Biometric gun safes. Which ones?

Biometric gun safes. Which ones?

This is a discussion on Biometric gun safes. Which ones? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been looking at biometric safes for pistol storage next to my bed. I have little ones, so need to lock it up. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Biometric gun safes. Which ones?

  1. #1
    Member Array bigdrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    151

    Biometric gun safes. Which ones?

    I have been looking at biometric safes for pistol storage next to my bed. I have little ones, so need to lock it up. I have been searching the internet, and have gotten mixed reviews on what to get. I want to fingerprint option(will program same thumb multiple times to cut down on faulty scans), and obviously a key in case scanner fails.

    I have seen Stack-On as low as $90, and others in the $200 range. I am looking for one to hold one or two guns, and gonna be on night stand so not too big. Also looking for inexpensive as possible.

    I am sure there is the "You get what you pay for" theory, but I am sure there are people who have good luck with the cheaper ones.

    Let me know your thoughts, what to look for, what to stay away from.

    Thanks, bigdrowe


  2. #2
    Member Array FAS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    257
    If you are set on an electronic or biometric handgun safe, you might look at this to see if any of these issues would concern you or not. Info and videos on this page. None of it addresses how easily you can get in most of them with simple tools since most are very light gauge steel.

    DETAILED REPORT ON THE INSECURITY OF GUN SAFES MADE BY LEADING U.S. MANUFACTURERS: STACK-ON, GUNVAULT, AND BULLDOG



    There's a Defcon video out there too called Safe to Armed in Seconds that deals with picking the locks easily or defeating a mechanism. (Language Warning).

    Safe to Armed in Seconds
    RemMod597 likes this.

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,891
    Well from personal experience I picked up a GunVault NVB 400 - Biometric Fingerprint NanoVault Gun Safe from eBay. It was locked, the seller explained that the keys were locked inside the safe where he placed them, and before he added batteries he closed the safe and it was locked. The seller did provide me with the key numbers that were stamped on each key. Well for the $30.00 I picked it up and figured I could call gunvault and get replacement keys or just pick the cylinder lock, and if not, it was only a $30.00 loss. Well the gunvault folks were of no help and I couldn’t pick the lock. Still determined to get it open, I sent it off to a locksmith, in which he had no success in picking the lock either. He informed me the easiest way to get into this type of lock was to drill it out and gave me instructions how to do this.
    Once home and 15 minutes later I was in the safe, and just as the seller said the keys were right where he said, but at this point useless. I then went back to the internet in search of replacement a high security cylinder lock. I found the type used for Vending Machines bought one for $10.00 and replaced the lock and has been working great ever since.
    So my point to the long ramble is that the cylinder lock is hard to pick but very easy to drill. If the battery goes dead be sure you know where the key is.

  4. #4
    New Member Array CROW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    1
    I don`t think the point of the safe is to protect from being stolen, but to protect from kids having access.

  5. #5
    Member Array Roon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    265
    I am using a Barska. Nothing but good things to say about it and from what I can tell is not on any of those video's.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array RubenZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    RGV,Tx
    Posts
    580
    I think any of the small gun safes are easy to break. The point is more to keep kids out of them
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array peckman28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,104
    I have a couple of the Gunvault biometric micro-size pistol boxes. My wife and I have been very happy with them. I'm under no illusion they will stop a determined burglar, but they keep little hands out while keeping the weapon readily accessible for the adults whose fingerprints are programmed into it. I'd have no trouble recommending them for that purpose. You want to make it hard for a determined thief? Get a heavy, fire-proof long gun safe and drill it into your floor in the basement. Obviously if you do that you'll have a hard time getting them out in time to respond to a defensive situation though. It's all about the trade-offs you're willing to make. Once you've determined your priorities, you'll have an idea which product you should be using. The Gunvault has worked as advertised for me.

  8. #8
    Member Array KingWalleye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Peoples Republik of Illinois
    Posts
    135
    From my own experience you will want to "enroll" yours and your wife's fingers several times into the reader. They are notorious for not reading the first time and the last thing you want is for it not to open when you really, really need it.

