Deputies Raid wrong House: How would Defensive carry respond?

This is a discussion on Deputies Raid wrong House: How would Defensive carry respond? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Read the article and definitely watch the video. Deputies burst into wrong home looking for suspect - exclusive | abc7.com I take it that the ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Deputies Raid wrong House: How would Defensive carry respond?

Read the article and definitely watch the video.

Deputies burst into wrong home looking for suspect - exclusive | abc7.com

I take it that the Department didn't do their homework before hand, because they raided the house and the suspect has not lived there in two months. The guy was charged with resisting arrest, I'm sure it won't hold up.

I may not survive but I would have opened up until I heard Sheriffs Department, you can't blame a home owner for protecting his home.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    It boggles the mind that he could even be charged with resisting arrest, whether it holds up or not.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    It boggles the mind that he could even be charged with resisting arrest, whether it holds up or not.
    I wasn't there but I assume the reason he was charged is because he didn't immediately go down. So the taser was used on him, they had to justify the use of the taser.

Under their force policy, the use of the taser wasn't justified unless he was he assaulting Deputies. There are exigent circumstances where a taser could be used.

The charge shouldn't hold.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    with compliance. and after that, a very good lawyer.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Lots of innocent people have been hurt and killed by no knock warrants,some were even shooting it out thinking they were being attacked by criminals until they were able to determine that they were real LEO's.
    IMHO the Courts need to Address what seems to becoming just a way for departments to justify their Swat teams by utilizing them as much as possible so the Chief/Sheriff can say we had X number of Swat call outs last year and we need X amount of dollars for these guys next year.
    Texas law states
    (c) The use of force to resist an arrest or search is justified:

(1) if, before the actor offers any resistance, the peace officer (or person acting at his direction) uses or attempts to use greater force than necessary to make the arrest or search; and

(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the peace officer's (or other person's) use or attempted use of greater force than necessary.
    You breach my door and it's the wrong house you just used excessive force to effect an arrest,you are armed and threatening me.
    Awhile back they had fake cops doing home invasions,so if I haven't done anything illegal to warrant a raid I'm going to assume it's a raid by BG's and act accordingly unless and until they identify themselves as LEO to my satisfaction.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    I guess I am confused here. How can you charge someone with resisting arrest when there was no grounds to arrest them in the first place?
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

The LASD SEB (Name of their Team) needs no justification for their existence Just like LAPD since they are the top Teams in the country and belong to top departments.

Yet they do need to do their home work before kicking down doors and tasing people. The possibility of an officer going down under fire is very real if you hit the wrong house of a citizen who is reacting to what he perceives as an home invasion.

According to the guy they didn't yell Sheriffs department until they had already entered I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    I guess I am confused here. How can you charge someone with resisting arrest when there was no grounds to arrest them in the first place?
    The reporter said he was arrested for "Resisting a peace office", not resisting arrest. No way that will stand up given the circumstances, I'd bet.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    To justify the use of the taser.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    That is just scary on so many levels. Add a home defense gun into the mix, and it looks to be bad for everyone.

I am with dukalmighty on this one. I am going to respond as if they are BG's until I have seen some identification.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    The reporter said he was arrested for "Resisting a peace office", not resisting arrest. No way that will stand up given the circumstances, I'd bet.
    Based on the guy account of what happened I can see him not going down immediately.

But the charge shouldn't hold and that door will be fixed.

The more this crap happens, the more I can see people calling for their states to follow Indiana's lead on Castle Doctrine law.

Less than stellar police work. In fact I'd say downright sloppy... maybe even lazy. I thank GOD that neither resident was seriously injured.

Complex Kaos... you say there is no need to justify the need for these special teams such as this S.E.B. unit?... I submit that they tend to look to justify themselves. Every time an incident like this happens it seems there may have been a better or safer way to handle it. The constant use of special weapons teams at every oppertunity is giving police a bad name. In fact special weapons is becoming routine weapons and tactics from over use, and misuse. This incident is a perfect example.

It seems the old tried and true police methods have fallen by the wayside in favor of newer more violent, more intrusive, and more dangerous methods. All for the sake of what? IMO they are trying to re-invent the wheel. I'm not saying that special weapons teams arent valid. IMO They are a revoloutionary part of police work. Pure genius in inception, But overused.

Sorry to anyone I offend.

Spuk!
    sgb, msgt/ret, oneshot and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Less than stellar police work. In fact I'd say downright sloppy... maybe even lazy. I thank GOD that neither resident was seriously injured.

Complex Kaos... you say there is no need to justify the need for these special teams such as this S.E.B. unit?... I submit that they tend to look to justify themselves.
    Spuk!
    No I'm talking about Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department team along with LAPD SWAT. Those two teams need no justification since they essentially the best teams in the nation and have earned their right to exist. Now the smaller teams from small departments are the ones who would need more justification and part time teams.

Yet that doesn't make them exempt from not doing their homework, this is sloppy work that could have end with fatalities on both sides. I'm sire things will be looked over and questions will be answered. Then it will be swept under the rug and things will go back to being normal.

A tragedy will happen on a raid due to sloppy work and it will snowball from there. I think there will be a rash of wrong house raids that will get national attention in the future.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links