While Running

While Running

This is a discussion on While Running within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I run on a 2 lane rural street each morning. It's fairly dark still at 5:50 AM. I run as taught; facing traffic. I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: While Running

While Running

I run on a 2 lane rural street each morning. It's fairly dark still at 5:50 AM. I run as taught; facing traffic. I have one idiot that intentionally moves to the very edge of the road pushing me into the ditch. I know what his truck looks like but have not found where he lives. I don't carry right now (no permit yet) but I do have OC spray and a knife just in case. I don't know what to do other than continue into the grass, try to take a picture of his tag and go to LE or find someplace else to run. I don't want to look like the agressor by throwing something but I really want to. But all I need is some jackass stepping out of his truck with a 12Ga and me helpless. What would you do?

Donnie

Jog with a brick!

Do you happen to know the guy?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Do not know him. Been running same road for a while and this just started. Really, really, really want to jog with a brick but know better. I throw a brick; he throws lead. You never know these days.

record his license plate # and call the cops.

Even if you are carrying a gun your response should be no different.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Yeah, gun shouldn't make a difference unless he tries to do something stupid with a weapon himself. Is it possible to just run a different route?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    I run on a 2 lane rural street each morning. It's fairly dark still at 5:50 AM.
    A good ~400+ lumens flashlight could help ensure you're seen, and it could provide a quickly-deployed basic defense against a deliberately-aimed onrushing vehicle (in the dark). Of course, that'll likely be taken as an escalation of sorts by the one assaulting you with the car. Far safer (and far more justifiable, if pressed) would be to vary the schedule, vary the route, ensure you have optimal opportunity to nail down the license/description of the vehicle and driver. Perhaps consider taking along a small digital camera that might get it "on film."

As others have suggested, I'd refrain from throwing anything at the idiot. Your life is being toyed with, if not yet outright threatened (as it's 99% likely you'll jump out of the way). But you're definitely being threatened. Consider a flashlight. Consider a small firearm in case worse comes to worst.

Good luck catching the guy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"Is it possible to just run a different route?"

Possible? Yes. Should I have to? No. Should I? Probably. I'm hoping maybe he will get bored with it. I've done nothing to provoke it and am perfectly capable of defending myself should he stop and NOT have a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A good ~400+ lumens flashlight could help ensure you're seen, and it could provide a quickly-deployed basic defense against a deliberately-aimed onrushing vehicle (in the dark). Of course, that'll likely be taken as an escalation of sorts by the one assaulting you with the car. Far safer (and far more justifiable, if pressed) would be to vary the schedule, vary the route, ensure you have optimal opportunity to nail down the license/description of the vehicle and driver. Perhaps consider taking along a small digital camera that might get it "on film."

As others have suggested, I'd refrain from throwing anything at the idiot. Your life is being toyed with, if not yet outright threatened (as it's 99% likely you'll jump out of the way). But you're definitely being threatened. Consider a flashlight. Consider a small firearm in case worse comes to worst.

Good luck catching the guy.
    Thanks. I have a nice light with a strobe but it is BLINDING and again don't want to escalate the issue. Maybe he will just quit whe he see's that he's not really bothering me. If it persists I will get a pic of his tag and possibly video and take it to LE.

Get or borrow a helmet cam and document the attack then get the license number and go to your local LE. Contour makes one that will attach to a baseball cap and takes great video. If thats not possible I'd try a phone video.

I'm assuming he's just being a nuisance and toying with me. I've at least got a good description of his truck and we live in a fairly small town. I bet the flash of a camera at his tag might just get his (guess it could be her) attention. Thanks for the replys.

Donnie

I'm assuming he's just being a dick and toying with me.
    Being a jerk with a 3500 pound bludgeon is something your community's law enforcement types are going to take fairly seriously, methinks. Hopefully this guy can be made to feel the heat, a bit, in that regard. Good luck. Stay safe. Always have an "out."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Might want to look at the rules on language,before you get a prize in your inbox!
    I'm assuming he's just being a dick and toying with me. I've at least got a good description of his truck and we live in a fairly small town. I bet the flash of a camera at his tag might just get his (guess it could be her) attention. Thanks for the replys.

Donnie

Since my move to Texas my long runs now include city streets for a couple of miles. I hate it. The other day a lady wasn't looking and was pulling out into traffic and nearly hit me. I stopped quickly with my hands in the air and in my right hand I had a water bottle with a carb mixture I make for myself. It squirted all over her passenger side window. She stopped an yelled at me for that! Funny thing it was an accident. Bet she had to go to a gas station to clean her window.

As far as the op's problem....take pics if you can...is the sun out at that time? Now, don't jump all over me for this idea but ever though about stand your ground? I am NOT advocating it but a few years ago I had a similiar problem and finally I stood my ground figuring the idiot would not actually hit me. He ended up not bugging me anymore.
    I am assuming he can see you (reflective vest, tape..)

One thing I do when I run on any road is I purposely run a few feet from the edge of the road, when I see vehicles approach I stick my right hand out (like waving hello). This gives the driver plenty of time to see me and so I am not a nusiace on the road I then start moving over. Gives everybody plenty of time to react.

It's still dark but getting light. He can see me without a problem. I wear white (not reflective). I actually thought about a balloon filled with syurp or maybe an egg. Stand my ground? I would but like I said....I don't want him to have the only gun and I'm afraid it might turn into a daily game of chicken. I should have my permit any day. I would at least like the opportunity to be equal if necessary. I doubt he/she is armed but how's one to know. It's basically cow pasture a mile either way so no where to dash off to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links