Biometric gun safes. Which ones? - Page 2

Biometric gun safes. Which ones?

This is a discussion on Biometric gun safes. Which ones? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It has been my expereince that biometric readers fail to read fingerprints to often to be used for an emergency. I perfer the Fort Knox ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Biometric gun safes. Which ones?

Senior Moderator
    It has been my expereince that biometric readers fail to read fingerprints to often to be used for an emergency. I perfer the Fort Knox Pistol safe or a similar non-electronic safe.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I have next to no faith in electronics. My experience is that it fails when needed most. Give me a simple key lock.
    Myself along with many people feel the same. On a large safe I prefer a mechanical dial that is UL rated. The electronic keypads seem to fail at a much higher rate from the locksmiths I have asked. They do offer quicker access than a dial and that's seems to be one of the things that make them popular.

When it comes to a quick access handgun safe keyed locks don't work well in the dark. That's why the push-button lock is a good choice. Not only is it reliable, it is easy to open in the dark just by feel.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrowe View Post
    Alright, cool. I have read both good and bad on many safes, and comes across the Barska ones. I just not to sure what to pay. I don't have a ton of money to drop on one. Probably right around the $100 mark. Thanks
    For the price you mentioned you will be looking at the bottom end of biometric scanners. While they work well for some many people complain how finicky they are. I would make sure you buy from a source that you can return easily if you aren't satisfied with it's performance. Also, all the ones that use the push-button mechanical locks will be out of your range as well. The V-line I think starts around $140.00 up to the FAS1 Safe that is $209.00. The Fort Knox is in between.

Alright, thanks everyone. I am not too sure what to do. Might have to spend a little more and go with the 4 finger button ones. Are those more reliable than the finger readers being they are still electronic?

Thanks

Google the model you are interested in along with the word problems and you can get an idea on any issues to look for when deciding.

I would not trust the fingerprint reader to scan my fingerprint if it were wet (blood, sweat, just got out of the shower, etc).

We use a 4-button Gunvault Deluxe. It has two levels - stores our Glock 19 and Ruger LCR on the bottom, and 3 LCPs on the top shelf. It is screwed into the floor on my side of the bed. Keeps the guns away from the kids.
    bigdrowe likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links