  9. #9
    Member Array bigdrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by CROW View Post
    I don`t think the point of the safe is to protect from being stolen, but to protect from kids having access.
    Exactly...I am not worried about it being stolen being that most likely the only time it will be in that safe is when I am sleeping, or at home anyways. I want to keep my kids away from it, and still have a quick security guard when needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    If you are set on an electronic or biometric handgun safe, you might look at this to see if any of these issues would concern you or not. Info and videos on this page. None of it addresses how easily you can get in most of them with simple tools since most are very light gauge steel.

    Thanks, I will take a look at the vids, but like mentioned, I am not worried about it being stolen, worried about the kids.

    DETAILED REPORT ON THE INSECURITY OF GUN SAFES MADE BY LEADING U.S. MANUFACTURERS: STACK-ON, GUNVAULT, AND BULLDOG



    There's a Defcon video out there too called Safe to Armed in Seconds that deals with picking the locks easily or defeating a mechanism. (Language Warning).

    Safe to Armed in Seconds
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    I am using a Barska. Nothing but good things to say about it and from what I can tell is not on any of those video's.
    Alright, cool. I have read both good and bad on many safes, and comes across the Barska ones. I just not to sure what to pay. I don't have a ton of money to drop on one. Probably right around the $100 mark. Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I have a couple of the Gunvault biometric micro-size pistol boxes. My wife and I have been very happy with them. I'm under no illusion they will stop a determined burglar, but they keep little hands out while keeping the weapon readily accessible for the adults whose fingerprints are programmed into it. I'd have no trouble recommending them for that purpose. You want to make it hard for a determined thief? Get a heavy, fire-proof long gun safe and drill it into your floor in the basement. Obviously if you do that you'll have a hard time getting them out in time to respond to a defensive situation though. It's all about the trade-offs you're willing to make. Once you've determined your priorities, you'll have an idea which product you should be using. The Gunvault has worked as advertised for me.
    Thanks, I came across Gunvault too. Will check into it.

    Quote Originally Posted by KingWalleye View Post
    From my own experience you will want to "enroll" yours and your wife's fingers several times into the reader. They are notorious for not reading the first time and the last thing you want is for it not to open when you really, really need it.
    Definitely!!! I have heard that many of the safes will hold 30+ fingerprints, so I plan to do mine and my wifes hand about 7-10' for both thumbs.


    Thanks for the replies everyone. Will take all into consideration

  10. #10
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Posts
    17,279
    I have next to no faith in electronics. My experience is that it fails when needed most. Give me a simple key lock.
    pgrass101 and RemMod597 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  11. #11
    Distinguished Member
    Array fastk9dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,554
    Barska. Not cheap, but the biometrics are top notch. I think Stack-On has a few rebranded models, but not all of their bios safes use the same tech.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

  12. #12
    Member Array bigdrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    151
    So if I can find a cheap barska, that is the company to go with?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array RubenZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    RGV,Tx
    Posts
    580
    This is one I use and I like it so far. It fits 2 full sized pistols and a pocket pistol.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

  14. #14
    Member Array bigdrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    This is one I use and I like it so far. It fits 2 full sized pistols and a pocket pistol.
    That's pretty cheap. My only problem with only have a number pad is my wife may forget the code when needed the most because of nerves. Whole reason I want to go with the thumb reader ones.

    Thank you though, and I may have to settle for something like this.

    Thanks

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array RubenZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    RGV,Tx
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrowe View Post
    That's pretty cheap. My only problem with only have a number pad is my wife may forget the code when needed the most because of nerves. Whole reason I want to go with the thumb reader ones.

    Thank you though, and I may have to settle for something like this.

    Thanks
    You cant see it on the PIC, but under the tab to left of Keypad is a Backup KEY. You could just use a key instead.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best biometric gun safe

,
best fingerprint gun safe
,

biometric gun safe

,

biometric gun safe reviews

,
biometric gun safes
,
biometric handgun safe
,
biometric pistol safe
,
biometric pistol safe reviews
,
biometric safe reviews
,
fingerprint gun safe
,
fingerprint gun safe reviews
,
pistol safe reviews
Click on a term to search for related topics.