My Get Home Bag

This is a discussion on My Get Home Bag within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldVet I think buildup of carbon monoxide would be a greater concern than lack of oxygen. It is and the cracked window ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: My Get Home Bag

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think buildup of carbon monoxide would be a greater concern than lack of oxygen.
    It is and the cracked window acts as an air exchange, lets' old air out and new air in. You can rig the mylar blanket so teh air comes in the window travels between the mylar and interior of the car (which heats up the air) and the warm air exhuasts out of the top of another window.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I forgot to mention something my wife made me include a couple of years ago when we first tested the bag.....Toilet paper, we now have half a roll (with no tube) in the bag.
    kerberos likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    If it's cold out, a bit of ventilation makes it seem warmer by letting saturated air out. Weird, but true. Found that out in a plastic shed I used for a kitchen.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A jug of water, a case of vienna sausages and a case of beenie-weenies--what else does one need?
    scgunlover1 and pistola like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    A jug of water, a case of vienna sausages and a case of beenie-weenies--what else does one need?
    Mac N Cheese. Obviously.
    Flex likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Mac & cheese. Of course. A little bit tough to eat of of the box though.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Mac & cheese. Of course. A little bit tough to eat of of the box though.
    Nah. Toss the mac-n-cheese and eat the box. You need the fiber to avoid constipation.

I keep a Mossberg in the trunk. I firgure I can use it to take someone elses Get Home Bag if push comes to shove.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanAction View Post
    I keep a Mossberg in the trunk. I firgure I can use it to take someone elses Get Home Bag if push comes to shove.
    You may have noticed that the type of person who keeps a BOB is relatively well prepared and generally armed. So in actuality you'll just be the guy with a Mossberg and no Mac & Cheese. Sad day.
    QKShooter and Flex like this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I forgot to mention something my wife made me include a couple of years ago when we first tested the bag.....Toilet paper, we now have half a roll (with no tube) in the bag.
    We stumbled across these in preparation for a trip to Guam (where not all restrooms have paper products)

Cotton Buds Toilet Tissue To Go - 75 sheet roll

There's a number of other "travel sized" products available that also work well with bug out / get home bags :)
    pgrass101 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    I also have a small chipmunk 22 rifle in my bob I think I paid around 100 bucks for it a a LGS with 200 round in the bottom of the bag. Love to get one of those break down 10-22s being made now. I haven't even seen one around since the December panic set in.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    A Get Home Bag is something that I have been thinking about. As I work about 60 miles from home it would take me a couple to a few days to get home and I could plan on having to camp out overnight. Undoubtedly if the crisis is going on multiple days and even transportation is down, things would likely start getting ugly. As I work in a non guns even in parking lot zone, I often times park off campus and take a bus in for the last 10 miles. This puts the complication on me of needing two bags, one to get from here to where I am parked and then one from there home.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I often times park off campus and take a bus in for the last 10 miles. This puts the complication on me of needing two bags, one to get from here to where I am parked and then one from there home.
    Since you are only going to need to go 10 miles to get to your car, you will just need some good shoes, water and a snack. This shouldn't be to hard and you should be able to make it without the snack or water but I would always carry a water bottle that I could refill. Plus a good knife and you should be set

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    No one points out the obvious things like a woman...

Gotta love 'em !!!

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I work away from my home... Usually between 60 and a hundred miles. So I also carry a get home bag. If my vehical should become disabled, and I'm forced to walk. I keep three bottles of water ( i like the distilled water idea), two changes of underwear and sox, one change of outerwear, a rain suit, a small first aid kit, several energy bars, a beater colt official police revolver with 50 rounds of .38, a skinning knife, and waterproof matches, and a pair of work gloves. This works for Florida. I realize that Florida residents have a bit more leway when it comes to firearms.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links