Out of state hotel defense

This is a discussion on Out of state hotel defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been seeing a lot of "thugs" here in Duluth, MN today in our hotel. Pretty sure most of them are wanksters but after witnessing 2 ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By gottabkiddin
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Out of state hotel defense

Been seeing a lot of "thugs" here in Duluth, MN today in our hotel. Pretty sure most of them are wanksters but after witnessing 2 separate exchanges in the parking lot, i have a question.

Not having a permit to carry in MN, when i travel, its unloaded cased legal in the back. Lets say i have to retrieve it assuming theres time, can i without getting charged? Do i really have to retreat in the hotel room before using force?

Not saying i want to or it will happen...l

Since there are various scenarios that could arise, you need to check into Minnesota self defense law and/or an attorney familiar with Minnesota law. All you will get here is speculation which could end up in jail time.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I'd find a better hotel if it was me.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    My thoughts also.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member
    If you travel in MN frequently you might consider obtaining a Utah permit, which is honored in MN.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    You must have loads of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    If you travel in MN frequently you might consider obtaining a Utah permit, which is honored in MN.
    Waiting on it.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post

Waiting on it.
    As a guy who travels to Mexi-fornia three to four days a week, you have two options if finding a better area hotel/motel is out:

1. Carry non-lehtal, i.e., a taser or pepper spray while waiting on your carry permit.
    2. Find a different job. That is if its the job taking you there.

In Mexi-fornia I can carry only non-lethal as none of my permits don't work here! As a note: The only reason I'm going to a Dodger game soon is I'm going with two LE officers and they'll be carrying!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Been seeing a lot of "thugs" here in Duluth, MN today in our hotel. Pretty sure most of them are wanksters but after witnessing 2 separate exchanges in the parking lot, i have a question.

Not having a permit to carry in MN, when i travel, its unloaded cased legal in the back. Lets say i have to retrieve it assuming theres time, can i without getting charged? Do i really have to retreat in the hotel room before using force?
    I haven't seen anything about a duty to retreat, but MN doesn't have Castle Doctrine, either.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/minnesota.pdf

If no ones life or property is being threatened and your in the parking lot can you not just walk or run away? Im no coward but if I did have time to retrieve my gun (Im assuming you mean back of the car?) and load it then I likley had time to leave he area.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

. No not really. I would however put the safety of my family on high and find the safest location possible given the funds available. I'm not, or wasn't meaning to be critical, just honest. While defense is IMO a very important factor in my life. I try to put other variables first and hope that they will provide a good measure of security before I would have to resort to any kind of defensive measure.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I work at a very nice well known hotel that has a big court yard and we follow all state laws. I've even had discussions with a NY supreme court Justice about weapons when I noticed he had a guns and ammo magazine.

Just two days ago we had a man open carrying in the hotel and with my teaching of the other employees they knew it was legal and that it was better to see that knowing that someone is ready to go even if the company "wont allow" you to be..

Lawyers make their living answering such questions. LEOs make their living arresting folks who get it wrong. The internet allows far too much anonymity for me to put a lot of faith in the ANY legal opinions offered by even well-meaning members of this forum. If you see "thugs", then avoid them. If you realize you're in a locale where problems are likely, then change locales. If neither of those options are viable, then go buy legal, non-lethal protection. But to ask "will I be charged if I present a handgun?", I will have to answer YES. And to avoid being convicted, it's likely to cost you LOTS of time & money. Good Luck
    Ionracas likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I'd say that if the firearm where locked in your vehicle, that in a 'fear for your life or of serious harm' that you may be justified in retrieving it. That's just my opinion, of course!

Copying this from my recent post for your perusal: The statutes pertaining to use of force and justifiable taking of life may be found here: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Links