Magnetic Pistol Attacher for the Bedroom

This is a discussion on Magnetic Pistol Attacher for the Bedroom within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Greetings - saw an ad for a device that contains a large magnet that can be attached to your nightstand to hold your pistol ready ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Magnetic Pistol Attacher for the Bedroom

Greetings - saw an ad for a device that contains a large magnet that can be attached to your nightstand to hold your pistol ready for a "quick grab" in the middle of the night. Obviously not a good idea with kids in the house, but if there are no children, seems a good option for rapid access, and for a pistol with a laser (I have a holster attached to my nightstand - it's not laser friendly). I wonder if it would work OK with just a steel slide on a polymer frame? Could there be any issue with magnetizing metal parts in the pistol wiht continual use every night over time? Anyone familiar with this type of device, or have tried it?

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Me personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with any type of "holster" that leaves the trigger exposed. Go on YouTube and you will find videos about them and how you can make your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Geobob View Post
    Greetings - saw an ad for a device that contains a large magnet that can be attached to your nightstand to hold your pistol ready for a "quick grab" in the middle of the night. Obviously not a good idea with kids in the house, but if there are no children, seems a good option for rapid access, and for a pistol with a laser (I have a holster attached to my nightstand - it's not laser friendly). I wonder if it would work OK with just a steel slide on a polymer frame? Could there be any issue with magnetizing metal parts in the pistol wiht continual use every night over time? Anyone familiar with this type of device, or have tried it?
    Yes, I've used this for a while and it works. A carbon-steel slide will stick to a magnet. What's more is you don't need a special gizmo for this to work. You don't need to attach anything to the gun itself, either. You don't need to spend a fortune. $5 at OfficeMax will do. Ask for "self-adhesive dot magnets". Different brands/sizes of magnets will have different strength, so shop a bit.

It would be a good idea to cover the magnet with a soft cloth so as not to mar your gun's finish. Also, depending on the laser you have, use care not to let any computer component of that laser near the magnet. Many lasers with variable setting use a computer to manage those setting, and accidentely letting the magnet near that laser will ruin it.

The exposed trigger concern is also valid, and is one of the reasons I went with a SpringfieldXD. One has to be properly holding the pistol and putting pressure on the trigger for all 3 safeties to disengage.

Geobob- I have a couple of these and they work great, I have one holding my LC9 under my computer desk as I type this.

Magnet Concealed Gun Holder / Bed Holster / Under Desk | eBay

For use at a desk, I don't WANT the trigger covered. I want to be able to simply put my hand on the gun and shoot right through the front of the desk.

GBBall and ArmyMan - thank for the info and links. I will check them out. Sounds like something that would fit my particular situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    Me personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with any type of "holster" that leaves the trigger exposed. Go on YouTube and you will find videos about them and how you can make your own.
    I have one mounted to my nightstand on the side and it works great and to adress the open trigger I had a saf-t-blok and lost it so now I use a MIC holster to cover the trigger for safety... look on line and you can get one for about 8 bucks or make one for about 3 bucks

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The only issue is that after a while the bullets become magnetized and when fired will turn and head for the north pole (South Pole for you Downunders). GPS-guided bullets will overcome any magnetic variations though.
    Caertaker likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsored Links