Deputies Raid wrong House: How would Defensive carry respond?

This is a discussion on Deputies Raid wrong House: How would Defensive carry respond? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ^ I was not commenting on this case. I was commenting on another post that stated LEO's have a job free from lawsuit and consequence....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Deputies Raid wrong House: How would Defensive carry respond?

^ I was not commenting on this case. I was commenting on another post that stated LEO's have a job free from lawsuit and consequence.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    ^ I was not commenting on this case. I was commenting on another post that stated LEO's have a job free from lawsuit and consequence.
    No problem I don't take post personal I just post my honest opinion at the time & have no problem revising my opinion if warranted.
    mlr1m likes this.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Home alarm system cameras can record to a remote server. Bad cops could impound your DVR, but video they cannot retrieve could end up on the evening news. Despite what some people say, I believe a good attorney would have a great day with a case like this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
    Not Necessarily since it is becoming more common for them to Invade the wrong addresses etc. You live in a Fantasy world if you really believe you are somehow safer living next to a LEO. I have lived in the same neighborhood most of my life & I can say we had more speeding on our street, illegal parking etc the more LEOs lived in neighborhood.

We even had Speed Bumps until a LEOs wife thru a fit saying they hurt her car and the city removed them. What no one seemed to realize is she hit them at 40 or more mph.

Incidentally our neighborhood has had very few issues in over 20yrs & luckily our locals don't have a reputation for invading peoples homes.
    Police cars are just a visual deterrent. I feel safer because I lock my doors and have guns to defend my home.

I don't worry too much about criminals , its the cops I worry about. Seems to me, they pull the gun and depend on it, too much.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterbob View Post
    I don't worry too much about criminals , its the cops I worry about. Seems to me, they pull the gun and depend on it, too much.
    The news media just makes it seem that way. We see things on the news and think that they are happening everyday in our local neighborhoods. As far as I can find out there has not been a killing in my small town in nearly a hundred years. Yet if you talk to the folks who live here and watch the news everyday you would think crime is running rampant.

Michael
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DrahtDog View Post
    Pitiful, land of the free? I think not. It must be nice to have a job with next to zero accountability and pretty much immune to lawsuits.
    Welcome to government work, son.

Seriously though, this stuff really disturbs me. I will never forget the wrong-house-raid the ATF conducted (one of many)sometime in the 1990's where the agents shoved the pregnant woman against the wall so hard that she miscarried the baby. And if I recall correctly, no agents were fired over it. To hear that these wrong house raids are still occurring fairly often is truly disgusting. This is not the America I want to live in.

I dont know of any situation where a police officer or department is immune from criminal, or civil sanctions. If someone knows of such a situation please share it... Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
    Tell us how much of your personal money you loose, How much "unpaid" time off work you have, How much un-reimbursed money you personally pay out for your defense even if found Not Guilty & how much you pay personally of any money awarded in any settlement etc etc.....

Doesn't matter if you are Guilty or not of the accusations unless you have to endure the exact same consequences as others it isn't comparable IMO...

But one thing I do agree with you on is we live in a very litigious society now days were frivolous law suits are common place. But as a business owner I worry almost daily about law suits because if there is a settlement I will pay not all the tax payers.

I say this allot but Fair is Fair & Unfair is Unfair.

When Good Guys break in private homes either by Lies, mistake doesn't matter what the excuse they are no longer the Good Guys & should be held accountable for their actions & aftermath. Also no matter if the invaders are wounded or worse the real victims should have 100% immunity from any real or trumped up charges as long as the LEOs are in the wrong no matter the excuse they use.
    My Friend.

As long as a police officer is acting in good faith, and within the law, and in persuant of his official duties he will almost always be indemnified by the political subdivision that employ's him. If an officer arrests a man with an outstanding warrant, and the case is subsiquently dismissed... why should that arrestee be allowed to sue the officer personally? Once an officer pins on his shield or badge he's no longer acting on his own personal behest. He's working and acting for the people. If an officer is using his position and authority to further some personal agenda... He should have no right to be indemnified. If he's acting outside the scope of his duties... He should have no right to be indemnified. If an officer is commiting an illegal act intentionally, or by accident he should have no right to be indemnified.

Like Kb2jwi I have also been sued in civil court. Because most of the time these suits are without merit, they are usually dismissed out of hand. On the rare occasion a suit does make it to court... as long as the officer was working within the scope of his duties, doing a legal act, and he was acting in good faith... He will be indemnified. Even when the plaintif win's a case the Officers portion of the remidy is paid by the municipality.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    My Friend.

As long as a police officer is acting in good faith, and within the law, and in persuant of his official duties he will almost always be indemnified by the political subdivision that employ's him. If an officer arrests a man with an outstanding warrant, and the case is subsiquently dismissed... why should that arrestee be allowed to sue the officer personally? Once an officer pins on his shield or badge he's no longer acting on his own personal behest. He's working and acting for the people. If an officer is using his position and authority to further some personal agenda... He should have no right to be indemnified. If he's acting outside the scope of his duties... He should have no right to be indemnified. If an officer is commiting an illegal act intentionally, or by accident he should have no right to be indemnified.

Like Kb2jwi I have also been sued in civil court. Because most of the time these suits are without merit, they are usually dismissed out of hand. On the rare occasion a suit does make it to court... as long as the officer was working within the scope of his duties, doing a legal act, and he was acting in good faith... He will be indemnified. Even when the plaintif win's a case the Officers portion of the remidy is paid by the municipality.

You said pretty much what I said but with a different spin so we agree mostly.

You also answered my question the officer will not loose anything near equal to a wrongly accused citizen even if the officer is in the wrong because Justice really is very Unbalanced with no real consequences to deter their crossing the thin blue line.

How many people would follow any of the laws if they knew they would have immunity for breaking them? Look Fast & Furious proved those that have immunity don't care what they do.

I have no issue with a wrongly accused officer cleared by a truly impartial investigation not paying for their defense etc. But if the officer is wrong at minimum the officer should pay for the wrong just like any citizen will. I also believe anyone covering for the wrong should be treated as an accomplice after the fact same as a citizen would be.

My opinion has always been Any person charged with upholding our laws should always be held to a higher standard of the law when they are caught on the wrong side of it knowingly. Or to use your words when they are acting on their behest they should loose all protection.

P.S. I have nothing but the utmost RESPECT for a GOOD Officer.
    Everyone has an opinion & this is just mine sorry if it offends anyone.
    ALSO I don't HATE LEOs I just Hold them to a Higher Standard of the LAW & nothing anyone says will change my opinion on this

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links