Georgia to Florida travel with gun in jeep

This is a discussion on Georgia to Florida travel with gun in jeep within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hi everyone. i will be taking a family vacation soon. i will be driving my family from Georgia to Florida and i don't have a ...

Thread: Georgia to Florida travel with gun in jeep

hi everyone. i will be taking a family vacation soon. i will be driving my family from Georgia to Florida and i don't have a conceal carry permit. i was wondering if anyone has any experience on this. i just want to make sure that i can carry my pistol in my jeep, holstered and in the glove compartment and magazine and ammo separate. i was wondering if i get pulled over, if this is legal. i just want to make sure i am complying with state laws from state to state.

check the ushandgunlaws link on the concealed carry disscusion page. very good info there.

iv'e checked it, but it doesn't tell me if it's legal to carry a pistol in my vehicle if im from a different state.

According to Federal Travel law the glove compartment is a no go,must be in a locked container separate from ammo. like one of these that come in a keyed or combination
    In Car Gun Lockers

Federal Law on Transportation of Firearms

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearms if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

looks like i'll be carrying a one pound can of pepper spray in the jeep instead of my pistol.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    In FL, anyone who can legally possess a firearm (over 18, no felonies, etc.) can conceal a handgun in a private conveyance Meaning "non-commercial, no taxis. public transport. Friend's car is a private conveyance) as long as it's securely encased and NOT on the person (unless one has a CC license). As you can see by the definition below, you can store a firearm in your glovebox or nearly anything else that is enclosed (console, zippered or latched guncase, snapped holster, etc.).

Bold - my emphasis

FL 790.25: (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

790.01: (17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Short version: firearm must be concealed and secured in something that must be opened, though not "unlocked." The firearm does not have to be unloaded. It does not have to be "out of reach," etc. It cannot be "on you." If you have a CC permit honored by FL, then you are good to go on all accounts.

Because you stated you do not hace a CC permit, what you do with your firearm once you reach your destination is another issue since you cannot conceal it on your person nor carry it openly. It can be carried unloaded and in a case into your place of abode, where you are staying.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Oldvet, thank you for your response. i was very specific regarding florida law. i will put my pistol in a snapped holster in a glove compartment, secured away from ammunition. i understand florida law, i just want to make sure that i can transport my pistol from Georgia to Florida without a conceal carry permit, adhering to florida law when i cross state lines. i just want to be able to have a way to protect my family while traveling across state lines. i also want to make sure that everyone knows that i am a Georgia citizen and not a florida citizen.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bersafan View Post
    Oldvet, thank you for your response. i was very specific regarding florida law. i will put my pistol in a snapped holster in a glove compartment, secured away from ammunition. i understand florida law, i just want to make sure that i can transport my pistol from Georgia to Florida without a conceal carry permit, adhering to florida law when i cross state lines. i just want to be able to have a way to protect my family while traveling across state lines. i also want to make sure that everyone knows that i am a Georgia citizen and not a florida citizen.
    Your Georgia resident status makes no difference. As OldVet noted, any person who can lawfully own a firearm can carry it concealed in a vehicle so long as it is "securely encased". Per Jon Gutmacher's book Florida Firearms (which is pretty much the authoritative work on Florida gun laws), in the glovebox counts as "securely encased". You do not need to store the firearm separate from ammunition under Florida law. Loaded is perfectly acceptable under the law.

One caveat - if you elect to keep a gun in the glovebox, keep your license, registration and proof of insurance somewhere else.

Also, you may hear someone tell you about a "three-step rule" for carrying a gun in a vehicle in Florida. For some reason, that one won't fade away, but there no "three-step rule".

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    FL law doesn't state "residents only," it applies to residents and non-residents alike.

The quoted "Federal statute" is misapplied. Its intent is to allow you to transport firearms from one place to another regardless of statle/local laws. It doesn't say it "has" to be unloaded and trunked, but can be transported as such regardless of state/local laws. While some states do not respect the Federal law (NY to mention one), there is no prohibition on transporting a firearm from state to state under federal law if the stated requirements are met.

If you can legally conceal a loaded firearm in GA without a permit (I don't know the answer; you should), you would be legal just the same in FL as long as you have it concealed and "securely encased." I will say this: Print out a copy of the FL statute 790 to have on hand as some "un-educated" LEOs do not know the concealed laws as it applies in FL. I know this for a fact having worked with them and asking them about concealed guns in vehicles. I opened a few eyes on the non-believers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsored Links