Warning to would be robbers

6K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  msgt/ret 
#1 ·
Gun Firearm Trigger Font Photography

Print and slap on the front door.

See less See more
#3 ·
Warning to would be robbers
Pros and cons, IMO. It's a feel-good, surely, but whether it's actually achieving the intended goal is open to question. I'd think robbers that enter such a home would be far more willing to come in blasting, if they're forewarned they're about (or very likely) to meet gunfire. Personally, I'd prefer them to underestimate the target.

#26 ·
I'm not sure that it's possible in my case. I shoot a bulk box every couple of days. I talked to my wife about this, she said it's probably impossible for somebody to try and force the door and not know I'm packing heat since I made my own range. That and the NRA stickers all over the vehicles, the veteran plates etc. lol

#4 ·
^^I've been wondering about things like this... just how innocent do you want to look though? do you want "save the whales" stickers and peace signs decorated throughout your cars or home? or do you want to have NRA stickers and a "don't tread on me" flag outside (local house has one ha)? What do you guys think would be a good middle ground to where you don't look like a target for a random burglar but also don't look like a threat to one that is ready to shoot?

#35 ·
just how innocent do you want to look though?

What do you guys think would be a good middle ground to where you don't look like a target for a random burglar but also don't look like a threat to one that is ready to shoot?
IMO, it's about being under the radar, avoiding both "innocence" (naivete, likely target) and bristling advanced warning. IMO, it's about the simple lifestyle and tactics changes we can make in our daily lives that can make a world of difference, without advertising much.

While at home: having garaged vehicles; having videocams (or at least fake ones); having a decent-sized dog; having a decent perimeter / early-warning warning system; having neighbors involved and aware of the neighborhood's traffic patterns and "kosher" visitors.

While out and about: having good awareness; keeping an eye on strangers; avoiding risky spots (ie, don't lollygag upwind of a blind hedgerow); doubling up with others, whenever possible; shoot-n-scoot (ie, avoiding heads-down attention grabbing activities; aka get-r-done).

#7 ·
I always wondered:

If your home and car are trashed and you're ordered to evacuate to a crisis shelter which is a legal gun-free zone, like a local school....what do you do with your gun?

#6 ·
Comes down to each their own....

Some believe such signs/flags deter home invasions.......

Some believe such signs/flags invite home invasions.......

Food for thought many posters on this forum have stated that no weapons signs at businesses invite criminals. Seems a sign saying one is armed would deter criminals..... Just saying.......

Product

Font Text Poster

#10 ·
Screenshot Pc game Games

Counter terrorists never seemed to be too good at following orders

#11 ·
I'm willing to err on the side of it being a precaution. If it's a 'professional' burglar, as opposed to a theft of convenience, probably nothing you can do about it anyway. Besides, if they have truly been casing my house out, they will have seen me leaving for the range with different, uh, bundles, at least once a week.
But, I'm willing to bet if it's just someone searching for open windows and doors, they'll be far less willing to risk it. And, if either group decides to break in, they better bring some good tools to break into my Liberty, anyway. Oh, and get past the two dogs and home alarm.
It's not the quiet guy I'm scared of. It's the guy slamming a machete down on the end of his desk screaming that he's gonna kill the next person who sneezes. Or something along those lines.

#13 ·
Luckily, the pistol is pretty universal.

#15 ·
The bravado of such signs is lame in my opinion. They will do more harm than good and possibly invite a break in.

You have just advertised that there is something even more valuable in the home than the typical home furnishings.

I really question the mentality of those who want to advertise their guns to the world.

#16 ·
I think it'd be better to have a home security system sign out front than to advertise you have firearms.

Reactions: WHEC724
#17 ·
Sign is racist, needs to be printed in more languages.
Signs are printed in language common to the place posted, sure, given the predominant language needed to communicate the message. That's not ethnically biased. It's simply common sense, lest the message be lost.

As some have suggested, a head on a pike might be less apt to be misconstrued by criminals. Though, I can't imagine what the neighbors would think.

#21 ·
My post was satire. In no way shape or form do I think anything published for distribution in the USA should be printed in any other language than english. In my part of the state you see 2 languages on damn near anything. Unless it's the other language, they don't post 2 languages just the one they like to use.

#18 ·
For those against posting a sign, my response is-- it helped us win the cold war. The Russkies didn't give up because they wanted more McDonalds in their mother land.
But, more seriously, unlike open carry, the robbers don't really know what they're getting into. They know it's a house, and if they've been casing it for months, they'll know any patterns you develop, so there's really nothing you can do about it. But, again, if it's a theft of convenience, I stand my ground that they'll more likely than not skip any house that has signs of armed owners.
I'm sorry, but the gun is not really worth more than the computers, televisions and jewelry in my house. Odds are, they'll not be able to get into my safe but damn sure will be able to lift my LED off the wall mount and bag up a Mac or two. Fence those items and go get the gun of their choice from some hood.
I haven't read about some group of thieves being caught who commented that they would drive through neighborhoods looking for houses with signs of obvious 2nd Amendment believers and only break into their houses.
All that said, leaving a gun in open view in your vehicle while you're not home is one step away from thinking Drain-O is a wonderful flavoring additive to any meatloaf.

#19 ·
Speak softly and carry a big stick.

I have good security system, adequate security signage posted, I go out of my way to carefully conceal when I carry, I don't volunteer gun topics in conversation, nor reveal in any cavalier manner my investment in firearms.

I look neither like a victim, nor an operator. I AM GREY MAN! (can that be my super-hero character?)

#23 ·
Chair Art
Photo caption German shepherd dog Police dog Photography Adaptation

Okay, okay. If I can't post a warning about my guns, how about my dogs?

#24 · (Edited)
I like the sign that says, "My neighbor doesn't believe I should have the right to keep and bear arms. If you rob his house instead of mine, I promise not to offend him by using my guns to protect him."

I don't have any signs on my cars or house. My 62 Volkswagen is covered with peace signs and flower power graffiti. Easy to be peaceful when you are armed.

#25 ·
Now would it be more or less racist to have a sign in spanish if you lived in the south? More racist because you are assuming the criminals will be hispanic, or less racist for providing a warning in a manner that the "minority" can read? Or could you be less racist by having a sign in english since that would be assuming the criminals are "white", right?

Not a real question, I just had to pull the thread a little more and see if the knot comes undone. I love playing the twisted devil's advocate.

I agree that the shape of a pistol is pretty universal.

#27 ·
Funny in a way. Take it for what it is. Warning for wobbers? Silly wabbit.....stickers are for kids.
Besides......slap that on your front door and it might be construed as a disposition to kill. Best warning for robbers is to catch them in the act...and make sure they don't tax the taxpayers or make anyone else a victim again. Once the housebreaker death hits the morning news....the message will get out soon enough. Stickers are seldom a deterrent although they may be cool to look at and give you a false sense of security.

Reactions: joker1
#29 ·
ATTENTION:

Before proceeding fill out card stating where you want the body sent;

Otherwise it will be used for experimental purposes.

#30 ·
All it says is: Guns available here!" The vast majority of break-ins are when residents are away, so the sign is pointless, except for those who think they're cute.

Reactions: ccw9mm
#34 ·
Well, so far it has, but so has my complete lack of the same.

#36 ·
My response to unwelcome visitors will speak volumes when read in the next morning paper or when seen "Breaking News Alert", Home Invasion Stopped by Homeowner!!!! I don't think any "sign" could top that....JMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.