Deputies Raid wrong House: How would Defensive carry respond?

This is a discussion on Deputies Raid wrong House: How would Defensive carry respond? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ComplexKaos Read the article and definitely watch the video. Deputies burst into wrong home looking for suspect - exclusive | abc7.com I ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Deputies Raid wrong House: How would Defensive carry respond?

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    Read the article and definitely watch the video.

Deputies burst into wrong home looking for suspect - exclusive | abc7.com

I take it that the Department didn't do their homework before hand, because they raided the house and the suspect has not lived there in two months. The guy was charged with resisting arrest, I'm sure it won't hold up.

I may not survive but I would have opened up until I heard Sheriffs Department, you can't blame a home owner for protecting his home.
    As soon as they identified themselves I would cooperated fully. The misidentification would have come out pretty quickly and I would put in the paperwork for damages and file a lawsuit with the intent to settle.

2. Remove Ads

After a rough day defending all of the sheeps at the local mega mall, I usually head home to unwind. After finishing off the leftover donuts from the morning (there aren't usually leftovers, but in my line of work you have to be ready to move at a moments notice). I usually slip into a set of 5.11 tactical footy pajamas and wait for the pizza delivery guy. Even when relaxing you have to be ready to respond so that's why I carry a .50 AE Desert Eagle in a smart carry along with a slung Remington 870 set up for less than lethal engagements. Needless to say, any SWAT team tries to gain entry to my house and they are in for a surprise.

After being subdued by yours truly, those SWAT guys would have asked me what happened, where I came from and could I please cut the heavy duty tactical zip ties that bind them. After much admiration and pats on the back I would politlely refuse there many attempts to get me to sign on with them and teach them the way of the ninja.
    DrahtDog, mlr1m, oldnfat and 1 others like this.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

I am no fan of the militerization of the police. I believe it can only lead to a police society that will always be at odds with the general society, and removes control of the police from who they work for. The people. I think this is the greates threat today to our civil society. Were becoming communities with police for the sake of police. And Officer safety trumping constitutionally protected rights..... But not this time... This was probably some good police work.
    I just retired from 10 years as a sworn Police Chaplain. I spent a lot of time on police ethics because without ethics, police are no better than criminals. I agree 1000% with the first sentence. Police departments across the country are drifting more and more to this concept of a quasi-military force. Police officers are not the military. They have a purpose that is diametrically opposite of the military. The purpose of SWAT is not to make it easier to TAKE lives, but to make it easier to SAVE lives. Yet many departments encourage the uber-macho tactics and attitudes that invalidate their reason for existence.

Every life is important: officer, actor, and bystander. Military bearing does not convey to the public that the police are a civilian, life-protecting organization. Police departments risk losing the respect and cooperation of the communities they serve with greater reliance on military style dress and operations. I submit that officer safety is vital. However, if officer safety trumps everything else, then perhaps the officer should have chosen another line of work. Sorry this is off thread.

Was this good police work? Not in my opinion. Intelligence means just that. Bad intelligence has cost far more lives than anyone will ever admit. The heart of a no-knock warrant is intelligence. If time is of such importance in securing an actor that intelligence is not needed, then IMHO, the judge should never sign. But more than that, police supervisors should never allow the warrant to be sought.

Their actions in executing the warrant with what turned out to be faulty intelligence and resulting in the tasing of a non-actor, could have ended tragically. That no one was killed or critically injured is testimony that God still watches over the foolish. I would hope that any department conducting a raid that turned out like this one would be quick to offer apologies. That they sought to avoid any sense of propriety by filing bogus charges is clear evidence of a failing that begins at the very top levels of leadership.

What would I do in such a case? I'm not sure. I'm sickened every time I hear of these kinds of incidents.
    oneshot and Secret Spuk like this.

