with you as you say. The trouble is that he is using a deadly weapon to do it. If he were firing a handgun into the dirt at your feet to make you dance would you say he's just playing?
    No difference in my mind.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I walk at night and have encountered the same problem before. Some folks think its funny or it could be that they think the roads are strictly for motor vehicles. He could be playing with you as you say. The trouble is that he is using a deadly weapon to do it. If he were firing a handgun into the dirt at your feet to make you dance would you say he's just playing?
    No difference in my mind.

Michael
    Agreed. Working on helmet cam. A little proof and a visit by LE might make him/her think twice.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    What would you do?
    Get plate number and call 911...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Video proves actions. It may not happen again but if it does and you have a video clip of him doing this and have his plate #, call the cops and tell them that you would like to press charges. I'm sure they can get him for assault with a deadly weapon. And so you don't look obvious that you're video tapeing him thus making him behave, check this out... Imging HD Video Sunglasses My brother has a pair similar to these and they take great video.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Video proves actions. It may not happen again but if it does and you have a video clip of him doing this and have his plate #, call the cops and tell them that you would like to press charges. I'm sure they can get him for assault with a deadly weapon. And so you don't look obvious that you're video tapeing him thus making him behave, check this out... Imging HD Video Sunglasses My brother has a pair similar to these and they take great video.
    First of all I would not care what made him behave as long as he is behaving. JMO. Anyways, For the LE folks out there. What can you do with one picture or video of a truck (I am assuming he is still on a the road, just at the very edge according to the OP) that has caused a runner to go into a ditch? I do not think that is enough to charge them with assualt...I would like to LOL. But seriously, what would the LE's course of actions in this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    First of all I would not care what made him behave as long as he is behaving. JMO. Anyways, For the LE folks out there. What can you do with one picture or video of a truck (I am assuming he is still on a the road, just at the very edge according to the OP) that has caused a runner to go into a ditch? I do not think that is enough to charge them with assualt...I would like to LOL. But seriously, what would the LE's course of actions in this situation?
    I would bet that if the person was apprehended he would just tell police that he did not see the jogger. It would then be dropped. Now if you had multiple videos with different dates showing a pattern of aggressive behavior, that might work in your favor.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; July 25th, 2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: I made an Oopsie
    suntzu likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    He/she is probably sending text messages, not aiming for you - just doing that every 200 feet or so catching up on last night's activities and posting on Facebook.

Feel safer?

I would try talking to the police. (when they're not busy hittin' on the 7-11 girls) Explain the situation and the area where this happens. Maybe a unmarked car can witness something.
    Build your own! http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/

Jetico.......BC Wipe

This is coming from another runner who gets his time in early just like you do. In all honesty nobody is going to consider two lane blacktop pedestrian territory, especially when it is still dark out. If you aren't wearing reflective gear and a light, you are really asking to get hit more than you probably think. I run with a head lamp on the same kind of road (no shoulder just a fog line) and I always step aside for oncoming traffic and wave as the vehicle passes. Over time most of the drivers get used to me and our routine and steer wide. I give them a thumbs up every time that they do. It usually takes a while but I find that I have had better luck just wearing them down with kindness.

I have only had one situation that was trouble. A guy in a pick-up who liked to buzz me too. I even tried moving my runs up a little earlier to avoid him, but I still had this guy buzzing me, just a little farther along my route. After a while, I just kept moving my runs up earlier until I finally was able to catch the guy turning onto the road coming out of a neighborhood. I'm always looking for something to pass the time while running anyway so I started to loop in and cover the area where he turned from. It only took a couple of weekend runs through the cross streets in his area to find the guy's frikkin driveway. After that whenever I could on weekends I would run a loop that kept taking me by his house. When I caught him outside or in the yard I would wave. A couple of times I would wave and say hello. One Saturday morning I guess he couldn't stand it any more because when I waved as he was picking up his paper he said, "Do I know you?"

I said, "Well sure man. We pass each other just about every morning out on the two lane anyway. I figured it was high time to come by the house and say hello."

The guy laughed for a second, but then got this kind of funny look on his face.

After that, he didn't buzz me any more. Maybe it was because we were more like neighbors passing each other each day after that. I honestly would like to think that. Or maybe it gets a lot different when that guy who gets his jollies by buzzing you so anonymously each morning realizes that you already know where he lives.

Be safe.

Sounds like we run on the same road. I get plenty of room and respect from everyone and everyone gets the same "thank you" wave for giving me a little space. I am watching and taking different routes in my truck trying to find where he lives. I'm hoping that no action on my part might drive him to boredom. If not I think I'll go with a couple of camera flashes as he passes by. Worst case I'll try video. He's not being "overly" agressive but it is a little unnerving. Like an earlier post said.....It's my word against his/hers.

Quote Originally Posted by abillb View Post
    I would try talking to the police. (when they're not busy hittin' on the 7-11 girls) Explain the situation and the area where this happens. Maybe a unmarked car can witness something.
    They really might enjoy a little trap like that. Good idea. And plenty of places to watch his lights from. I need to pattern him a little more though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    They really might enjoy a little trap like that. Good idea. And plenty of places to watch his lights from. I need to pattern him a little more though.
    Polish up your "pasture" shoes, then ... 'cause you're gonna need 'em.

Good luck, as you document the guy's behavior. He'll not like what he's about to face, when he's acknowledged by his community as threatening lives with two-ton vehicles, stupidity and misplaced aggression.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    That would be nice if I didn't have to hold up a camera for someone to behave, when each time they're not, they are endangering my life. I would't play around with this guy. Get proof, get the authorities and get him busted IF it's a legitimate attempt to play with a vehicle and endanger your life. Freaking idiot needs some jail time if you ask me.

And here's what LE can do if you don't have proof....nothing. Nothing at all unless you're ran over and even at that you'll have to prove it was on purpose for it to be considered criminal and not just an accident. (if you live) Same story if you decide to throw something at the truck or anything that would make him pull over and confront you. What do you think his story is going to be?

Unless you have some kind of evidence or LE has witnessed the act, there's nothing they will or can do about it. Doesn't sound like you advantaged with any other witnesses either. (?) They may admonish the offender but otherwise their hands are tied without proof. And a simple picture isn't going to cut it as proof IMO. IANAL nor a LEO but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Now after all of that has been said, if possible, the best thing to do is to avoid the whole routing that puts you in that position. Maybe you do want to change your time or place? I don't know, it's your deal. But just some thoughts from someone who has dealt with similar people before and lived to tell about it.

Waiting on the flame.... LOL
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Thanks mprp. I was aprehensive about what actions to take but after much thought and these fine replys.....I know his lights, he's not being real agressive just toying with me (I think), I have plenty of room to move, my wife knows his description and my reports to her. I'm not going to change my route just yet, I'm going to give him/her a chance to bet bored with it. I'll just keep giving him the "thanks guy" wave for now.

Donnie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links