12 gauge vs .40 cal vs 5.56 for home defense

This is a discussion on 12 gauge vs .40 cal vs 5.56 for home defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey forum, I currently have a glock 23 (40 cal) and a remington 870 12 gauge shotgun for home defense. I am getting an AR ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 12 gauge vs .40 cal vs 5.56 for home defense

12 gauge vs .40 cal vs 5.56 for home defense

Hey forum, I currently have a glock 23 (40 cal) and a remington 870 12 gauge shotgun for home defense. I am getting an AR 15 in the next couple of months rather I use it for home defense or not. I have heard that the 5.56 is actually a better home defense round that the .40 caliber when it comes to over penetration. I guess there is a better chance at the 40 over penetrating. Also with the shotgun, if you use slugs definite over penetration, if you use 00 buckshot, you have to be able to control all of the buckshots, and the ones that do miss will over penetrate a lot. And if you use buckshot, there are a lot of pellets that you have to control, plus they may not penetrate enough. Just wondering because I have a daughter and her room is across from mine. Is all if this true? How do you all feel with the rifle in 5.56 in a home defense rifle. Again I ALREADY HAVE A 12 GAUGE AND WILL GET THE AR RATHER I USE IT FOR HD OR NOT. thanks a lot, you guys are very helpful to a novice like myself.

2. Remove Ads

I personally wouldn't use a .223 for HD in your situation. You have the best option already with the 12 gauge and if over-penetration is your concern use #6 shot.
    JerryMac likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I wouldnt use an AR because it is possible to miss, but impossible to miss with a shotgun, right everyone???
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I've heard its not impossible to miss with the shotgun. Regardless I am going to have a ball with my ar lol I just heard the fragmenting 5.56 are pretty darn good

I'm gonna comment on this cause I've been wondering the same thing and I don't know how to subscribe to threads yet ha

sgb
    My #1 go to long gun ....

Just remember that what ever you choose, any ammunition you use in it that's sufficient for self defense use is going to penetrate drywall. Even bird shot (WHICH IS NOT A GOOD CHOICE FOR SELF DEFENSE) will penetrate drywall.

Put together an emergency plan and rehearse it with the family, know your residence and identify and utilize it's defensible choke points.
    rocky, atctimmy, JDE101 and 3 others like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I know some people say they would rather use the rifles, I am more comfortable with my pistol than my shotgun honestly, I like having a single projectile
    Ram Rod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    My #1 go to long gun ....

Just remember that what ever you choose, any ammunition you use in it that's sufficient for self defense use is going to penetrate drywall. Even bird shot (WHICH IS NOT A GOOD CHOICE FOR SELF DEFENSE) will penetrate drywall.

very nice, why did you choose this over a shotgun? just curious

VIP Member
    I got a 40 bedside with night sites and laser. It is a double stack. I don't want to be running thru my house in the middle of the night with a shot gun. I got no problem with the 16.5 inch barrel AR-15 carbine except does not fit in the safe by my bed.

Lead Moderator
    As sgb mentioned. Whatever you use plan ahead and find a choke point that does not use your daughters room as a backstop. I would rather wait to shoot or move to a hallway changing the aiming point.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by cltyus1 View Post
    very nice, why did you choose this over a shotgun? just curious
    Shorter/lighter/quicker to handle, higher ammunition capacity, more precision, lighter recoil and easier for the wife to handle and shoot than the 870.
    nedrgr21 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

With the appropriate bullet, the AR in .223 or 5.56 will penetrate around the same amount of human flesh as the .40, but leave a far more devastating wound channel. You can even find varmint bullets for it that will penetrate less, though at that point you are starting to succumb to the same mentality that leads people to choose birdshot in a shotgun. Bottom line: I'd recommend the 75-gr Hornady TAP .223 or 5.56 for HD should you choose to go the AR route. If you have a small child though, keep in mind the cost/benefit on storage and ease of access, etc. Most people respond first with a handgun, because it is easiest to keep one handy but still inaccessible to a minor, such as a biometric pistol safe like the one I keep on my night stand. Not as easy with a long gun...

Like my G23 for in house (or the 45ACP). I have the 5.56, 7.62, and shotgun as well. You can't compare apples, oranges, and peaches when putting them into the same basket. Apple pie, orange juice, peaches and cream. My rifles and/or shotguns are secondary/backup for the simple home defense scenario. If I knew what was coming exactly I might be better prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    With the appropriate bullet, the AR in .223 or 5.56 will penetrate around the same amount of human flesh as the .40, but leave a far more devastating wound channel. You can even find varmint bullets for it that will penetrate less, though at that point you are starting to succumb to the same mentality that leads people to choose birdshot in a shotgun. Bottom line: I'd recommend the 75-gr Hornady TAP .223 or 5.56 for HD should you choose to go the AR route. If you have a small child though, keep in mind the cost/benefit on storage and ease of access, etc. Most people respond first with a handgun, because it is easiest to keep one handy but still inaccessible to a minor, such as a biometric pistol safe like the one I keep on my night stand. Not as easy with a long gun...
    Yeah, I know my 40 is a lot easier to access, guess it can be used to buy time to get to my AR that will be locked away in case a street gang decides to raid my home lol

Quote Originally Posted by cltyus1 View Post
    Yeah, I know my 40 is a lot easier to access, guess it can be used to buy time to get to my AR that will be locked away in case a street gang decides to raid my home lol
    You never know what might happen. I would think the best method in most cases is to move the child into the room with you, if possible, and wait til the intruder opens the door. If the home invader does so, then you will be waiting with the AR for them. By then the cops should be on their way, because you have been on the phone with them since moving your child into the room that contains your weapons and your phone. That is my strategy anyway, and I think it is the best. Insurance can replace property, but not my life. Locking the BG into the death funnel that is the bedroom door is both tactically sound and legally, is probably the most easily defensible HD method.
    atctimmy likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links