12 gauge vs .40 cal vs 5.56 for home defense

This is a discussion on 12 gauge vs .40 cal vs 5.56 for home defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Each one has it's own place in the HD scenario. My first choice for HD would be a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 12 gauge vs .40 cal vs 5.56 for home defense

VIP Member
    Each one has it's own place in the HD scenario. My first choice for HD would be a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

That's my setup.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

I think a lot of it comes down to what you are fighting against. Are you talking a single bum that broke in looking for $20 for his next score? His friend looking for a beer? Or three guys busting your door down looking for your guns at 3:00 am and having guns of their own? (See the articles about the SC gun store owner). Pick the one you are preparing for. If its the first one, then almost anything will work. If it is the latter, then you damned well better have the AR handy, because the distance of the engagement will probably extend to the edge of the property.

As far as penetration goes, see the links that petecamp posted at The Box O' Truth. They also have an article about the best home defense weapon. Educational Zone #143 - What Is the Best Weapon for Home Defense? - A Serious Discussion

As he says, "Do as you please."

That's what worrying me more about ar. You don't know where round will end up after penetrating 1 set of walls.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    That's what worrying me more about ar. You don't know where round will end up after penetrating 1 set of walls.
    I heard the fragmenting 5.56 rounds are good for not going two miles down the road

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

They are also an extremely poor choice for SD. Fragmenting rounds are FMJ rounds at close range unless they hit something solid. Bone basically.

Fail to hit bone and they go clear through with a minimal wound channel. Something I can attest to while using the partitioned round for hunting.

I would never stake my life on fragmenting rounds as my first line of defense. Your life, your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    They are also an extremely poor choice for SD. Fragmenting rounds are FMJ rounds at close range unless they hit something solid. Bone basically.

Fail to hit bone and they go clear through with a minimal wound channel. Something I can attest to while using the partitioned round for hunting.

I would never stake my life on fragmenting rounds as my first line of defense. Your life, your choice.
    Aaah thanx for the info, well I still have my handy Remington 870 and glock 23

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I use all of them, including my .45 for home defense. But I go for either my handguns or 12-ga. shotgun first.

My friend at the gun shop says that the only thing a hand gun is good for is to get you to your long gun when it come to HD. When you talk to HD experts (?) they say that the hand gun is the perfect SD weapon because you can keep it close to you and shoot. The long gun goes out in front of you and can be deflected or worse taken away from you. I agree. So for me my XD-9 is the winner.

As far as your daughter being across the hall....I would make sure her bed is not in the line of fire. She will more than likely be asleep if the intrusion is in the middle of the night. Otherwise I would position myself so that her bedroom was not in the line of fire or get down and aim up to miss her is she was standing up. I watched a defense video on You-Tube and they talked about getting the child into your room if at all possible then hunker down and defend. Another thing to consider would be replacing her door with a metal or solid wood door to help prevent deep penetration into her room. Be sure to train her to get under the bed in case of noise to help her stay safe as well.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by waredbear View Post
    My friend at the gun shop says that the only thing a hand gun is good for is to get you to your long gun when it come to HD. When you talk to HD experts (?) they say that the hand gun is the perfect SD weapon because you can keep it close to you and shoot. The long gun goes out in front of you and can be deflected or worse taken away from you. I agree. So for me my XD-9 is the winner.

As far as your daughter being across the hall....I would make sure her bed is not in the line of fire. She will more than likely be asleep if the intrusion is in the middle of the night. Otherwise I would position myself so that her bedroom was not in the line of fire or get down and aim up to miss her is she was standing up. I watched a defense video on You-Tube and they talked about getting the child into your room if at all possible then hunker down and defend. Another thing to consider would be replacing her door with a metal or solid wood door to help prevent deep penetration into her room. Be sure to train her to get under the bed in case of noise to help her stay safe as well.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Thanks for the advice man

As many have said I think it comes down to the specific situation and what you have the most training / experience with. I personally have the 12 gauge with reduced recoil 00 buck by the bed and the 9mm in the safe unlocked. Plan is I role out of bed and cover the bedroom door while the GF gets to the handgun as she is much more comfortable with the handgun than anything else. Once she is armed I move to the door to investigate while she calls 911. Might not be the best plan but it seems the best to me in our situation

I prefer handgun for HD. It's easier to maneuver with - and plenty effective. If you go around a corner with a shotgun or AR you have to lower the barrel. With a hand gun you can just bring it a little closer to your body and still keep it on target.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Handgun in the house. Stays tighter to my body

I keep a Springfield TRP .45 on my hip when I'm up, and snapped in a holster affixed to my bed frame when I'm sleeping. That's just in case I can't get to the 870 Police Magnum stoked with 00 buck leaning against my dresser (hidden from the door). Several months ago, sheriff's deputies and state troopers in the southern part of this state reportedly shot a man 23 times (mostly torso hits) with AR-15s and multiple times with .40 S&W rounds with little effect. It took a head shot with a .308 sniper rifle to bring the guy down. That's why I prefer a short-barreled 12 gauge for HD.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links