Warning to would be robbers

This is a discussion on Warning to would be robbers within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by PIMking When the Tornado destroyed Tuscaloosa last year we lived right on the edge of the rampage and had some damage (stupid ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Warning to would be robbers

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    When the Tornado destroyed Tuscaloosa last year we lived right on the edge of the rampage and had some damage (stupid tree decided my house should be a convertible) I put a "you loot I shoot" sign that I spray painted on my front yard. It was interesting to say the least.
    Blatant premeditation--just saying. You know a prosecutor would.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

I fly the "Don't tread on me" also NRA on every door. In the Milwaukee Area, you bet I want to be noticed and left alone....it works!
    Crowman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    The bravado of such signs is lame in my opinion. They will do more harm than good and possibly invite a break in.

You have just advertised that there is something even more valuable in the home than the typical home furnishings.

I really question the mentality of those who want to advertise their guns to the world.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I want to maintain the element of surprise.

It's the same with the folks that want to run off the home invader with racking the shotgun. The first sound to be heard from my shotgun will be boom.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Armey View Post
    I fly the "Don't tread on me" also NRA on every door. In the Milwaukee Area, you bet I want to be noticed and left alone....it works!
    Well, so far it has, but so has my complete lack of the same.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine181 View Post
    just how innocent do you want to look though?

What do you guys think would be a good middle ground to where you don't look like a target for a random burglar but also don't look like a threat to one that is ready to shoot?
    IMO, it's about being under the radar, avoiding both "innocence" (naivete, likely target) and bristling advanced warning. IMO, it's about the simple lifestyle and tactics changes we can make in our daily lives that can make a world of difference, without advertising much.

While at home: having garaged vehicles; having videocams (or at least fake ones); having a decent-sized dog; having a decent perimeter / early-warning warning system; having neighbors involved and aware of the neighborhood's traffic patterns and "kosher" visitors.

While out and about: having good awareness; keeping an eye on strangers; avoiding risky spots (ie, don't lollygag upwind of a blind hedgerow); doubling up with others, whenever possible; shoot-n-scoot (ie, avoiding heads-down attention grabbing activities; aka get-r-done).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My response to unwelcome visitors will speak volumes when read in the next morning paper or when seen "Breaking News Alert", Home Invasion Stopped by Homeowner!!!! I don't think any "sign" could top that....JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Only sign we have.

EmergencyPets.jpg

If someone were to break in they will quickly learn the error of their ways.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links