It's a result of poor follow up work by the detective in charge of the case. Many hours of boring waiting and watching is what they get paid for. The information they provided was out of date and no one bother to check the expiration date on the milk.
    I am sitting in my recliner reading posts and watching tv. My 9mm is sitting about two feet from me cocked and locked. I have one headphone in my ear listening to the scanner for any neighborhood mayhem. There was an H.I. a few blocks over a month back and a lady got mugged Saturday night at Wallyworld right down the street.
    It would have been ugly here because the first thing they would have seen is me rising to my feet with my pistol in my hand.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I'd treat it like a home invasion unless otherwise since lots of criminals love to pose as law enforcement. Once you find out, then it's too late. Let that be known to any law enforcement to make sure they are going to the correct address. Otherwise, it's a mishap and lawsuit waiting to happen.

VIP Member
    I hope I would show some self-restraint when all those pretty red dots began dancing around my chest, and wait until after the fact to launch my righteous indignation routine.
    oneshot and Secret Spuk like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I hope I would show some self-restraint when all those pretty red dots began dancing around my chest, and wait until after the fact to launch my righteous indignation routine.
    And if you honestly believed that the persons behind those red dots were bad guys who mean to do you harm you would not fight back?

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    To justify the use of the taser.
    Bingo. Over charging to intimidate the innocent. They are trying to mitigate the consequences of a lawsuit for their irresponsible actions by making it look like the guy is guilty of something to justify their actions.

It's a form of police corruption and blackmail so routinely practiced it is hardly worth mentioning unless of course you believe the "Serve and Protect" myth which might make you the only one on the planet that does.

The most pathetic oxymoron, "Department of Justice".

Fitch
    mcgyver210 and JayTee like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    And if you honestly believed that the persons behind those red dots were bad guys who mean to do you harm you would not fight back?

Michael
    Lots of red dots would probably dispel any honest belief in bad guys.
    oneshot likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    I'd treat it like a home invasion unless otherwise since lots of criminals love to pose as law enforcement. Once you find out, then it's too late. Let that be known to any law enforcement to make sure they are going to the correct address. Otherwise, it's a mishap and lawsuit waiting to happen.
    If a homeowner, who is not committing any illegal acts, should not be held responsible for harm done to any intruders regardless of their reason for breaking in. Most here believe that if a drunk neighbor mistakenly tries to break into your home in the middle of the night that you would be justified in protecting yourself. The fact he mistakenly was trying to get in the wrong home to go to sleep does not take away your right to self defense.
    Why then should the fact that it is a government worker who is mistakenly trying to break in to the wrong house mean you do not have a right to defend your home, if you believe that those breaking in are bad guys intending to do you harm?

Michael

Well this is terrible. Unfortunately, this would have ended with me dead likely, and some of the raiders injured. Hopefully they would not have continued their attack on my family after killing me.

I dont think our police dept has a swat team. I think they just prefer to do the good ol standoff. If they raided during the day, i already saw them and went outside to meet them, at night...the dog already alerted me and that would be a very stupid move on their part. If my kids were hurt by their actions...get my point?

These morons need to think it out. There might have been children involved. Cops hit the wrong house, hurt their father, charge him to cover it up...kid grows up kills cop during traffic stop...no good for you LEOs. Leave the military tactics to the military.

As far as I know correct me if I'm wrong law enforcement agencies have manipulated and changed the laws to the point that if you do not do exactly what they say immediately under any circumstance and at any location even your own house that you can be charge for resisting, resisting arrest, interfering, pretty much anything they want, even if you are 100% innocent , one cop told me that it doesn't make any difference what they are doing and that they can be 100% wrong in what they are doing, but regardless you still have to obey them 100% if you do not you are breaking the law, and then you can take it to court to prove you were innocent, which will cost you how much money, you have already paid for their attorney in your taxes

Go to injusticeeverywhere.com and read it for a few days, you will never look at any cop the same again.

Distinguished Member
    Secret Spuk, get real! If this was a controlled entry, what is a dynamic entry? Come in with guns blazing and kill every living thing ? There is no excuse for this. Ever heard of the fire dept. getting the wrong house? The blame doesn't rest completely on those who made the entry to the home, this was a planned event, many people were involved. Mistakes started at the top and went all the way to the entry team. No excuse for this. All involved should charged and brought to trial. I hope the people sue everybody involved and get 100 million dollars. An award like that would stop this crap from happening again, and if you consider this is "good police work" I hope your house is next. Then let us know your opinion.
    Last edited by oldnfat; August 25th, 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: grammatical error

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links