Warning to would be robbers - Page 2

Warning to would be robbers

This is a discussion on Warning to would be robbers within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think it'd be better to have a home security system sign out front than to advertise you have firearms....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Warning to would be robbers

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I think it'd be better to have a home security system sign out front than to advertise you have firearms.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Sign is racist, needs to be printed in more languages.
    Signs are printed in language common to the place posted, sure, given the predominant language needed to communicate the message. That's not ethnically biased. It's simply common sense, lest the message be lost.

As some have suggested, a head on a pike might be less apt to be misconstrued by criminals. Though, I can't imagine what the neighbors would think.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

For those against posting a sign, my response is-- it helped us win the cold war. The Russkies didn't give up because they wanted more McDonalds in their mother land.
    But, more seriously, unlike open carry, the robbers don't really know what they're getting into. They know it's a house, and if they've been casing it for months, they'll know any patterns you develop, so there's really nothing you can do about it. But, again, if it's a theft of convenience, I stand my ground that they'll more likely than not skip any house that has signs of armed owners.
    I'm sorry, but the gun is not really worth more than the computers, televisions and jewelry in my house. Odds are, they'll not be able to get into my safe but damn sure will be able to lift my LED off the wall mount and bag up a Mac or two. Fence those items and go get the gun of their choice from some hood.
    I haven't read about some group of thieves being caught who commented that they would drive through neighborhoods looking for houses with signs of obvious 2nd Amendment believers and only break into their houses.
    All that said, leaving a gun in open view in your vehicle while you're not home is one step away from thinking Drain-O is a wonderful flavoring additive to any meatloaf.

VIP Member
    Speak softly and carry a big stick.

I have good security system, adequate security signage posted, I go out of my way to carefully conceal when I carry, I don't volunteer gun topics in conversation, nor reveal in any cavalier manner my investment in firearms.

I look neither like a victim, nor an operator. I AM GREY MAN! (can that be my super-hero character?)
    GeorgiaDawg, joker1 and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    While I don't generally advertise anything, I find all of the signs posted here very entertaining and humerous.

I also like the sign that points to the guy next door and says That guy believes in gun control --------------------->
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Signs are printed in language common to the place posted, sure, given the predominant language needed to communicate the message. That's not ethnically biased. It's simply common sense, lest the message be lost.

As some have suggested, a head on a pike might be less apt to be misconstrued by criminals. Though, I can't imagine what the neighbors would think.
    My post was satire. In no way shape or form do I think anything published for distribution in the USA should be printed in any other language than english. In my part of the state you see 2 languages on damn near anything. Unless it's the other language, they don't post 2 languages just the one they like to use.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Maybe I am just old fashioned, but i hate to ruin that surprised look they get when they realize they are in my sights.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Dobie-O-Matic.jpgDog Missile.jpg

Okay, okay. If I can't post a warning about my guns, how about my dogs?

I like the sign that says, "My neighbor doesn't believe I should have the right to keep and bear arms. If you rob his house instead of mine, I promise not to offend him by using my guns to protect him."

I don't have any signs on my cars or house. My 62 Volkswagen is covered with peace signs and flower power graffiti. Easy to be peaceful when you are armed.
    Last edited by BugDude; August 21st, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
    tricolordad and msgt/ret like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Now would it be more or less racist to have a sign in spanish if you lived in the south? More racist because you are assuming the criminals will be hispanic, or less racist for providing a warning in a manner that the "minority" can read? Or could you be less racist by having a sign in english since that would be assuming the criminals are "white", right?

Not a real question, I just had to pull the thread a little more and see if the knot comes undone. I love playing the twisted devil's advocate.

I agree that the shape of a pistol is pretty universal.
    joker1 and msgt/ret like this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Pros and cons, IMO. It's a feel-good, surely, but whether it's actually achieving the intended goal is open to question. I'd think robbers that enter such a home would be far more willing to come in blasting, if they're forewarned they're about (or very likely) to meet gunfire. Personally, I'd prefer them to underestimate the target.
    I'm not sure that it's possible in my case. I shoot a bulk box every couple of days. I talked to my wife about this, she said it's probably impossible for somebody to try and force the door and not know I'm packing heat since I made my own range. That and the NRA stickers all over the vehicles, the veteran plates etc. lol

Funny in a way. Take it for what it is. Warning for wobbers? Silly wabbit.....stickers are for kids.
    Besides......slap that on your front door and it might be construed as a disposition to kill. Best warning for robbers is to catch them in the act...and make sure they don't tax the taxpayers or make anyone else a victim again. Once the housebreaker death hits the morning news....the message will get out soon enough. Stickers are seldom a deterrent although they may be cool to look at and give you a false sense of security.
    joker1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    When the Tornado destroyed Tuscaloosa last year we lived right on the edge of the rampage and had some damage (stupid tree decided my house should be a convertible) I put a "you loot I shoot" sign that I spray painted on my front yard. It was interesting to say the least.
    After Hurricane Andrew, my fil spray painted "Loot n Shoot" on his house. He was targeted anyway and shot at by looters in broad daylight.

As to the question about shelters, I believe you cannot bring a weapon, although I admit I haven't researched it. Personally I would stay with friends, family, a tent in the backyard before I'd stay at a shelter if my house was completely uninhabitable.

I saw the sign in the op bouncing on Facebook the other day. Made me grin and I saved it on my iPad. I wouldn't put it on the front door though.

VIP Member
    ATTENTION:

Before proceeding fill out card stating where you want the body sent;

Otherwise it will be used for experimental purposes.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    All it says is: Guns available here!" The vast majority of break-ins are when residents are away, so the sign is pointless, except for those who think they're cute.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links